2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
Fukodome 0-5 with 3 k's

Other than OBP Alexi Ramirez is a better player in just about every facet of the game.

Reds with 7 homeruns today.

The homer Dunn hit was absolutely CRUSHED.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
at 31 years old he should have already learned and adjusted to where his book isn't that big.

Something about old dog and new tricks.....

Not when he was only facing Japanese pitching, which isnt as good, nor as hard to hit as MLB pitching.

I was at Wrigley today, always enjoyable to see a Cubs loss for free. I've probably seen Dunn hit 15 home runs in person, i'm not even kidding. I have been to a lot of Reds games, but he literally homers everytime I go. And today's was as long a homer as I've seen him hit in person, including the one he bounced into the Ohio River. Today's appeared to hit a stoop on one of the buildings across the street.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
I was at Wrigley today, always enjoyable to see a Cubs loss for free. I've probably seen Dunn hit 15 home runs in person, i'm not even kidding. I have been to a lot of Reds games, but he literally homers everytime I go. And today's was as long a homer as I've seen him hit in person, including the one he bounced into the Ohio River. Today's appeared to hit a stoop on one of the buildings across the street.

Didn't this one bounce in the Ohio River, too?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:06 AM)
Didn't this one bounce in the Ohio River, too?

I thought it was heading for the lake. In all seriousness though, I was there for that monster homer Thome hit against the Royals too out to center field about a month ago, but Dunn's today was longer IMO. It was amazing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
I thought it was heading for the lake. In all seriousness though, I was there for that monster homer Thome hit against the Royals too out to center field about a month ago, but Dunn's today was longer IMO. It was amazing.

I was there also. That went around 460-470. I don't think Dunn's today touched even 420, as RF is so short at Wrigley. I'd give it 425 at the most, but it was probably more around 415.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
I was there also. That went around 460-470. I don't think Dunn's today touched even 420, as RF is so short at Wrigley. I'd give it 425 at the most, but it was probably more around 415.

The always reliable www.hittrackeronline.com has Dunn's home run today as the longest in the majors this season in terms of true distance. Having walked on Sheffield Avenue before, I can tell you it's about 50 or 60 feet from the back wall at Wrigley to where the ball hit while landing, plus it's probably another 50 to get it from the wall to the street at Wrigley. Add that in to the wall being about 370 feet or so away where he hit it, and you have the 480 foot or so estimate from that site.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
The always reliable www.hittrackeronline.com has Dunn's home run today as the longest in the majors this season in terms of true distance. Having walked on Sheffield Avenue before, I can tell you it's about 50 or 60 feet from the back wall at Wrigley to where the ball hit while landing, plus it's probably another 50 to get it from the wall to the street at Wrigley. Add that in to the wall being about 370 feet or so away where he hit it, and you have the 480 foot or so estimate from that site.

Wow. I would have never guessed 480. Well OK, I stand corrected.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
We've also had problems from average, mediocre, and just plain bad pitchers too. If I was able to throw 70 mph with my left hand and get it within a few inches of the strike zone, and then either throw a curveball or a 60 mph changeup, I could 2-hit the Sox.

But yeah it does help the Cubs a whole lot that they get to face garbage ass NL pitching.

The Sox are one of the best fastball hitting teams in the entire majors. If you throw 93+, you, at the very least, probably won't shut the Sox down.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
The homer Dunn hit was absolutely CRUSHED.

Did you hear what Boers and Bernstein kept replaying? The TV call with Brenly and Kasper, the ball is hit and the whole crowd gasps and Kasper says "And it is now 10-5" and Brenly is in the background saying "It was windblown"

I hope he was just kidding, but he sounded serious

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 07:04 AM)
Did you hear what Boers and Bernstein kept replaying? The TV call with Brenly and Kasper, the ball is hit and the whole crowd gasps and Kasper says "And it is now 10-5" and Brenly is in the background saying "It was windblown"

If sound had color it would have been in green. Brenly has a dry sense of humor, and he will actually give an honest opinion on the Cubs if they're doing something wrong. I believe it is his last year of his contract and I wouldn't be shocked if he manages somewhere next year.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)

i just saw the highlights....no doubt in my mind brenly was joking about it being windblown

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 03:59 AM)
The Sox are one of the best fastball hitting teams in the entire majors. If you throw 93+, you, at the very least, probably won't shut the Sox down.

It's a tale of two offenses.

If I could throw upper 90s right-handed I would get owned.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 01:59 AM)

On the flip side, anybody who throws like Jamie Moyer has a chance to dazzle us.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
0-0 in the 8th, but Aramis comes up with 2 guys on and hits one onto Waveland.

SOB

The best clutch hitter in baseball...doesn't matter though, it's not like Giants were going to score.