2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
I meant, on TV, who's calling it, and I was asking The Board, not just you.

I don't expect the Rockies to be blown out or anything. In fact, I believe they'll stun Peavy and the Padres. But he is one hell of a card to draw.

It's on TBS...not sure on anything more than that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)

How you feelin' about the D-Backs/Cubs series? You gotta be reasonably happy that Webb will be able to pitch twice, although talking bigger picture, it sucks that there's no powerhouse in the NL. If you put any of the four AL teams in the NL, they'd pretty much be WS locks, too.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:37 AM)
How you feelin' about the D-Backs/Cubs series? You gotta be reasonably happy that Webb will be able to pitch twice, although talking bigger picture, it sucks that there's no powerhouse in the NL. If you put any of the four AL teams in the NL, they'd pretty much be WS locks, too.

Basically, we need Webb to pitch his ass off. If the Cubs win the first game, I don't see much of a chance for the DBacks to win the series. I honestly don't know what to expect with the Cubs. I think they're far and away the best team in the NL, but their record doesn't indicate that. I'm going to enjoy the next two days though, and hopefully not punch any Cubs fans in the mouth. We better hope the wind is blowing in for game 3, as Livan might give up 10 homers if the wind is blowing out at Wrigley. I would love to see the Phillies make the WS....but as I told my dad tonight, I'd root for my mother-in-law to beat the Cubs right now.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
We better hope the wind is blowing in for game 3, as Livan might give up 10 homers if the wind is blowing out at Wrigley. I would love to see the Phillies make the WS....but as I told my dad tonight, I'd root for my mother-in-law to beat the Cubs right now.

You'd almost hope that the D'Backs would go with Owings in game three, if only to get his bat in the lineup. Either way, game three should be high scoring on both sides -- Hill had an ERA over 5.00 in September. It's also good news that Pinella has committed to Kendall has his playoff catcher -- would much rather see him behind homeplate than Soto. Having Kendall behind homeplate means Chris Young needs to have a big series (OBP-wise).

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
hasn't Jake Peavy pitched awful in almost all of his postseason outings?

He has only started two games in the postseason. Samples don't get much more definitive than that, yeah?

And besides, tomorrow's game is a regular season contest.

That's two. Go for the hat trick.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:26 PM)

My favorite response the past couple of days, when someone is excited about the Cubs 85-win season.

"The last time the White Sox had an 86 win season, they fired their manager. The Cubs have an 85-win season, let's throw a farkin parade!!!"

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
He has only started two games in the postseason. Samples don't get much more definitive than that, yeah?

And besides, tomorrow's game is a regular season contest.

That's two. Go for the hat trick.

You are right Sparky... sorry if his 8 Earned Runs in his 2005 Start, or his bad outing last year led me astray.

And in getting caught up in the wording... maybe we can agree whether you want to call it postseason, playoffs, or regular season one game playoff... Peavy hasn't exactly pitched lights out.

Edited by JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
We better hope the wind is blowing in for game 3, as Livan might give up 10 homers if the wind is blowing out at Wrigley.

Livan might give up 10 with the wind blowing in. He is nothing but a fat slob and did as little as possible for the Dbacks in our run to clinch. His last outing was by far the most disgusting giving up 5 runs in 3 innings @ Pit. He complains when he isn't given 6 inches on the corners and if he doesn't get those calls he will give up at least 5 or however Melvin lets him stay in to surrender.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
You'd almost hope that the D'Backs would go with Owings in game three, if only to get his bat in the lineup. Either way, game three should be high scoring on both sides -- Hill had an ERA over 5.00 in September. It's also good news that Pinella has committed to Kendall has his playoff catcher -- would much rather see him behind homeplate than Soto. Having Kendall behind homeplate means Chris Young needs to have a big series (OBP-wise).

Brynes and Drew also need to get on base. Both guys are good base stealer's (Brynes had 50 and Drew was 12/12). There will be a big push for Owings in game 3 because of his last 2 outings where he has only surrendered 6 hits combined (Owings had 5 hits himself during the strech).

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:25 AM)
Brynes and Drew also need to get on base. Both guys are good base stealer's (Brynes had 50 and Drew was 12/12). There will be a big push for Owings in game 3 because of his last 2 outings where he has only surrendered 6 hits combined (Owings had 5 hits himself during the strech).

He did that quietly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:26 PM)

Every team has a rally, its something MLB started a few years ago.

I have to say Philly is my pick to win it all. Hopefully Webb pitches well for AZ, because if he doesn't AZ doesn't have a chance.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:51 AM)
For now, I'll stick with go Rockies tomorrow and there is a reason the Cubs have the worst record of all the playoff teams, and we will see it soon.

You could have said the same thing about the Cardinals last year. Although that is more the exception to the rule.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 04:03 AM)
You are right Sparky... sorry if his 8 Earned Runs in his 2005 Start, or his bad outing last year led me astray.

And in getting caught up in the wording... maybe we can agree whether you want to call it postseason, playoffs, or regular season one game playoff... Peavy hasn't exactly pitched lights out.

I'll give you the hat trick for not realizing that a 26 year old Peavy is better than the 25 or 24 year old version.

And again, two games don't mean jack squat.

The sparky thing was supposed to hurt my feelings, yeah?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
I'll give you the hat trick for not realizing that a 26 year old Peavy is better than the 25 or 24 year old version.

And again, two games don't mean jack squat.

The sparky thing was supposed to hurt my feelings, yeah?

We can agree to disagree.

And no I wasn't trying to offend you with the Sparky comment... not at all, if I did, I apologize.

But don't come firing at me with shots when it is not necessary.

It is widely known among Baseball Scouts that Peavy sometimes has trouble controlling/harnessing his emotions.

I would say history (only 2 game albeit) shows signs of that.

Not saying Peavy will collapse tonight... but I don't feel the Doom and Gloom of facing him is really that bad.

So what did I say wrong this time?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
So what did I say wrong this time?

It is widely known among Baseball Scouts that Peavy sometimes has trouble controlling/harnessing his emotions.

I would say history (only 2 game albeit) shows signs of that.

People presume that he can't control his emotions in big games because of those two playoff performances. It's not the other way around. Show me a scouting report that had him pegged as mentally fragile before he ever made a playoff appearance.

My problem is with the sample, and anyone who makes definitive assessments on the strength of such a small body of work. It's the Frank Thomas effect.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
People presume that he can't control his emotions in big games because of those two playoff performances. It's not the other way around. Show me a scouting report that had him pegged as mentally fragile before he ever made a playoff appearance.

My problem is with the sample, and anyone who makes definitive assessments on the strength of such a small body of work. It's the Frank Thomas effect.

Or the Barry Bonds effect.