Changes coming by Tuesday?

Big Hurtin

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Thome for Crisp and Masterson

Thats a deal I'd do. I don't know if the Red Sox would, but given Ortiz injury and there financial state (ie, plenty of money) it could be a move that makes sense for both sides. The reason I'd be excited with the deal is it gets the Sox Masterson who is a tremendous arm.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
Thats a deal I'd do. I don't know if the Red Sox would, but given Ortiz injury and there financial state (ie, plenty of money) it could be a move that makes sense for both sides. The reason I'd be excited with the deal is it gets the Sox Masterson who is a tremendous arm.

The only problem with the trade market is, that their scouts are seeing the same thing that we are. Thome has a slow bat right now, and his pitch recognition is a tad off. That will scare some people off. I don't know if they would be willing to pony up anything for Thome right now. This chapter was written starting at the end of last year when we extended Dye with a 2 year, and gave him NTC for the first year. Then Konerko became a 5 and 10 guy. These decisions good or bad, are made. And now we have to live with them. We can shuffle the deck a bit. But I doubt if we can move anything that will bring back what we want.

Things that look good. Cabrera looks like he is coming out of it. He has had some solid hits, and he has motivation to be good. He is older, and is coming up on his last big contract. He will work his ass off and hit well for us. I could care less if he is a mercenary. As long as he plays well.

Quentin has been great.

Alexei looks like he is progressing nicely.

Our pitching has been great.

I think Konerko needs some time on the DL to get his hand right. During this time I would move Swisher to first, and play either Anderson or bring up Owens, Richar or Fields ( when healthy).

Our pitching has a chance to be good for a few years, based on ages outside of the Count. I wouldnt burn that for a single hitter. Pitching is the most important thing in baseball. You can get hitters, you cant get quality pitching.

I should add that despite a lot of my negative nancy posts, I fully believe this team is capable of winning a division. I also fully believe Thome/Konerko are capable of having productive seasons (or seasons from this point on). I just believe it is key for Kenny to notice the flaws in this lineup regardless of the outcome and to hopefully address such flaws in the off-season (he started this off-season and I'd like to see him continue this upcoming one). Maybe they'll be able to make a move in season to correct the flaw to an extent (ie, a leadoff hitter or something; but maybe Alexi develops faster than expected) but anything more than that will be very difficult (given the lack of top notch talent in the high minors which could come up and make an impact or the top notch talent which can be dealt to get guys who can make the impact).

I fully believe Swisher, Konerko, Thome will all finish the year above .250 (maybe not much more above it, but I think they all will, barring one of these guys being seriously injured).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
Because when players preform at their absolute lowest level, thats the time to deal them.

Aside from Quentin, all things considered, Swisher might be the last player on the team I would want to deal right now. Beyond idiotic.

Well, what you think of Swisher probably depends on what you think of his previous "training regimen." There's a chance he might not be the same player again in which case his value is only going down. It's sad to have these sort of doubts about players but those are the consequences of steroid era baseball and a player showing very little power through 2 months of the season.

I'll add my take before we find out the "big changes"

Walker should ask to be reassigned or resign. Ozzie can't bring himself to fire him because I'm sure he is a great guy who is really busting his ass for the team. Why Walker? Because you can't fire Konerko, Swisher, or Thome and Walker is not getting it done. I think it could help to have a fresh perspective. Baseball is a very mental game. Having a new hitting coach with a new direction could have a placebo effect or some sort of wake up call. Hawk has mentioned the idea of more than one hitting coach on occasion. Why not? Be creative! A hitting coach salary is chump change compared to a 12 million dollar player hitting below medoza. Maybe get a 6 million dollar Mendoza and use the other 6 million for a personal hitting coach for every position player. I have nothing against Walker, but something needs to change offensively. Do we really want to start dumping off players like just to have them go to a new team and go back to their career averages.

Anderson should be the starting center fielder. He played very well in the spring and he has been a good boy with some production from the bench. It will at least be a defensive upgrade and I just have a feeling he could actually hit this time if given the chance. He has won the job and Swisher has lost it. Swisher can get it together with the new hitting coach and get his at bats either for a DL'd Konerko, resting Thome and Dye, or coming off of the bench. Swish can still be a big part of the Sox for years to come. Wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if Anderson was too. I could see a future outfield of Swish, Anderson, and Quentin with Dye at DH.

When the trade market heats up a bit, trade Cabrera in a package for a shortstop or second baseman who can leadoff. Trade him back to LA for Figgins. I'm personally ready for the Richar / Ramirez experiment when ever Richar is healthy. Sorry, I'm not a Cabrera fan. I hope he makes me eat my words.

Give Konerko and Thome 6 weeks to heal or get themselves hitting with the new hitting coach. Pray they do because there aren't many options. Liefer or Eldred could hit 200 a lot cheaper. Maybe when they pop up they won't drop their head thinking "damn I was afraid i was going to do that again." Would it be too much to ask for a fly ball with a guy on third with less than two outs? How about Big Jim putting down a bunt to the third base side over and over until the defense has to cover the whole field. Have Jim lead off and go 5-5 with five bunts to the big open space on the left side of the diamond.

Try another blow up doll ceremony? Magic bats? A shot of whiskey before each at bat? Scream "I Am Iron Man" every time you step into the batters box. Sing the the Seseme Street Elmo's World song after each strike. Shave every single hair off of their bodies. F U Jobu, we need some different Mojo.

Tuesday lineup projection

Ramirez 2b

Cabrera

Quentin

Dye

Thome

Crede

AJ

Anderson CF

Swish 1b

Play Hall against lefty's either at catcher or DH. He's been hitting well and has earned the Abs. Play the guys most likely to win the game. I'm sick of carrying 3 or 4 guys working out slumps. Play the guys hitting until they stop hitting. Maybe the pine on the ass will light a fire under a few guys.

Thanks for the rant Ozzie. I didn't see it as knock on KW but more of a disgust for the offense (except CQ) that I happen to share.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

Walker should ask to be reassigned or resign

With all due respect, that is stupid.

No man who is a professional would resign or ask to be reassigned.

I'm not a big Walker fan but I believe Oz in that article where he said he works his

ass off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
While I appreciate Ozzie's fire and frustration, going off like that to the media was wrong. The same message could get across in private conversations probably a lot better. Ozzie was criticizing White Sox fans for criticizing the team not too long ago. If he wanted some offense yesterday, how about letting your best hitter currently, hit?

The team went something like 12-3 after the last time Ozzie went on a media rant like this... I have no doubt this was on purpose because nothing else was working.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 02:08 AM)
With all due respect, that is stupid.

No man who is a professional would resign or ask to be reassigned.

I'm not a big Walker fan but I believe Oz in that article where he said he works his

ass off.

I could be wrong, but I believe Walker said he would do just that last year. I thought I remember him saying...if he feels he isn't getting the job done...he won't have to be fired....he'll leave. I also remember a Mark Gonzo article last year, where he said if there is a change in the hitting coach it will be Greg walkers call.

I was searching for the above quotes and came across this article....This thing could have been written yesterday.

Bats still silent, but not Guillen

Sox manager spreads fault for hitting woes

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

7:37 PM CDT, May 2, 2007

SEATTLE

Suggestions, anyone?

"I just checked my e-mail for what I should do or what kind of lineup I should make out," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Wednesday after the Sox fell 3-2 to the Mariners for their fourth consecutive loss. "There will be 120 e-mails about the lineup."

The Sox's offensive miseries continued. They have scored a total of six runs in their last three games—all on home runs—and have had only one at-bat with runners in scoring position in their last two games.

Hitting coach Greg Walker might be feeling some heat, but Guillen suggested the blame should be shared by everyone.

"All coaches, Ozzie, the video guy, everyone, we have to take the blame because the guys aren't producing," Guillen said before the Sox's batting average dipped to .221. "Maybe we do too much, maybe we're not doing enough. Now it's time to coach. [bad] fighters throw in the towel and quit the fight. Good fighters get up when they get knocked down.

"And we're good fighters. I'm in their corner. Am I 100 percent behind these guys right now? Oh, yeah. I believe in you guys, now go perform."

Paul Konerko, who hit an opposite-field home run off Miguel Batista in the fourth inning, expressed his support for Walker.

"If 'Walk' and [computer analyst] Mike Gellinger weren't here, it would be worse for me," said Konerko, who is batting .202. "It never has crossed my mind, not even once. I don't even want to comment on it because I don't want anything getting written wrong. Anything I've done over the past three or four years is because of Greg Walker and Mike Gellinger.

"When it flows, it will flow."

The lack of run support extended rookie left-hander John Danks' (0-4) losing streak to four games. Danks' exceptional effort was wasted when Yuniesky Betancourt hit a tie-breaking homer with two out in the seventh.

The Sox have provided Danks with only four runs in his five starts.

Guillen said coaches don't get enough credit for players' successes and often are targeted as a source of a team's or player's failures.

"My coaching staff has to have enough guts to take the blame," Guillen said. "I take general blame, and everyone takes blame. Even if they don't want to, they have to. It's easy when something goes wrong to say, 'It's not my fault.' Oh, really?

"A couple of years ago they say we win because of Ozzie ball. Well, we lose because of Ozzie ball. That's the way it is. Don't take credit when things go good because when things go bad, no, no, no.

"I support Greg Walker. I'm behind him 100 percent, and he knows it."

Walker said after the game he knows the territory that comes with a struggling offense and won't change his preparation.

At the same time, Guillen said he doesn't need to chastise his hitters as long as they keep looking for ways to break out of their slumps.

"The only thing I don't like is when my players don't hit and put their head down and look around or tap someone's shoulders and say 'Somebody, do something,' " Guillen said. "I can't do anything, or my coaches. [The players have] the chance to do some damage. Go out and do it."

Konerko agreed with Guillen's assessment.

"It's a team game, but it's an individual situation when it comes to the hitter," Konerko said. "You know what gets you going and fix yourself. Some might be working more or backing off. It's a different answer for everybody. We're doing our best. I guarantee you everyone is playing harder or just as hard as they have."

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
One more thought, I'd be interested to see what a DL trip for Konerko would do to the clubhouse atmosphere. Would things be a little less intense and relaxed. Pauly just seems so understandably uptight when he's in one of his epic slumps. Is that contagious?

I do not think it is stupid. In fact, I'll bet it has happened already and Ozzie refused. We are not talking about a marketing person or a lawyer. He has been a member of a team his whole life. He's coaching a team that he played for and with other coaches that were and still are his friends. If he feels he is letting the team down, then he should resign and not make his friends fire him. The fact that Ozzie mentioned his name in a tirade would be a big hint. I know he works hard and is a great guy. I worked really hard to be a major league baseball player, but I did not have the anywhere near the talent. The Sox have underperformed offensively for over a year. If major league players are professionals and do not need a hitting coach, then why not get rid of the hitting coach and make Walker the Ambassador of clubhouse great guys. Anyhow, Soxtalk has strong opinions from both sides of the Walker issue. A new hitting coach would be my first "big changes by Tuesday", then Anderson starting in center, then next month trade Cabrera for someone with speed and a better attitude.

Walker, like Pulford and Momma Sutter's boys in the Hawks organization, will never leave. It's a mystery, a freak of nature, some weird fold in the cosmos that causes these things to happen. Much like a butterfly fluttering his wings starts a tsunami. Except this is less like a tsunami and more like a sleeping disorder. It's perhaps the curse we carry as Sox fans.

I think if Walker spit on Konerko's thumb it would spontaneously heal. There has been a mistake. For years with think all the legends are about Chuck Norris, but it's really about Walker, as in Walker, Texas Ranger. Hence the confusion.

Seriously, I am beyond worrying or wondering about how or why he is still our lack of hitting coach. There is no logical explanation. There is no track record that defends his continued employment. It must be black magic.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 07:03 AM)
"If 'Walk' and [computer analyst] Mike Gellinger weren't here, it would be worse for me," said Konerko, who is batting .202. "It never has crossed my mind, not even once. I don't even want to comment on it because I don't want anything getting written wrong. Anything I've done over the past three or four years is because of Greg Walker and Mike Gellinger.

Maybe they think too much and are constantly trying to remember what a pitcher throws on a 2 and 2 count with a runner on third instead of seeing the ball and hitting hard somewhere. Maybe they are concentrating on keeping their elbow an inch higher as the fastball blows by them. Konerko seems to think a hitting coach helps him. Maybe a better hitting coach or a hitting coach that is just as good with a different approach would have had him hitting higher than .202. That's awesome. He's hitting .202 and praising the hitting coach. Talk about damning with feint praise.

Walker said after the game he knows the territory that comes with a struggling offense and won't change his preparation.

He has to change something about his preparation because it is not working. I think the previous poster had a great point about Einstein's definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results is insane. I think the fact that some of the fans want him fired have made it less likely. Our GM and manager are very stubborn. Sometimes the set opinions pay off, sometimes they don't. I hope they do something. This team could be 7 games up with just an average offense. The pitching staff has been great.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Well, what you think of Swisher probably depends on what you think of his previous "training regimen." There's a chance he might not be the same player again in which case his value is only going down. It's sad to have these sort of doubts about players but those are the consequences of steroid era baseball and a player showing very little power through 2 months of the season.

If Swisher was a former 'roider, his numbers probably would've began falling off a couple years ago when they implemented testing, rather than suddenly fall through the floor this season. His past two seasons were very similar (more HRs in '06, more 2Bs in '07). That's not to say that he definitely didn't use, but it's not like he had a long Mike Cameron- or Bret Boone-like track record of little power and suddenly morphed into a 30-HR hitter five or six years into his ML career. After watching him swing at balls in the dirt last weekend, I'd say that most of his problems right now are mental.

And I would definitely not trade Swisher either. If Anderson and Owens don't pan out (which is likely in both cases), we're going to need somebody capable of playing CF.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
According to the Score, Walker's response to the what have you was "Out of respect to the owner, I decline to comment." What that means, I don't know.

At face value, it sounds like he's pissed at Ozzie. Then again, who knows if the Score took his comments out of context.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
OZZIE PROMISED IT AND REALLY SHOWED WHAT A MAN HE IS!!

Maybe, just maybe, he hopes Konerko and Thome can rack up some RBI in that part of the lineup, and then when they do, trade them for a guy who will do it more consistently- Jason Bay, for example.

no

It's almost 6 PM CDT and no changes have been made. I say again no changes have been made. Now, I didn't call for any and didn't join in on specualtion or vote in the polls on what I thought the changes should be if any. What we need to do is win and all things will be good again in the World of Ozzie and the Sox. Maybe all this letting off steam will spur a change in the approach at the plate by our heroes. I hope so and that's all I want to see as far a changes are concerned. I am ready for Tuesday night versus KC. Hope to listen on XM tonight for a Sox win.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
It's almost 6 PM CDT and no changes have been made. I say again no changes have been made. Now, I didn't call for any and didn't join in on specualtion or vote in the polls on what I thought the changes should be if any. What we need to do is win and all things will be good again in the World of Ozzie and the Sox. Maybe all this letting off steam will spur a change in the approach at the plate by our heroes. I hope so and that's all I want to see as far a changes are concerned. I am ready for Tuesday night versus KC. Hope to listen on XM tonight for a Sox win.

Actually, it appears there was a change made. They moved Dye down in the order.

Did Ozzie at least apologize for his statements Sunday? Considering the answer to what was done was D.) None of the above, he really looks like a rambling fool right now. I suppose if the fans boo if they score 2 runs tonight he will be all over them in the post game. He has already stated if anyone thinks the Sox can win with this offense they are full of s***.