Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
as much as id like to not see a big east team get an automatic bid...i believe Cincinnati clinched a BCS berth tonight...so id pencil them in ahead of ohio state probably...

They still have to play 'Cuse so they haven't clinched it just yet.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
as much as id like to not see a big east team get an automatic bid...i believe Cincinnati clinched a BCS berth tonight...so id pencil them in ahead of ohio state probably...

Oops, yeah your right

I didn't even think of the Big East because of how lame their auto bid is

My corrected BCS bowls would be as followed then

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

#1 Oklahoma Vs. #2 Florida

ROSE BOWL

Oregon State Vs. Penn State

FIESTA BOWL

Texas Vs. Utah

SUGAR BOWL

Alabama Vs. USC

ORANGE BOWL

Florida State Vs. Cincinnati

Remove Ohio State, add in Cincy.. Of course, if Oregon State loses that would put USC/Penn State in the Rose Bowl and I would then slide Ohio State back into the Sugar Bowl

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
I'd actually say there is a pretty decent chance we do see that game.

I'm not sure what the tie breaking scenarios are that make OU win the big 12 South over UT but the reason the Long Horns wouldn't get in because of their win over OU is because of the fact there is a 3 way tie right now, not just UT and OU.

The BCS standings decide who will play in the B12 championship game...I guess this change occurred after NEB or another team backed into the BCS by not even playing in the Championship game when the favored team that had advanced lost out.

I guess this makes a little more sense...I would imagine if OU beats OSU on the road next week, they will be ahead of TEX in the BCS Standings because they crushed TT so badly and Texas Tech beat Texas in a very close game.

And I guess there's a good chance UF beats Bama to win the SEC Championship. So it at least can happen, about a 50% chance I'd say. I doubt USC will factor into the puzzle, there's a big dropoff to them from #5 to #6.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
Oops, yeah your right

I didn't even think of the Big East because of how lame their auto bid is

My corrected BCS bowls would be as followed then

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

ROSE BOWL

FIESTA BOWL

Texas Vs. Utah

SUGAR BOWL

Alabama Vs. USC

ORANGE BOWL

Florida State Vs. Cincinnati

Remove Ohio State, add in Cincy.. Of course, if Oregon State loses that would put USC/Penn State in the Rose Bowl and I would then slide Ohio State back into the Sugar Bowl

I wonder how many millions of dollars the OB will lose substituting Cincy for OSU? Many, I bet.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
Why? Thats going to be the National Championship game

Oklahoma after tonight will almost certainly jump Texas in the BCS and I don't see them losing to Ok St or Missouri

Alabama is going to get wrecked by Florida in the SEC title game, so the #1 and #2 will be Florida and Oklahoma when its all said and done..

So this is what I am seeing..

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

ROSE BOWL

FIESTA BOWL

Texas Vs. Utah

SUGAR BOWL

Alabama Vs. Ohio State

ORANGE BOWL

Florida State Vs. USC

Of course, thats just a total prediction about how I see it playing out

Stoops has had the most trouble against OSU (until going 1-3 against TEX after thoroughly dominating for five years)....of any team he has played, with the exceptions of USC and LSU.

The game is in Stillwater, that's a HUGE advantage for the Cowpokes. In fact, Josh Fields was a big part of winning a couple of those Bedlam Series match-ups for the Cowboys. That place is already scaring Sooners fans...like the MetroDome for White Sox fans or kryptonite for Superman.

OU will be favored, but a couple of better Sooners teams than this one have lost there in recent years. They will amped up for this game, and they deserve the NC game if they win it....then they still would have to play Missouri (a team they've dominated over the last 10 years), which is another big "letdown" game. But I think Stoops has his team peaking later instead of early and they're not going to take anything for granted like when they lost to KSU 35-7 w/ Jason White at QB. That was the infamous Darren Sproles game.

Edited by caulfield12

I have a hard time distinguishing who the best team is between Texas, USC, Oklahoma, and Florida. I think Texas has to be ranked ahead of OU due to head to head on a neutral field, but a little round robin between those 4 would be nice. Too bad it can't happen.

In regards to relevance though, Texas is in great shape to play in the Big 12 title game if BCS expert Brad Edwards of ESPN is right. He predicts Texas will be #2 and Oklahoma #4 in the BCS standings (with Florida #3) tomorrow. I'm not sure I buy that, but if he is right, I can't see any way Oklahoma can jump Texas, and the BCS standings are the 3 way tiebreaker of course in the Big 12 South. That is how it SHOULD be though, I don't care how good Oklahoma looks, Texas beat them on a neutral field and there is no way for OU to dispute that argument.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
I have a hard time distinguishing who the best team is between Texas, USC, Oklahoma, and Florida. I think Texas has to be ranked ahead of OU due to head to head on a neutral field, but a little round robin between those 4 would be nice. Too bad it can't happen.

In regards to relevance though, Texas is in great shape to play in the Big 12 title game if BCS expert Brad Edwards of ESPN is right. He predicts Texas will be #2 and Oklahoma #4 in the BCS standings (with Florida #3) tomorrow. I'm not sure I buy that, but if he is right, I can't see any way Oklahoma can jump Texas, and the BCS standings are the 3 way tiebreaker of course in the Big 12 South. That is how it SHOULD be though, I don't care how good Oklahoma looks, Texas beat them on a neutral field and there is no way for OU to dispute that argument.

Well, there's some other things to consider...will OU jump ahead of Texas (all the way to #2) in some of the polls? Heck, they might even get some #1 votes as far as I'm concerned.

Second, beating OSU on the road has to improve their BCS Standings a lot more than for TEX to beat Texas A&M, and, by the way, the Longhorns have lost those last two games, so that's not a foregone conclusion. Not to mention the fact that it's a 3 way tie...why can't TT argue they deserve to go, based on their head-to-head win over Texas??? A win is a win and a loss is a loss, right?

Third, momentum...if OU closes out the season trouncing TT and on the road at OSU, that's a lot more compelling to the voters than the way TEX is finishing out the season.

Yes, they won on a neutral field in a game OU choked away, but Texas lost to TT, and TT was blitzkrieged by OU. I think that equalizes that argument in the eyes of many fans.

If OU does beat OSU and finishes behind TEX, you will have the most heated argument/s ever about the playoff system and BCS.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
Well, there's some other things to consider...will OU jump ahead of Texas (all the way to #2) in some of the polls? Heck, they might even get some #1 votes as far as I'm concerned.

Second, beating OSU on the road has to improve their BCS Standings a lot more than for TEX to beat Texas A&M, and, by the way, the Longhorns have lost those last two games, so that's not a foregone conclusion. Not to mention the fact that it's a 3 way tie...why can't TT argue they deserve to go, based on their head-to-head win over Texas??? A win is a win and a loss is a loss, right?

Third, momentum...if OU closes out the season trouncing TT and on the road at OSU, that's a lot more compelling to the voters than the way TEX is finishing out the season.

Yes, they won on a neutral field in a game OU choked away, but Texas lost to TT, and TT was blitzkrieged by OU. I think that equalizes that argument in the eyes of many fans.

If OU does beat OSU and finishes behind TEX, you will have the most heated argument/s ever about the playoff system and BCS.

Nope. The whole "we beat them though!" argument among the three tied teams, to me, is decided by the fact that Texas has the only win in the 3 team round robin that wasn't on it's home field in the neutral game against Oklahoma. A win is a win and a loss is a loss isn't how it works in college football (that's why the system sucks), and yes OU beat Texas Tech, but it was at home, and yes Texas Tech beat Texas, but it was at home and on a miracle last second play. Texas beat Oklahoma in a true neutral site game, and that decides it for me based on the system we have right now. We have to keep in mind though, Texas Tech is no longer in this argument. They were pathetic tonight, and they will drop so far in the polls that they have no shot in the BCS 3 way tie. Their only chance is Oklahoma losing to Oklahoma State in Stillwater, and I wouldn't bet on that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

For the record, the Big 12's 3-way tiebreaker isn't BCS ranking. It's the 6th tiebreaker or something. It's just that their only losses are to each other that all the tiebreakers are rendered useless.

Anyway, I'm not surprised OU won by a few scores, but this many is funny. It's good to see people are still overreacting to the most recent week and suddenly think OU is the best team of the Big 12 South teams. Let's not forget that playing tough teams multiple weeks in a row burned Texas and Tech, maybe it will burn OU before all is said and done. I'm rooting for chaos, as always. It keeps me interested, though usually results in me not caring about the national title game as much.

Also, I was at the Northwestern game today and that was fun regardless of the cold. Looks like they will probably get the 5th Big Ten bowl and Ohio State might not even get in the BCS making it a lesser bowl, but we'll see. It sucks to always get a crappier bowl because of being the smallest school in the conference.

Texas Tech didn't just sneak by Texas, they let them back into the game with some mistakes. TTU put up about 200 more yards in the game than Texas and dominated most facets of the game.

Winning on the road is tough enough for anyone inside the Big 12 South. OU will have their hands full next week.

101, your argument doesn't work because OU beat the hell out of Tech. That could trump the neutral field vs. home field argument. The bottom line is that you can go back and forth about all 3 teams right now. It's best to let the rest of the season play out and then reevaluate.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
101, your argument doesn't work because OU beat the hell out of Tech. That could trump the neutral field vs. home field argument. The bottom line is that you can go back and forth about all 3 teams right now. It's best to let the rest of the season play out and then reevaluate.

How doesn't it work? If you are going to have an argument between who is better, Texas or Oklahoma, it's impossible to ignore that they played on a true netural site. Now, the fact Texas Tech got it's ass kicked tonight is noteworthy, but the only note to it is that it elminates Texas Tech (unless OU loses in Stillwater) due to how far they will drop in the polls. HOPEFULLY, something happens to sort it out though because you are right, this could be argued about all day. I am hoping Florida State SOMEHOW beats Florida, unlikely as it is. Because if they do, Florida beats Alabama, and then Mizzou wins the Big 12 title game, all hell breaks lose.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
Congrats Myron Rolle

I absolutely love this guy. I'm not a FSU fan or anything, but since I first read about his Rhodes Scholar situation awhile back, I was hoping he'd get it. I didn't realize that he would find out today until I was watching the FSU/Maryland pre-game and they were talking about how he just found out he was awarded the scholarship. What a phenomenal story...

Add Rodriguez at MICHIGAN to the list...hot seat getting hotter for Bielema as well. As an Iowa grad, I thought he had the recruiting ability and motivational skills to be a great head coach, but maybe he wasn't quite ready for the big-time quite yet.

I think it's 50/50 whether Bobby Stoops could have done a better job at Iowa than Kirk Ferentz has, with the much more limited talent pool, sharing the state with ISU...having no major population centers in the states like all the other B10 schools and having the smallest African/American population as well.