2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but I totally disagree, Erstad has actually looked pretty bad at the plate hence his 13 Ks and only 4 BB, the guy has been flailing like crazy on anything with movement and is having trouble with strike zone judgment. Anderson has had some hot streaks, it's true but it's not like Erstad hasn't been doing the exact same. As of last week his OBP was below .300, he's picked up some singles along with a home run over the past few games and upped his spring numbers. Atleast Brian has stayed consistent with his approach at the plate, the guy is taking pitches nicely and getting deep into counts, he's gone 3-1 more times than I can count this spring. His swings are still choppy as hell though, he's really got to work on cutting them down. Hence his 7 BB and 7 SO.

I've seen every AB the each of them have had this spring most of them a second time and Brian has earned a starting spot on this club, he's done exactly what was asked of him. If Erstad had outplayed Brian in the 24 more ABs he's had I'd be more than happy to endorse him as the starting CF because of his baseball savvy, quality fundamentals and team leadership skills and frankly I'm not a big fan of Anderson as a hitter. I'm just waiting for Erstad to show some sort of batter's eye.

As Ozzie said, the guy who produces during spring is going to win the job and it's tough to argue that Erstad's spring production has been greater than Anderson's.

If Anderson was an Angels' prospect, chisoxfn would be all over him.

This spring, Anderson >>> Erstad

Edited by santo=dorf

"Whoever criticizes us about that trade, I couldn't care less," Guillen said. "I wish I could say what I have to say. … Floyd is going to be a [fine] pitcher, and so will Gio Gonzalez. Those guys will be with us for good, and they're going to be here for a long time."

any guesses about what that is....my guess is somethign along the lines of...."i love freddy, but he was lazy and liked to party and wasnt comitted to gettting better".....which quite frankly as much as some of us like to harp on ozzie prolly is the truth

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
The #1 sportsblog on the internet presented their AL Central Predictions today. Deadspin picks the Sox to win the Central, so quit your b****ing, the Sox actually got some love from a media source.

Great, now they're even taking away the "We're underdogs" bit from this team. Now what's going to movitvate them?

Still fired up about Floyd

GM still in pitcher's corner even though he didn't make club

BY Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

March 29, 2007, 10:46 PM CDT

HOOVER, Ala. -- It's hardly a secret that general manager Ken Williams fully expected Gavin Floyd to break camp as the White Sox's fifth starter.

After all, Floyd was the centerpiece of the trade that sent Freddy Garcia to Philadelphia.

But John Danks outpitched Floyd.

"Gavin pitched better than his numbers indicated," Williams said. "Obviously the stuff is there, and you could see a little bit more confidence as the spring wore on and a little bit more comfort with his surroundings.

"I anticipated him winning the fifth spot, but I also remembered what I told John Danks the day I traded for him. I said nobody has been promised anything; it's best man wins."

Was Floyd perhaps not as good as Williams had thought after watching him extensively in the Arizona Fall League?

"Actually, he is as good as we thought he would be," Williams said. "Remember, [the stats were] in Tucson. He'll be fine. He'll be part of where we're headed. But where we are right now is in winning mode and taking players most ready to help."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I'll keep these quotes handy in the future when people try to distance Williams from Floyd's failures.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I'll keep these quotes handy in the future when people try to distance Williams from Floyd's failures.

I believe it was Joe Cowley on the Score yesterday saying that Floyd believes that Coop has already turned him into a completely different pitcher. He didn't look any different.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 04:45 AM)

For all the criticism about what the sox got for Freddy, esp in Floyd, I still like KW's ways about trying to improve the club. I'd much rather Williams take a few gambles on pitchers who have a big upside once in a while, than to go for the "safe" picks. Guys like McCulloch and Broadway are safe picks. Yet their upsides are not that high. It's easy to see Floyd's failures and say, "See he still sucks". Its' harder to wait a bit and see if there's any talent that can help the sox. Whether Floyd and the sox can harness his talent, who knows. But IMO it's still too early to throw him away.

Trading for 'young, unproven in the bigs' type pitchers like Floyd goes along with a decent draft strategy--which IMO isn't that great. I'd like to see the sox go for some HS arms with great stuff rather than just college arms who are "productive".

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 07:02 AM)
For all the criticism about what the sox got for Freddy, esp in Floyd, I still like KW's ways about trying to improve the club. I'd much rather Williams take a few gambles on pitchers who have a big upside once in a while, than to go for the "safe" picks. Guys like McCulloch and Broadway are safe picks. Yet their upsides are not that high. It's easy to see Floyd's failures and say, "See he still sucks". Its' harder to wait a bit and see if there's any talent that can help the sox. Whether Floyd and the sox can harness his talent, who knows. But IMO it's still too early to throw him away.

I like the idea; I dislike the execution.

As if I'm unaware of the "safe" pick philosophy or the supposed ceilings of McCulloch and Broadway. I've criticized both selections continually. If it were my decision, Cesar Carrillo and Pedro Beato would have been our respective draft selections for 2005 and 2006.

Floyd might have been an ideal acquisition under different pretenses. But as it were, the goal in dealing Garcia should have been receiving the best possible package. I just don't believe including Floyd (especially) and Gonzalez alone accomplishes this without an additional prospect added in.

Trading for 'young, unproven in the bigs' type pitchers like Floyd goes along with a decent draft strategy--which IMO isn't that great. I'd like to see the sox go for some HS arms with great stuff rather than just college arms who are "productive".
I'll be the first to recognize the risks of drafting high school arms. Kris Honel sticks out immediately as the downfalls of such a selection. If the choice is between a high ceiling, high school arm and a Broadway clone -- the former should be considered. We have enough 4th/5th starters within the system to supply half the American League.

First goal should be selecting a collegiate starting pitcher who was plus stuff and falls due to signability concerns. Teams such as Anaheim, Boston, and New York are picking behind us. We should take advantage of this. With a deep draft in the pitching department, there should be a solid pitcher available at our slot of #25.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 06:05 AM)
I believe it was Joe Cowley on the Score yesterday saying that Floyd believes that Coop has already turned him into a completely different pitcher. He didn't look any different.

So did you see him pitch in Philadelphia, Scanton-Wilkes, and in the AFL last year?

just curious of course, because I'd assume if you're making such statements, you'd say so.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Floyd might have been an ideal acquisition under different pretenses. But as it were, the goal in dealing Garcia should have been receiving the best possible package. I just don't believe including Floyd (especially) and Gonzalez alone accomplishes this without an additional prospect added in.

I'm of the mind that we need to wait a bit to find out if the sox did get the best deal possible or not. Once we see how well Floyd and Gio do for the sox, then we'll know. But, IMO all the talk about Floyd being a bust for the sox is premature. Right now it doesn't look good for 2007, which most people thought [myself included] Floyd would be helping the sox from the start of 2007. Yet few people saw both Danks and Masset making the sox this spring in the Bmac trade. And things can change in a hurry. Sometimes things balance out.

And I'm not trying to rehash the Garcia trade all over again. But one big thing not mentioned much is the fact that KW pretty much had to deal Freddy to the NL. [which I remember KW mentioning in the media] If the Sox wanted to win in 2007, why deal Freddy to a contending AL team that the sox might have to face in the playoffs? Could the sox have gotten a better deal from the Yanks or Red Sox? Maybe. But the sox not wanting to improve the competition limited the options available, and the possible packages as well.

Edited by beck72

Manager Ozzie Guillen is expected to decide if Scott Podsednik (groin) will be able to start on Opening Day sometime on Saturday.

"On Opening Day, I like to play the [regular] guys because that's a special day," Guillen said. "It's an important day for everyone, and Pods is our everyday left fielder." Chicago faces C.C. Sabathia in the opener. Last season, Pods hit .216 against left-handers, while Pablo Ozuna batted .322.

In your eye Fathom and others, I knew Ozzie would do something like this. He can't leave his boy out of the Opening Day lineup.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 01:45 AM)
So did you see him pitch in Philadelphia, Scanton-Wilkes, and in the AFL last year?

just curious of course, because I'd assume if you're making such statements, you'd say so.

Actually I was basing it on what Cowley said so I guess you have to ask him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
In your eye Fathom and others, I knew Ozzie would do something like this. He can't leave his boy out of the Opening Day lineup.

All I can do is laugh at this. You forgot to include the part about how he's want to have it be Pods/Erstad/Thome, even against the LHP.

Edited by fathom

Fathom, he's talking about Opening Day, not all season against lefties.

Thome will hit lefties all year, but no way will he play Erstad all the time vs. lefties.

Ozuna will get tons of at bats, maybe even on Opening Day.

Why can't our professional lefthanded hitters shorter their swings and hit lefties better

this season anyway??

We're only gonna face two lefties in the Cleveland series alone.

It's KW's fault ultimately if he thinks our lefties are a problem against lefties.

If the division is lefty dominated, then he should have got us an option besides

Erstad and Pods.

Though I bet you Ozuna and Anderson are going to play ALOT vs. lefties.

Edited by greg775

So WhiteSox.com has an article up about Contreras feeling no pressure for the opener.

THen it details him and Sabathia. For Contreras, though, it says this:

CWS: RHP Jose Contreras (13-9, 4.27 ERA in 2006)

It was a typical August performance by Santana during the southpaw's last start against the Indians. Santana delivered eight shutout innings against Cleveland while allowing just three hits and striking out nine. It has been the trend over his career that he doesn't truly reach his best form until the late months of the season. Santana is certainly displaying that now, and another critical victory against the White Sox could put him right near the top of Cy Young candidates once again.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Manager Ozzie Guillen will decide on Sunday if Scott Podsednik (groin) is healthy enough to start at leadoff against C.C. Sabathia in the opener.

"We're trying to go with the best lineup we can," Guillen said. "We'll decide [today] after practice. As the manager, I have to put the best lineup over there." Podsednik is 0-for-2 in his career against Sabathia, while Pablo Ozuna is hitting .391 (9-for-23) against Sabathia with three doubles.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm sorry but I totally disagree, Erstad has actually looked pretty bad at the plate hence his 13 Ks and only 4 BB, the guy has been flailing like crazy on anything with movement and is having trouble with strike zone judgment. Anderson has had some hot streaks, it's true but it's not like Erstad hasn't been doing the exact same. As of last week his OBP was below .300, he's picked up some singles along with a home run over the past few games and upped his spring numbers. Atleast Brian has stayed consistent with his approach at the plate, the guy is taking pitches nicely and getting deep into counts, he's gone 3-1 more times than I can count this spring. His swings are still choppy as hell though, he's really got to work on cutting them down. Hence his 7 BB and 7 SO.

I've seen every AB the each of them have had this spring most of them a second time and Brian has earned a starting spot on this club, he's done exactly what was asked of him. If Erstad had outplayed Brian in the 24 more ABs he's had I'd be more than happy to endorse him as the starting CF because of his baseball savvy, quality fundamentals and team leadership skills and frankly I'm not a big fan of Anderson as a hitter. I'm just waiting for Erstad to show some sort of batter's eye.

As Ozzie said, the guy who produces during spring is going to win the job and it's tough to argue that Erstad's spring production has been greater than Anderson's.

I won't argue over who's spring production has been better. Frankly its pretty much of a tossup. I think Erstad and BA have both shown enough to be in a platoon with Pods. Erstad can play left and center .Pods only left and BA only center.

I'm surprised its never mentioned especially by as knowledgable of a guy as yourself but Erstad is coming off a year where he hardly had any AB's. Since you mention his strikeout totals , I think its only fair to say he's rusty. I'm sure its the reason why he led the team in AB's and his K totals are up there. Once he gets his batting eye back a little more we might be looking at close to a .300 hitter if he's injury free and not overused.

As an addendum I would also like to say that maybe you should check how Erstad has progressed this spring. Did the majority of his K's come early in the spring ? Has he cut down on the K's say like from week to week ? You said you're waiting for him to show a batting eye, so if you find evidence of his K totals diminishing exponentially you have your evidence.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Manager Ozzie Guillen hinted he might elect to use Matt Thornton as the White Sox closer initally until Bobby Jenks reaches his full velocity.

This could be another in the long line of things Guillen has talked about despite little intention of following through on. "Don't be surprised if I start the ninth with Thornton," Guillen said. "Bobby's still my closer, but I feel comfortable and have enough confidence in Thornton to start that inning." Jenks was clocked at 94 mph on Friday, but Guillen wants him to be closer to 100 mph

Who uses their best lefty reliever as their closer, especially when they have another guy at the backend of the pen who is right handed, was your best/most reliable reliever last season and has closer experience? How many left handed closers are there in baseball? Billy Wagner? Anyone else? When you find yourself a reliable lefty reliever you don't thrust him into the closers role, especially when he's your ONLY lefty in the pen. I hate it that I so often have trouble understanding what the hell Guillen is trying to do with this team.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
I won't argue over who's spring production has been better. Frankly its pretty much of a tossup. I think Erstad and BA have both shown enough to be in a platoon with Pods. Erstad can play left and center .Pods only left and BA only center.

I'm surprised its never mentioned especially by as knowledgable of a guy as yourself but Erstad is coming off a year where he hardly had any AB's. Since you mention his strikeout totals , I think its only fair to say he's rusty. I'm sure its the reason why he led the team in AB's and his K totals are up there. Once he gets his batting eye back a little more we might be looking at close to a .300 hitter if he's injury free and not overused.

I understand that he may be rusty, then wouldn't a spot on the bench, a hole lot of BP and the occasional start in LF or CF be the best situation for him and the team? Why is a rusty 32 year old who's coming off major surgery and a season in which he only had 95 ABs trying to find his batting eye as the starting centerfielder and 2 hole hitter? Why have such an unreliable hitter batting in such an important spot in the lineup? Seems pretty silly to me.

Gregory Pratt, I clicked on the link you posted a few posts up and it is now changed to say this:

CWS: RHP Jose Contreras (13-9, 4.27 ERA in 2006)

The right-hander makes his first Opening Day start and seems fit and ready to perform after struggling with back and hamstring issues at the end of 2006. Contreras holds the franchise record for consecutive winning decisions at 17, ranging from Aug. 21, 2005 to July 4, 2006, and possesses one of the best split-fingers in the game. The 35-year-old struck out 134 batters last year and has the ability to run his fastball in the mid-90s. Contreras holds a 2-0 record with a 2.98 ERA lifetime against the Indians and has a 16-9 career mark at U.S. Cellular Field.

and, it also says this, which is of interest:

Player to watch

Pablo Ozuna gets the Opening Day start in left field and in the leadoff spot primarily because of his past success against Sabathia. The right-handed hitting Ozuna has nine hits in 23 career at-bats against the massive left-hander, with three doubles and two RBIs.