The OFFICIAL "I was wrong about Joe Crede" thread

shawnhillegas

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
This thread shouldnt have even been started. What Crede did today is why he is up here is it not?

Just dont get your panties in a bunch when Crede leaves this season because his agent thinks he can get more then 15 mil a year

and thats all i'll say, and its all that is needed to say. Its 7 games. And why was I wrong about Joe Crede? Pretty sure we know what he did in 06 we should just be glad he is not one of the players that careers fizzle with a bad back injury.

Looks like someone is bitter :rolleyes:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
I think these threads are meant to start fights. Enjoy the success, why throw it in someones face?

Lets have this discussion after the World Series

Maybe some people here need to learn to not over-react in off seasons and stop throwing things at other people's faces then? Just a thought that makes sense. It would be nice if fans treated all players with respect, and that includes someone like Crede who was injured last year.

I'm glad Crede has started the season well, I didn't comment too much on the Fields/Crede situation, but I was disappointed initially when Fields was sent to the minors. I know Crede isn't going to hit like this all season, but if he can just give us the type of production he had in 06 I'll be ecstatic over his performance. Also, assuming we are in contention and Crede is producing I really would not want to trade him.... Fields would have to be really tearing up AAA to justify it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
Hopefully he can keep proving alot of people wrong, because of course in the end, we all are Sox fans and want the team to win.

^^^^^^^^^

What Rock said....

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
Serious question - I have always been a Crede fan and fully expected him to revert to being a solid contributor this year. He is not going to be a 0.350 hitter of course over the course of the season; but what if he continues to be a 0.300 or so hitter with a steady glove and the Sox keep on winning? What do you do at the deadline then? If teams ask for Crede, how can you trade him if you are in a pennant race then??? Especially if it is an AL team that asks for him....

I have a feeling we will keep Crede all year and then make the decision (extend Crede and trade Fields or let him go and get draft picks) at the end of this season.....I know there will be people here crying about how we did not get any overhyped, over-rated spects instead .... but you cannot give up a player if your team is in a pennant race.....that would not sit well in the clubhouse or with the casual fans (White flag).

1 sandwich pick probably somewhere between #50 and #65. (if he has a HUGE season and qualifies as a type b free agent, he will not reach type A status.)

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Maybe some people here need to learn to not over-react in off seasons and stop throwing things at other people's faces then? Just a thought that makes sense. It would be nice if fans treated all players with respect, and that includes someone like Crede who was injured last year.

you know what, you are one to talk. You have bumped the "the Joke that is the White sox" thread multiple times and you have been baiting people for the last week. Thats exactly what I am talking about what is wrong with this thread. And if Crede starts slumping, the rhetoric will be the exact opposite and get the exact same thing accomplished, which is nothing.

im done with this thread

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
Serious question - I have always been a Crede fan and fully expected him to revert to being a solid contributor this year. He is not going to be a 0.350 hitter of course over the course of the season; but what if he continues to be a 0.300 or so hitter with a steady glove and the Sox keep on winning? What do you do at the deadline then? If teams ask for Crede, how can you trade him if you are in a pennant race then??? Especially if it is an AL team that asks for him....

I have a feeling we will keep Crede all year and then make the decision (extend Crede and trade Fields or let him go and get draft picks) at the end of this season.....I know there will be people here crying about how we did not get any overhyped, over-rated spects instead .... but you cannot give up a player if your team is in a pennant race.....that would not sit well in the clubhouse or with the casual fans (White flag).

A pennant is worth a hell of a lot more than a draft pick. If Joe acts like the Joe of 06, simple fact is, we can't move him. If the team stays in the hunt and Joe keeps hitting, then he'll wind up as a FA this offseason. Odds are, the Sox will make an offer on him, but reality is, unless Joe changes agents, if Joe keeps hitting, there will be teams that offer him more money than we will. Our salary is already what, 5th highest in baseball? When we have a guy who might be able to take that position for a lot less money, we just won't be in a position where there's much we can do.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
I still think Fields is

That's confusing. Are you really saying if their careers ended today, Fields would be considered the better player? Wow.

sox-r-us, it's great that you feel some how redeemed with Crede's success.

But I think you are dishing out the 'I told you so' a bit heavy for one week into the season. even if you turn out to be correct at the end of the year, is it really necessary to instigate to this level?

this is coming from someone who wanted Crede in the lineup for 2008. so this isn't a 'sour grapes' post

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
You cannot be right or wrong about a player in 7 games. Thank you for playing.

Actually, yes you can. If you thought that Joe Crede's back would not recover from the surgery or would hamper him to the point that he wasn't going to be able to play ball again, or you thought Joe would take a significant amount of baseball action before being able to get back in to a groove with the bat, you've been proven wrong.

We can't guarantee he won't fall in to an 05 like slump, we can't guarantee his back will hold up the whole year, but if we thought he wasn't going to be ready yet...he is.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
That's confusing. Are you really saying if their careers ended today, Fields would be considered the better player? Wow.

I don't think he's suggested anything close to that at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
A pennant is worth a hell of a lot more than a draft pick. If Joe acts like the Joe of 06, simple fact is, we can't move him. If the team stays in the hunt and Joe keeps hitting, then he'll wind up as a FA this offseason. Odds are, the Sox will make an offer on him, but reality is, unless Joe changes agents, if Joe keeps hitting, there will be teams that offer him more money than we will. Our salary is already what, 5th highest in baseball? When we have a guy who might be able to take that position for a lot less money, we just won't be in a position where there's much we can do.

Don't forget we will have some major contracts coming off the books in 2010', so it may be just a function of making the money work for 09' regarding Joe and a contract extension...

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)

well, um... I never said anything close to that. I just said that I think Fields is the better baseball player.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
well, um... I never said anything close to that. I just said that I think Fields is the better baseball player.

already? There's absolutely no way one can argue that accurately. You expect him to be? Fine. But as of right now? That's just a distortion of the facts.

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
Looks like someone is bitter :rolleyes:

yeah cuz every where in that post was me being bitter ... all your doing is trying to look for something .. im pretty sure i just gave a nod to crede, leave it to inconsiderate people to try and start something though

Guys there are certain posts in this thread that make it almost unreadable. Not directing that at anybody. I don't know why this has to be so polarized, it's ridiculous. If Joe Crede is doing great we should all be happy in theory right? Josh Fields or no Josh Fields.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
This thread shouldnt have even been started. What Crede did today is why he is up here is it not?

Just dont get your panties in a bunch when Crede leaves this season because his agent thinks he can get more then 15 mil a year

and thats all i'll say, and its all that is needed to say. Its 7 games. And why was I wrong about Joe Crede? Pretty sure we know what he did in 06 we should just be glad he is not one of the players that careers fizzle with a bad back injury.

If Boras thinks Crede can get $15 million a year after this year, it will have meant he had a monster season, and would probably have helped the White Sox win a lot of games.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
already? There's absolutely no way one can argue that accurately. You expect him to be? Fine. But as of right now? That's just a distortion of the facts.

not really. You give Fields another 100 AB's last year, and he'd probably get his HR total up to 30 with an RBI total around 80. So, that would mean he would have matched Crede's career high in HR's and be 10 shy of Crede's career high in RBIs... in about 80 less AB's. Plus, last year Fields 35 walks were more then Crede's career high in a season.

I think Fields would at least match Crede's production with less average (and K's) but with more power and possibly OBP. The wildcard here is the defense.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
Guys there are certain posts in this thread that make it almost unreadable. Not directing that at anybody. I don't know why this has to be so polarized, it's ridiculous. If Joe Crede is doing great we should all be happy in theory right? Josh Fields or no Josh Fields.

Exactly! The team is winning, and many players are playing well. I don't understand why some people take more pleasure in being right than enjoying the game. Isn't the Sox why we are here? It seems there is never any middle ground to realize that having talented players is a good thing. It gives the Sox options, which I like. It also protects in case of injury, which is also good for a team that wants to compete.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
I think Fields would at least match Crede's production with less average (and K's) but with more power and possibly OBP. The wildcard here is the defense.

I assume you mean Fields would have less average and more K's right? Crede doesn't strike out (or walk) that much. It's written kind of confusing.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
I assume you mean Fields would have less average and more K's right? Crede doesn't strike out (or walk) that much. It's written kind of confusing.

yes, of course I mean more K's. Come on now, we might have some disagreements, but you should know that I'm not a bumbling imbecile ;)

Edited by BearSox