Telling note about Brian Anderson

scenario

From a Trib story tonight...

"Meanwhile, Sox prospect Brian Anderson appears unlikely to play winter ball in Mexico. Agent Terry Bross, who works with Clifton, said Anderson is close to being in the best shape of his life since recovering from a left wrist injury.

"Mexico isn't really out of the question," Bross said. "But we want to make sure everything is right. He just started facing live pitching. In Mexico you're going to face pitchers with tough breaking balls.

"For the first time, Brian is approaching this like a professional. He works out twice a day and doesn't go out at night. He's working with a top professional trainer and with a nutritionist. He's very focused."

Interesting 'confession' by an agent.

Edited by scenario

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(scenario @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
From a Trib story tonight...

"Meanwhile, Sox prospect Brian Anderson appears unlikely to play winter ball in Mexico. Agent Terry Bross, who works with Clifton, said Anderson is close to being in the best shape of his life since recovering from a left wrist injury.

"Mexico isn't really out of the question," Bross said. "But we want to make sure everything is right. He just started facing live pitching. In Mexico you're going to face pitchers with tough breaking balls.

"For the first time, Brian is approaching this like a professional. He works out twice a day and doesn't go out at night. He's working with a top professional trainer and with a nutritionist. He's very focused."

Interesting 'confession' by an agent.

Hey the Sox picked up $50k in the rule 5. KW has more than $.50 now.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:41 AM)
I love BA, but if Anderson even has a shot at the CF job this year, this team is f***ed.

Best case scenario is Anderson has a great April and May in AAA, brings up that value, and go from there.

If it turns out that the Sox fail to land either Fukodome or Rowand -- and if they choose to ignore Mike Cameron -- I'd just go with an Anderson/Owens platoon in CF next year. That's better than trading Gio for Dejesus or Crisp, so...

Doesn't matter how good of a shape he is in etc.

He's starting the year in AAA, and the best hope that he has is if one of either Owens or Quentin don't hit well (and that's if we don't sign another high priced OF).

His days here really should be numbered and probably are. A team that needs a CF such as Minny, Texas etc. may take a look at him and try to get him on the cheap.

For that reason alone, it's probably worth just hanging onto him and seeing if he can rebuild his value somewhat.

Anyone else remember when everyone was down on Jon Garland when he could never live up to his potential?

Anyone else remember when everyone was down on Crede when he could never live up to his potential?

Well, maybe Anderson might break out too one of these years....it is not like it has never happened before. If he does break out to his potential, it would be huge for the Sox. I know, I am dreaming....but stranger things have happened.

I don't see any reason why he can't have a great spring training and make the team as our starting cf or at least in a platoon situation with owens. He is still young and still has great potential. we'll see what happens but it is great to hear that he's taking his body and his training serious, all the greats in every sport begin with taking their training/practice seriously, titles are won in the offseason imo

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 12:03 AM)
Anyone else remember when everyone was down on Jon Garland when he could never live up to his potential?

Anyone else remember when everyone was down on Crede when he could never live up to his potential?

Well, maybe Anderson might break out too one of these years....it is not like it has never happened before. If he does break out to his potential, it would be huge for the Sox. I know, I am dreaming....but stranger things have happened.

What are you talking about? Aaron Rowand posted a .694 OPS in his first shot in the big leagues. .694

If you wanna make big bucks in free agency down the line you need to put up kick ass numbers like that from the beginning.

But seriously, I love to hear that about Anderson.

Him really going after it and kicking ass can only help us, either on our team or by being traded if there's no room for him here. Go BA.

I must say you are a favorite poster of mine sir.

I hate BA though. I thought the McCarthy thing where he was saying things about the Sox and what Anderson said or did spelled the end for BA here. That and that Ozzie didn';t want him on the team anymore or something.

Idk. I'd wish this story was about Sweeney. Something about that swing just leaves your jaw wide open. Hopefully this rubs off.

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 02:19 AM)
I must say you are a favorite poster of mine sir.

I hate BA though. I thought the McCarthy thing where he was saying things about the Sox and what Anderson said or did spelled the end for BA here. That and that Ozzie didn';t want him on the team anymore or something.

Idk. I'd wish this story was about Sweeney. Something about that swing just leaves your jaw wide open. Hopefully this rubs off.

Well I appreciate that, and thank you.

Like or hate Anderson, but his doing well can only help the Sox.

One thing i don't get is if BA was ,supposedly, good enough to be given the starting CF spot on a WS team, why isn't he ,at least, being considered for the position when the Sox only have Owens out there? The guys has all the tools,minus the brain. Maybe he gets his head on straight and can turn things around. I'd rather see what he and Owens can do than give a bunch of money to Rowand. Some guys take longer to develop. I'm not saying it will be the case, but maybe it is with Anderson. I agree that him producing,at any level, can only help the Sox.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
BTW, in 5 years, there is a good chance only the most hardcore Sox fans will remember Brian Anderson, but it's amazing the domino effect he has had on this franchise.

The Brian Anderson situation has cost, or will cost this franchise 20+ million to correct(FA addition, along with Vazquez)

Don't forget, he also made Chris Young expendable. D'oh!

Edited by JPN366

Big Caveat 1: This is his agent saying this. What else is he going to say? No one from the Sox brass has noted what they have heard or seen so good for Brian that he's eating his veggies and drinking his milk.

Big Caveat 2: No Mexican League because of pitchers throwing tough breaking balls? I don't care how well you take care of your body, if you're not ready to hit breaking balls in December from the Mexican League, you will be useless by the time spring training rolls around. He had gaping holes in his swing before the injury and if they got bigger, well then trade him fast for Jeremy Reed and bring this thing full circle.

Big Caveat 1: This is his agent saying this. What else is he going to say? No one from the Sox brass has noted what they have heard or seen so good for Brian that he's eating his veggies and drinking his milk.

Rick Hahn talked about Brian on the radio last week. Hahn said Anderson was recovering from a sternum injury which he apparantly sustained while rehabbing his wrist. Not sure how that works but whatever.

Hahn further said it would be decided in a week or so whether Anderson would play in Mexico. He said the Sox want him to get some AB's and Anderson wanted some AB's as well.

That he's finally approaching his career in a professional manner is clearly good news. It will raise his value, no matter what the Sox decide to do with him.

With the failure to address the CF issue, Brian Anderson would have come back on the radar whether or not he was improving his 'tude or still partying every night.

So, in the least...this is NOT BAD NEWS. I'm not holding my breath, but this franchise needs every little morsel of good news it can get.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
This is his agent saying this. What else is he going to say?

Well his agent could have left off the very unflattering "For the first time, Brian is approaching this like a professional."

Too little, too late.

And that is Brian Anderson's biggest fan that has to say he is growing up FINALLY... How sad. This guy may have literally pissed away 10's of millions of dollars because he would rather party, than play. A decent CF now commands eight digits a year in salary, maybe that will be enough incentive for Anderson to wake up and see this as a 24/7 thing, versus just a job.