Soxtalk Community Prediction: AJ Pierzynski

Heads22

This was a little idea that I had that can help burn some time and keep some action on the Pale Hose board. The plan here is to give your projection and your thoughts on members of the Sox 25 man roster. I figured we'd start with the man behind the plate, and work out from there.

So how do you all think AJ will do this year? Will his average dip? Will his homers go back up? Will he get hit in the grill once more?

Discuss. :cheers :)

I think with Toby Hall as the backup, AJ will have a great year. AJ hits righites at a 300+ clip, so I think by limiting his at-bats against lefties, AJ will have a .310 average, 12 homers, 65 RBIs. He will be rested during the year plenty, so I don't expect a decline in average in the second half of the year like last year. IMO, he will be a top 10 hitter for parts of the year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Honestly, I think that only AJ is untouchable on this team unless we received a package of Nathan, Liriano and Bonser-proportions, but that won't ever happen.

But even then, I'd be upset about losing AJ.

I don't agree that AJ is untouchable even for a fair price, but I completly agree with your reasoning. AJ is the heart of this team and gives the Sox a mental toughness that White Sox teams usually never have. To me, he is very much like Olin Kreutz, the glue that holds the team together. In a fight he is the first guy out there to help protect his teammates (even if that means getting involved in the fight). He really should be co-captains with Paulie.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
I don't agree that AJ is untouchable even for a fair price, but I completly agree with your reasoning. AJ is the heart of this team and gives the Sox a mental toughness that White Sox teams usually never have. To me, he is very much like Olin Kreutz, the glue that holds the team together. In a fight he is the first guy out there to help protect his teammates (even if that means getting involved in the fight). He really should be co-captains with Paulie.

I just don't think I'd trade away Pierzynski, not just because he's so valuable as a glue but because we haven't got s*** to replace him with. (Toby Hall would not be a good answer, IMO.)

I suppose, that with an offer on the table and the right deal, I'd trade him, but in my mind he's untouchable. Probably because nobody else really wants him.

"I'm proud of the year we had, winning 90 games, but we didn't get what we wanted to get done and defend our championship. It's a little more frustrating with the potential we had as a team, and it wears on you a little bit. You want to win and perform."

How couldn't you love this guy? I mean, now that he's on the Sox. I hated him on the Twins... :P

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I'm proud of the year we had, winning 90 games, but we didn't get what we wanted to get done and defend our championship. It's a little more frustrating with the potential we had as a team, and it wears on you a little bit. You want to win and perform."

How couldn't you love this guy? I mean, now that he's on the Sox. I hated him on the Twins... :P

Yea and I hate how everyone hates him( non sox fans) He hasn't done anything wrong lately, and you should at least hate Barret too. He totally took a cheap shot on AJ and they were friends when that happened too.

I certainly buy into the conventional wisdom that AJ will have a good year if he's facing fewer LHP because of Toby Hall's presence on the team. But the real question is: Is Ozzie going to significantly decrease AJ's playing time by platooning him with Hall? Last year, AJ had 509 AB's. 368 vs. RHP and 141 vs. LHP. How many of those LHP at bats is Ozzie willing to take away from AJ?

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)

I HATED his guts with the Twins and for the last two seasons I have worn his jersey proudly (even in the Twinkle dome AFTER they were already out of contention). I love the guy and love what he brings to the table and to this team. He is a team first guy, period.

That being said, with the addition of Hall, I think AJ will have a great year. The tailing off towards the end of the year made it obvious as to the wear and tear. Plus I think it will be a little bit more comforting for him to know that, when he is not playing, there will be a better presence behind the plate than the Widgomar (both of them bad for many reasons, lets just make them one player). That alone should remove some mental wear and tear on a guy that is hyper-competitive.

If I had to bet right now.....

.310/16/75

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
I certainly buy into the conventional wisdom that AJ will have a good year if he's facing fewer LHP because of Toby Hall's presence on the team. But the real question is: Is Ozzie going to significantly decrease AJ's playing time by platooning him with Hall? Last year, AJ had 509 AB's. 368 vs. RHP and 141 vs. LHP. How many of those LHP at bats is Ozzie willing to take away from AJ?

All of them I hope. Hall is a pretty good defensive catcher as well, and throws out runners better than AJ. If a small platoon is built and combined they hit .300+ I would say it was worth it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
All of them I hope. Hall is a pretty good defensive catcher as well, and throws out runners better than AJ. If a small platoon is built and combined they hit .300+ I would say it was worth it.

Well, some of them are certainly against bullpen pitchers...and it's hard to sub a catcher in a close game if you only have 1 on the bench. But otherwise, yeah, there's very little reason not to just treat it as a platoon, unless one catcher simply can't work with a pitcher.

Edited by Balta1701