Sox vs. Tigers

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings from Detroit, where I now am in my hotel room after returning from Comerica Park, sitting 14 rows behind the Sox dugout.

Honestly, it's a miracle we didn't get blown out in this game because we used so many bullpen pitchers. The moment they started showing up, I started the congratulating Tiger fans with whom I was speaking. I can't believe it went extra innings; I can't believe MacDougal got an out. Hell I can't believe he threw a strike.

The good news is that Floyd held the Tigers to one run and didn't get too rattled in a couple of ducks-on-the-pond situations. The bad news of course was our embarassing offense. Rogers had a one-hitter until he gave up one more before the pen came in. And people like Uribe just swing at CRAP... it's not like Rogers was overpowering them--I was sitting right there.

Also, they pulled not ONE but TWO double steals. The only reason they didn't get a third was that the batter walked, loading the bases. Sure, Thome got robbed on that would-be double/homer (nice play we thought it was out) but really: our lineup just blows at hitting.

Floyd did his job though; I CANNOT fault him at all.

BTW beers at Comerica are up to $8.50!!! Although they are 24 oz. and not 16 but still! Great park on a summer night like tonight.

Also: I've never seen a balk get REVERSED before.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
I really think it's going to come down to the Sox and O's....

I would add Florida in that list. They are beyond horrible.

Unless your only counting AL worst.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
...which is hilarious considering they have two of the three best offensive players in the NL this year.

It's mind boggling how much they have underacheived even though those 3 are the only 3 who can hit in their lineup (excluding Hermida here even though Uggla has powerful muscles but is a bit overrated IMO.) Just look at their pitching roster. Makes you want to throw-up. They are very young, but terribly bad. Not to mention guys like Willis, Olsen, etc.. have pitched horrid. They are clearly 3+ years away.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
Ya, they can be 3+ years away, but I really don't see Florida making any big time FA splashes, and by 2010, Miggy and Hanley will start getting really, really expensive(moreso in Caberra's case)

They won't need too IMO. They will be getting good looking players in the first rounds (1-10 range) of the draft for a good while and maybe the later rounds (Even though their drafting hasn't always gone their way esp. 1st round picks). This is not even counting their picks who are still in the minors developing. They'll be okay, but it will take some time and maybe more considering in 2010+ they could be losing Miguel and/or Hanley.

BTW beers at Comerica are up to $8.50!!! Although they are 24 oz. and not 16 but still! Great park on a summer night like tonight.

And tickets one generation ago according to that video on old Comiskey cost about 8.50.

8.50 for a beer is beyond belief except in a strip bar in Vegas.

Insane. Insane.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
It's mind boggling how much they have underacheived even though those 3 are the only 3 who can hit in their lineup (excluding Hermida here even though Uggla has powerful muscles but is a bit overrated IMO.) Just look at their pitching roster. Makes you want to throw-up. They are very young, but terribly bad. Not to mention guys like Willis, Olsen, etc.. have pitched horrid. They are clearly 3+ years away.

Not sure how Dan Uggla could be underrated when he's been just as productive this year as he was last year; just doing it in a different way.

Also goes to show that even though Girardi was a totalitarian drill sergeant dick of a manager who hurt some young pitchers careers by overworking them, that he knew how to manage a team.

Since there is no Sox Loser thread, I'll put this here...

In Gavin's Floyd's starts in August/September, take a look at his numbers:

8/05: 6 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6K

8/11: 4 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

8/28: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

9/05: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

That's 3 good starts in 4. And even with the lousy one, that is a 4.50 ERA. Now, before people go off onto one ledge or the other, I am not saying he looks great. He doesn't. He still loses velocity and control in the stretch, still can't hold runners on, and still sails pitches on occasion. But... considering what we saw in ST, and then in his brief 2-start stint in July... there is simply no denying that he is improving.

I hope we see Gavin every 5th or 6th game to the end of the season, to see if this is a fluke, or if he really is progressing. He may still turn out to be a serviceable 5th starter.