Santana Traded to the Mets

Pants Rowland

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
The Twins

a. would not trade santana to the white sox

b. would laugh in your face if you made that offer

how is that offer comparable to the deal they got from the mets? it's a laughingstock.

Yeah I know the Twins wouldn't trade with us, but I'm just thinking hypothetically here.

As for the offer, ok we'll make it a 4 player deal, and add John Shelby.

DLS + Gio + Sweeney + Shelby

VS

Gomez + Guerra + Humber + Mulvery.

DLS and Gomez is a wash IMHO. Both have high talent, but we don't know if they'll ever reach it. Gomez probably has the edge because he's more advanced.

Gio and Guerra depends on whether you want someone who can help now. Guerra probably has the higher upside, but I think Gio could possibly start in an NL rotation this season.

Sweeney vs. Humber. 2 former highly rated prospects whose stock has fallen quite a bit. Depends on what you would rather I guess.

Shelby + Mulvey. 2 moreso underrated prospects, again depends if you want the pitcher who keeps the ball in the park, or a promising 2B/CF who could start 1 day.

I'm only asking the question, because right now I'm wondering how it would impact our payroll now and in the future by having Santana instead of Swisher. Would Owens be guaranteed a starting spot in CF? Would we have signed Octavio Dotel etc.? Does having Santana in the rotation instead of that package of guys and paying him more money make us a better all around ballclub? Would we score enough runs to win enough games for Johan?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
That all depends on how your scouts rate Phil Hughes.

It is always about the scouts -- and especially so in Minnesota. That said, it might be more to do with how they rate the other guys from the Mets or from the Yankees or from the Red Sox than with Hughes, although it is possible that they weren't and aren't high on him.

The Twins needed a bat in a Santana deal, they just need to hope they picked the right one. I still like their staff a lot this year because Bonser and Baker are both above average to me and I think Liriano, well, who knows? As far as Nathan goes I bet they keep him. They just signed Morneau and Cuddyer and probably don't want to wave any white flags beyond the Johan deal. I think they move Nathan in July when there is more of a market for closers. Decent deal for the Twins, excellent move by Omar Minaya for swinging the balance in the NL. Plus in WS play this is huge. THe Rockies ran out a bunch of 4th starters against the Sawx. The Mets can have big confidence sending a Johan/Pedro punch against the big boys in the AL

Already buzz all-around.

KW-

"I heard he went to the National League, right?" said Williams. "OK, great. That's it.

"Good riddance," added Williams with a laugh.

Dustin Pedroia-

"I was working out, and I said to a bunch of the guys I was working out with, 'I'm glad that guy is out of the American League' and everyone started laughing except for the guys that are in the National League," Pedroia said. "That's definitely my first thought. That's great, get him out of the American League. Obviously he's one of the best in the game."

Doug Melvin-

"It might have been better for him to stay in the American League, but look at how many players have already switched leagues this year," Melvin said. "And it might end up being a good thing because if he had stayed in Minnesota, we would have faced him anyway because Minnesota is our rival in Interleague. Now the Cubs will maybe have to face him once or twice, and the Cardinals and the Astros and the Reds. Maybe it's better for us. We had to face him anyway. Now they have to face him."

Tom Glavine-

"This certainly evens the balance within the division," said former Mets and current Braves left-hander Tom Glavine. "I don't think this makes [the Mets] the class of the division. I think it puts them in a position where their rotation is much better and that was their biggest need.

Shane Victorino-

"Did they become the team to beat because they got one pitcher? No, I'm not going to say that," Victorino said. "It's one significant move, but we made four moves [this offseason] to make our team better. We added in a third baseman, we got a right fielder, moved me to center, got [closer] Brad Lidge. Our moves made our team better. They acquired a great pitcher, but we're a better team, too."

Brian McCann-

"Adding arguably the best pitcher in the game is going to make you better," Braves catcher Brian McCann said. "I think this makes the Mets a lot better."

"It's going to be a dog fight," McCann said. "Obviously our division is up for grabs and I think it's going to stay close until the end. The Phillies upgraded. The Mets upgraded and we believe we've upgraded. Nobody is going to run away with this thing."

Josh Willingham-

"He's just a good pitcher. He's awesome," Willingham said. "He's got good stuff. That's about it."

"But it gives the Mets a front-line starter who is really good," Willingham said. "As far as the division goes, I don't know. But it's going to make their team a lot better."

The idea of the cubs facing either the two headed monster of Haren and Webb or facing Santana twice in a short series is too delicious to think about. Wait till these goofs and their "Its going to happen crap" starts up again when they win a crappy division only to get decked in the first round. Just imagine a nice 8 inning 14K Santana masterpiece at the dump on the North Side.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)
The idea of the cubs facing either the two headed monster of Haren and Webb or facing Santana twice in a short series is too delicious to think about. Wait till these goofs and their "Its going to happen crap" starts up again when they win a crappy division only to get decked in the first round. Just imagine a nice 8 inning 14K Santana masterpiece at the dump on the North Side.

With the hackers they have on the North Side, I think a perfect game is well within the realm of possibility. But in the playoffs, it would be awfully sweet.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
Mike North is on the radio right now telling everyone that he would rather have Bedard over Santana because Santana went 15-13 last year and Bedard went 13-5(on a bad Orioles team).

The guy is completely delusional

hell just getting Santana away from facing the Indians is going to help that out a ton.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Johan Santana will throw a no-hitter this year. I mean, think about it... Johan vs. the Nasty Nats?? The Marlins??

He'll throw at least one no-hitter... write it down fellas.

Mets pitchers don't throw no-hitters.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
Mike North is on the radio right now telling everyone that he would rather have Bedard over Santana because Santana went 15-13 last year and Bedard went 13-5(on a bad Orioles team).

The guy is completely delusional

Well we had a poster on this site say they would rather have Buerhle than Johan.

A Philly fan's perspective from a Philly board.

The sounds of our “small splashes” never sounded so small. This is a tidalwave, causing a flood that will submerge the rest of the National League East for six or seven years. Baseball’s best pitcher belongs to the Mets, set to anchor the rotation for years to come while canceling out our best hitters head-to-head…Introducing the winner, and new champion, of the 2008 off-season, and possibly much, more more: Johan Santana and the New York Mets, who’ve stuck it right up the Phillies’ butts.”

Bad day to be in the NL East.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
Well we had a poster on this site say they would rather have Buerhle than Johan.

If you were constrained by salary, you could certainly make an argument that MB at $13 million a year is more valuable to a team than Johan at $25 million a year. For a team like the Mets clearly they take the better pitcher because they can afford him. The more the salary impinges upon you though, the more you have to worry.

Here's one way to think about that. Who wins you more games, Johan Santana plus a $1 million 1st baseman (Ross Gload, Doug Mientkiewicz or someone of that ilk) or Mark Buehrle + Paul Konerko? If you have the salary available to go for Santana and Delgado fine, but if you don't, then it probably makes more sense to spread it around. Unless you have a sh*tload of young guys.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
If you were constrained by salary, you could certainly make an argument that MB at $13 million a year is more valuable to a team than Johan at $25 million a year. For a team like the Mets clearly they take the better pitcher because they can afford him. The more the salary impinges upon you though, the more you have to worry.

Here's one way to think about that. Who wins you more games, Johan Santana plus a $1 million 1st baseman (Ross Gload, Doug Mientkiewicz or someone of that ilk) or Mark Buehrle + Paul Konerko? If you have the salary available to go for Santana and Delgado fine, but if you don't, then it probably makes more sense to spread it around. Unless you have a sh*tload of young guys.

Damn good post.

This is especially true when you look at the length of the deal. He will not be healthy for the 5-6 years. He had to alter his game last year due to elbow problems. If you figure he's healthy for only 75% of that contract, it really puts a strain on the budget and who will need to take his place.

Just a point of reference: Buehrle makes $14M a year, $15M if said team trades for him.