Sox's hunt for OF is on

spiderman

Sox's hunt for OF is on

Chicago Tribune Link

Williams also targets bullpen, leadoff man in off-season dealing

A White Sox fan smirked last week that he will save about $2,000 by electing not to renew his 2008 partial-season-ticket package after the team chose to re-sign shortstop Juan Uribe.

The Sox, however, are expected to pour their financial resources into signing All-Star center fielder Torii Hunter. The effort begins Tuesday when teams are allowed to make financial offers to free agents other than their own.

The latest recruiting tactic occurred Sunday night when general manager Ken Williams explained his plan for reviving the Sox to Hunter at an undisclosed location.

But now the Sox and other teams interested in Hunter must back up their pursuit with an offer that should reach at least five years and perhaps more than $15 million annually. Such a contract would be the largest in Sox history. Hunter, 32, is a seven-time Gold Glove Award winner who drove in 107 runs for Minnesota last season.

In addition to landing a center fielder of Hunter's caliber, Williams must retool a horrendous bullpen and possibly acquire an accomplished leadoff hitter.

Williams has repeatedly said he has the financial resources to sign a top-notch player. But he may need to trade dependable starter Jon Garland and third baseman Joe Crede, who is coming off back surgery and eligible for free agency after 2008, to complete his off-season mission.

One team source believed the Sox would be better off settling for free-agent fan favorite Aaron Rowand as their center fielder so they'd have more money to address other areas.

This much is certain: Hunter has turned down a three-year, $45 million offer from the Twins and has expressed a belief that the next contract he signs will probably be his last.

He's also aware that Williams can expand a payroll that already includes seven players earning $9.5 million or more.

At last season's All-Star Game, Hunter said he had wondered what it would be like to play in a large market such as Chicago instead of Minnesota, which has won consistently without a large media or marketing spotlight. But it could be a mixed blessing: Two of Hunter's friends and former Twins teammates, Jacque Jones and LaTroy Hawkins, hardly flourished playing in Chicago with the Cubs.

Getting away from the Metrodome's artificial turf will help Hunter's longevity. He has hit at least 26 home runs and driven in at least 92 runs in five of the last seven seasons.

Hunter is a year older than Rowand, who is coming off a career-best year but knows the demands of playing under the microscope in Chicago and Philadelphia.

Rowand's value has been enhanced greatly by his 2007 season: .307, 27 homers, 89 RBIs. Those numbers could guarantee him at least four years and $11 million annually, exceeding previous deals signed by outfielders Gary Matthews Jr., Juan Pierre and Eric Byrnes.

Signing Hunter or Rowand, however, would still leave the Sox without a leadoff hitter unless they stick with Jerry Owens, who batted .340 in the final month of the season and .284 with 29 stolen bases after his second call-up from Triple-A Charlotte on July 3.

Williams plans to explore the free-agent market for relievers to strengthen a bullpen that ranked 12th in the American League with a 5.47 ERA.

The Sox tried to acquire Scott Linebrink and Octavio Dotel, both free agents, during different junctures in 2006. Both are free agents, as is Hawkins, who has the same agent as Hunter.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt realize we were in on either Linebrink or Dotel during the season...Guess I am somewhat glad too.

Idk why this just popped into my head, but it did...Anyone know the status of Duaner Sanchez of the Mets?

I always liked that guy while he was with the Dodgers and even two years ago w/ the Mets. I know he was hurt all season so I am curious as to if they would possibly sell low on him.

I want Fukudome damn it.

Yes, me too.

Fukudome is supposedly evaluating whether to stay in Japan or come over. If he's as advertised he'd be a great fit for the White Sox.

I have long sensed, and stated, that I believe the Sox will be active in Japan this winter. As another poster mentioned he would be a fit in LF but no one knows if he wants to play LF. His experience is in RF and somewhat in CF so there is a question of whether he would want to not only change cultures but positions too.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
Add me to the Fukudome list. I would rather see someone who is patient, and has a high OBP hitting in front of our thumpers, over some random speed guy.

Me too, but he is a huge question mark as well, not always a sure thing.

So if we signed Fukedome, would that mean Owens would have to play CF? Or could Fukedome handle CF (FWIW I think I've heard he's more suited to a corner OF spot).

Don't get me wrong, the guy should have great OBP skills that translate well to the majors, but it should be easier to find a LF than it is for a CF, if they decide Fukedome can't handle CF.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 01:15 AM)
Its not like he's a pitcher, but he did have surgery in August, on his elbow.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sb20070814h1.html

Jose Guillen had similar surgery last year, which held his cost down (though it still exceeded what I would have paid). It didn't slow him down this year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
Me too, but he is a huge question mark as well, not always a sure thing.

Aside from Hunter, can you name any sure thing on this market as an OF? And hell, even Torii isn't exactly a spring chicken these days.

Cameron? PED's.

Jones? Horribly inconsistent last year.

Rowand? Very up and down historically

Fukudome? Japanese.

Crisp? Down from his time with the Indians, about to lose his job.

Damon? Old, overpaid.

This is the reason I hate building a team from the FA market...there's almost never a sure thing except for maybe ARod. No matter what, you're trying to grab a guy for a lot of money who's guaranteed to be at least somewhat up there in years.

If this Fukudome dude can get on base, has a little bit of speed, and could play a good LF, he'd solve an awful lot of our lineup problems as a 2nd hitter.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Does anyone think there is a chance that the Sox sign Hunter and Shannon Stewart for LF?

Gosh it would be the Chicago version of the Twins with Hunter, AJ and Stewart...

I think it's at least possible that they might want to platoon Owens if they just don't trust him. Personally though I'd still vastly prefer to see them spending that $ to upgrade the SS position somehow, or the bullpen. I can understand bringing in 1 OF if we don't want Fields in LF, but with the way Owens played last year, I have difficulty justifying spending the money on 2 if our budget is limited at all.

Surprised no one picked up on this:

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
The latest recruiting tactic occurred Sunday night when general manager Ken Williams explained his plan for reviving the Sox to Hunter at an undisclosed location.

We all know how much Al Qaeda hates the Sox......

Fresh out of the daily Herald...Idk if I agree with his odds but hey.

Let the bidding begin.

The White Sox are looking for a new center fielder, and free agent Torii Hunter can be signed as early as today.

A source with the White Sox confirmed that Hunter met with general manager Kenny Williams on Sunday night.

Considering Hunter turned down a three-year, $45 millon extension from the Minnesota Twins during the 2007 season -- the 32-year-old Gold Glover reportedly is seeking a five-year, $75 million deal -- let's just call Sunday's meeting "due diligence'' on the Sox' end.

And while we're at it, let's handicap the field of center fielders in the running to be starting for the White Sox next season.

Coco Crisp

Yes, he struggled in the postseason (.182) and lost his starting job to rookie Jacoby Ellsbury, but Covelli "Coco'' Crisp has been on the White Sox' radar since 2005, when he was batting .300 while igniting the Cleveland Indians' offense.

Crisp wound up losing his starting job to Grady Sizemore, and he's facing a similar situation in Boston.

Still, the 28-year-old Crisp would be a perfect fit with the Sox, who thrive on acquiring players with chips on their shoulders.

And, unlike Hunter, Crisp is affordable. He has a $4.75 million salary for 2008 and $5.75 million for '09. In 2010, Crisp has an $8 million club option ($500,000 buyout).

If the Sox really want him, they had better move fast. Assuming Hunter walks, the Twins are going to be looking for a center fielder, as are the Texas Rangers and several other teams.

Gregor's odds: 4-1

Bill Hall

Like Crisp, Hall has had several productive seasons. And, like Crisp, the 27-year-old outfielder has something to prove after batting .254 with the Milwaukee Brewers while missing three weeks with an ankle sprain.

Hall, the Brewers' MVP in 2006 after batting .270 with 35 home runs and 85 RBI, wouldn't come cheap in a trade, but he has a reasonable contract and would be a solid fit with the White Sox.

Gregor's odds: 5-1

Aaron Rowand

Like Hunter, Rowand is a free agent. But while he put up similar numbers (.309, 27 HR, 89 RBI) for the Philadelphia Phillies in 2007, Rowand's price figures to be much more reasonable.

As for fitting in, not a problem.

Rowand was immensely popular during his five-year stay (2001-05) with the Sox, and his competitive fire helped fuel the club's World Series run.

At the end of the 2007 season, Williams said he'd try to be "creative'' when it came to adding more payroll. With Rowand's willingness to return to the South Side, that would be possible.

Gregor's odds: 6-1

Torii Hunter

He is a great player -- both with the bat and the glove -- and he hits very well at U.S. Cellular Field. With Hunter in the lineup, there is little question the White Sox would be a better team.

But with the payroll already well beyond $100 million for 2008, the White Sox cannot afford Hunter unless they trade a starting pitcher such as Jon Garland or Jose Contreras for young players.

Even though the Sox are interested, Hunter is 32 and he likes running into walls. Risking $15 million a year for his services is highly unlikely on the Sox' end.

Gregor's odds: 15-1

Jerry Owens

He impressed the White Sox with his speed (32 bases in 40 attempts) and steady improvement this season.

Was his effort good enough to nail down the starting job in 2008? Not likely. Owens strikes out too much to be an effective leadoff hitter, and the Sox still have to wonder how he would do over a full major-league season.

At this point, Owens should win a reserve spot with the White Sox.

Gregor's odds: 16-1

Rest of the field

Free agent Corey Patterson would be an intriguing candidate, but Scott Boras is his agent. Next.

Mike Cameron would be an intriguing candidate, considering he broke in with the Sox in 1995. But Cameron has to sit out the first 25 games of next season after again testing positive for a "banned stimulant.''

Prospects Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney once were considered can't-miss talents. Now, it looks like they've both missed the boat.

Gregor's odds: 25-1