D-Backs Cubs Series thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
Our pitching was so much better than their's. We rocked.

All they need is for 1 other starting pitcher besides Webb to get on a run though, and they can win the whole thing IMHO.

And I'm rooting for them in the playoffs, partly because they've got so many great young players and are fun to watch, they're playing the Cubs 1st up, and I saw them a couple of years back.

Josh Byrnes has done a FANTASTIC job as GM since he took over as well. Has there been a move that he's made that hasn't paid off over the past couple of years? He's rebuilt that pen, solidfied the rotation, and gotten that young core into the lineup.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
I'm a bit upset that Owings isn't throwing tomorrow. he's not a great pitcher or anything, but he was better than any of the Cubs pitchers in the second half, and he could bat 4th.

Is he gonna go in game 4, or are the D'back gonna counter with a 3-man?

Melvin said that he is going with a 4 man

Davis

Hernandez

Owings

Webb

Cubs lose, Cubs lose game 1!!!

Let's see.. in the 1945 World Series Cub fans blamed the loss on the Curse of the billy goat, in 1969 when they lost the division title to the Mets, I believe a black cat ran on the field if I'm not mistaken. In the 2003 NLDS loss to Florida they blamed Bartman. Who will get the blame this year if they lose it, Bartman's brother.

I hope the D-Back sweep the Flubs

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
Wait is that the same old man with that has the Sox and Bears lights?

It's the same guy. I first saw him at the 2003 NLCS, and he was at the world series two years ago and I think I saw him at one of the Bears playoff games last year. Watch the world series DVD, I think it shows him.

And Piniella was absolutely awful tonight. And as people have said, the Chicago media won't rip him at all. Granted we don't know if he was cramping up but if he was fine taking him out in a tie game with only 85 pitches is dumb.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
It's the same guy. I first saw him at the 2003 NLCS, and he was at the world series two years ago and I think I saw him at one of the Bears playoff games last year. Watch the world series DVD, I think it shows him.

Different guy. The guy you are thinking off wears sunglasses and has an entire neon getup. This was a younger guy, with spikey hair with a neon cubs clock. A moron none the less.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
He wasn't even close to being on tonight either.

Nope he wasn't he was on the radio post game saying his adrenaline was pumping causing some of his sinkers to be left up a little too much. Too bad nobody got to see him on his 42 inning streak he was dominating nobody stood a chance against him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
Different guy. The guy you are thinking off wears sunglasses and has an entire neon getup. This was a younger guy, with spikey hair with a neon cubs clock. A moron none the less.

I don't know it looked like the same guy. I'm trying to find pictures but I can't.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)

yea, i think the cubs neon sign guy is different.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 05:32 AM)

That guy made me laugh tonight. It makes me laugh when people where tight under-armer looking stuff like that to non-physical-activity events.

And Piniella was absolutely awful tonight. And as people have said, the Chicago media won't rip him at all. Granted we don't know if he was cramping up but if he was fine taking him out in a tie game with only 85 pitches is dumb.

I don't think anything was wrong with Zambrano.

Piniella said in the postgame media session that he pulled Zambrano with the thought of starting him in Game 4.

If he keeps overthinking and out-managing himself like that, there will be no Game 4.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 05:34 AM)
Nope he wasn't he was on the radio post game saying his adrenaline was pumping causing some of his sinkers to be left up a little too much. Too bad nobody got to see him on his 42 inning streak he was dominating nobody stood a chance against him.

I saw a shutout he pitched in Atlanta, and it was the best pitched game I had seen all year until Beckett's game yesterday. His sinker against lefty hitters that night was amazing. It reminded me of the legendary game D. Lowe pitched against the Sox about 6 years ago.

I listened to the 9th and post game as I drifted off to sleep last night. Santo in the 9th was blasting Valverde because he was acting like a hot dog. Really Ronnie? What do you call your starter last night?

Some of the post game calls were funny. One guy just kept saying he has been a fan for 30 years and his dad is 80 and hasn't seen a World Series. Kaplan kept asking what that had to do with the game and nobody was questioning his allegiance. He just kept saying he has been a fan forever and things never change.

All the callers acted like the series was over.

Cubs will actually have t o win games to advance in the post season and not depend on a team they aren't facing to lose.

Hangar, is that you? Just kidding.

Actually, look at the Trib website. The top headline is "Did move cost Cubs game?", and look at the columnists (Downey, Morrisey) - they are definitely not happy about it.

sort of a trivia question, i dont know if any of you would know the answer:

Is this the first time that 4 teams have made the playoffs that were not in the playoffs the previous year(since the wildcard expansion)?

I cant remember if this is unique or not, the braves were in the playoffs for something like 15 straight years, so it would have been relatively recent if it ever happened

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
sort of a trivia question, i dont know if any of you would know the answer:

Is this the first time that 4 teams have made the playoffs that were not in the playoffs the previous year(since the wildcard expansion)?

I cant remember if this is unique or not, the braves were in the playoffs for something like 15 straight years, so it would have been relatively recent if it ever happened

I'm pretty sure it has to be. The Braves won the division through realignment and up until 2005, and then last year the Cards made it after making it in 2005. So yeah, it definitely is.

I thought it was kind of funny last night during pre-game, they pointed out that the last time the Cubs won a world series, Arizona was not yet a state.

Along those lines, here are a few other somewhat obscure but very telling things that have happened since the last time the Cubs were World Champions...

--4 states have been added to the union - New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii

--The United States has been invaded (Aluetian Islands by Japan, 1944)

--The contiguous United States were invaded (Mexican General Pancho Villa and a renegade band of the Mexican Army sacked Columbus, New Mexico in 1916)

--There were still Indian wars going on in the U.S. (last significant battle - 1917, 10th Cav against Yaqui near Nogales, AZ)