Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 05:34 AM)
The White Sox are taking the extreme approach to this recesion and are gonna play the cheap game.

KW's either really good at staying under the radar, or we are not in the picture for any of these free agents. I haven't seen the Sox listed as a possible suitor by anyone.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:37 AM)
I didn't believe you just 3 days ago, but I more than believe it now.

The Swisher trade and Dotel and Ramirez signings all occurred after the meetings last year. I won't be worried unless the Sox have made no moves by the time I'm back at school.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
KW's either really good at staying under the radar, or we are not in the picture for any of these free agents. I haven't seen the Sox listed as a possible suitor by anyone.

Well that's changed now with Abreu at least.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
The Swisher trade and Dotel and Ramirez signings all occurred after the meetings last year. I won't be worried unless the Sox have made no moves by the time I'm back at school.

Last year, however, I wasn't as worried about us adding on salary.

Abreu to the Sox makes a lot of sense but I'm guessing the Sox want that to stay as quiet as possible because you don't want other teams to know we are more forced to deal Dye (not that we are truly forced).

I would be so thrilled if we could get an A prospect for Dye and than replace Dye with Abreu.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Abreu to the Sox makes a lot of sense but I'm guessing the Sox want that to stay as quiet as possible because you don't want other teams to know we are more forced to deal Dye (not that we are truly forced).

I would be so thrilled if we could get an A prospect for Dye and than replace Dye with Abreu.

The obvious question would be "why would a team trade for Dye when they could keep their prospects and sign Abreu?"

Edited by wsgdf_2

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
The obvious question would be "why would a team trade for Dye when they could keep their prospects and sign Abreu?"

Dye effectively has a 1 year deal with a team option IIRC. It's unlikely Abreu takes less than 3 year deal. Dye makes a lot more sense to a financially conscious team than Abreu.

The question really is, does Abreu make sense for the Sox? He's a butcher in the OF, which is something the Sox *seem* to be trying to get away from. And they would be on the hook to him for 2 years in which Abreu definitely should not be in the field and they already have a DH in waiting with Konerko.

If the Sox want to cut costs and get young while trying to compete in 2009, Dye makes more sense for them than Abreu.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
Dye is a righty. Abreu is lefty. Different needs for different teams.

Abreu plays everyday and hit lefties at least in 2008 pretty well. .315 with a .372 OBP. I would think if you didn't have to give up prospects and could actually pay him less than you pay JD, it makes a lot more sense to sign him. Maybe he doesn't want to play for Cincinatti is my only guess.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)

I think the team trading for Dye would want him because for there team they might potentially see him as an upgrade and this will assure them of getting there guy. There is no sure fire way of knowing that you are going to land one of the FA outfielders. The Reds are the type of team that would have a hard time convincing Abreu or Burrel to leave a winning organization. Lots more money might make a difference but it doesn't sound as if the Reds are in that position.

The Dodgers would have to think that route but if they lost Manny, they'd be looking more for a middle of the order run producer and Dye might be the best fit.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
We are gonna lose bailey to another deal-while Rome burns & Nero (KW) fiddles

It has happened to him before-for all the kudos he gets about making deals, he also has procrastinated himself out of players he has wanted in the past

Yeah and what if Bailey sucks next season? Will you then say it was a brilliant "non-move"? And what if the trade happens and Cooper can't turn Bailey around? Then dye is gone and your 4th starter is stuck in the minors and we're left with CRAP (no slash). All KW wants is another prospect to make this deal a good one in case Bailey doesn't pan out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
:lol: If i was any good at making these kinds of things I'd definitley get to work on a CR/AP avatar.

It really has been an important part of the off-season entertainment.

bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey! bailey!

give them money even if they want it! f***! it fits too perfect!

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)

It has happened to him before-for all the kudos he gets about making deals, he also has procrastinated himself out of players he has wanted in the past

And you know this is the case how?

When has his lack of movement cost him a player? Give me an example.

Because we all know Kenny Williams is afraid to pull the trigger :lolhitting