White Sox Mount Rushmore

Cochise

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
I was going to say Big Stein, but I think he only has 6. How about the Buss family? How long have they had the Lakers?

Since Magic's second year I think. Maybe before that. That makes him have 8 with the Lakers. So he's on their Mount Rushmore.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
Thomas should have been over Banks.

Fixed that for you. No, not because I loathe the Cubs either... it's just a trendy pick. Hurt was the most feared hitter in the leagues for the better half of a decade, and imo the best player to play the diamond in Chicago history.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
Fixed that for you. No, not because I loathe the Cubs either... it's just a trendy pick. Hurt was the most feared hitter in the leagues for the better half of a decade, and imo the best player to play the diamond in Chicago history.

agreed. I think some people view frank how he was post 2000, with his various injuries that really stalled his career.. But between 1991 and 1997, he was one of the most feared hitters in MLB history... not just Chicago. He had a string of seasons unlike anyone... ever.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
agreed. I think some people view frank how he was post 2000, with his various injuries that really stalled his career.. But between 1991 and 1997, he was one of the most feared hitters in MLB history... not just Chicago. He had a string of seasons unlike anyone... ever.

Maybe not so much the end of his career on the field performances, but maybe moreso his negative off the field image as his veteran career aged. He really wasn't too pleasant of a cat after his divorce and his agent passed.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Maybe not so much the end of his career on the field performances, but maybe moreso his negative off the field image as his veteran career aged. He really wasn't too pleasant of a cat after his divorce and his agent passed.

that's absolutely a factor as well. good call.

How did they overlook Sosa, lol? Five years ago, he would have taken Banks' place for sure.

I would go with Thomas, Fox, Aparicio and Shoeless Joe.

An interesting/controversial pick would have been Veeck, of course, you can't have Veeck without Reinsdorf (love him or hate him), so I nixed that idea completely.

Fisk? Close call, but his going with the Red Sox cap eliminated him. Someone had a good catch with Minnie Minoso, too.

Baines is the sentimental pick, but not quite good enough. If you were two Mt. Rushmores from the last 25 years, it would probably be some combination of Baines/Guillen/McDowell/Fisk/Ventura and then Thomas/Konerko/Buehrle/Ordonez I guess. Heck, you could make an argument for DON COOPER or HERM SCHNEIDER, hahaha.

We could also have a Crede/Brian Anderson/Aaron Rowand/Robin Ventura special monument for fanboys.

So many interesting possibilities...having had Bo Jackson and Michael Jordan on the team, they wouldn't fit exactly, but iconic figures nonetheless.

I know all those guys like Appling, Lyons, Wilhelm, Eddie Collins, etc., deserve a place, but history tends to have a short memory....which is why it would be biased in favor of modern players...I say that having picked 3/4 players from a half decade prior!

Also interesting that no other managers/coaches came up in the history of our franchise...not sure what that says. Guillen would be there for a combination of his playing days and managing, but I'm not quite ready to bump him for Fox or Aparacio. And then you always have the high probability he would do something idiotic and you would have to sandblast him off the facade and replace him with someone like Baines who wouldn't ever get in trouble.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
There definitely needs to be a representative from the '05 team preferably kicking Baines off anyone's mountain. Frank, Buehrle/Ozzie, Aparicio/Fox, Whoever. The Sox don't exactly have an illustrious history of great players, probably the worst of any team that's been around for 60+ years. You could probably make an argument for Maggs (better baseball player than Baines) and Konerko being included on Mt. Rushmore.

the phillies. all i have to say.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
the phillies. all i have to say.

Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt, Napoleon Lajoie, Bob Boone, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Robin Roberts, Dick Allen, Greg Luzinski, Richie Ashburn, Ron Reed, Tug McGraw, Chuck Klein, Curt Schilling, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels.

I'm new to the board so please be kind, I come in peace... :gosox3:

My personal Mt Rushmore based on who I've seen play (no offense to Shoeless Joe, Nellie Fox, Aparicio, etc.) would be...

Frank Thomas, Carlton Fisk, Robin Ventura and Harold Baines.

McDowell and Buehrle would certainly be in the running as well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt, Napoleon Lajoie, Bob Boone, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Robin Roberts, Dick Allen, Greg Luzinski, Richie Ashburn, Ron Reed, Tug McGraw, Chuck Klein, Curt Schilling, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels.

Bob Boone? Ron Reed? No Bake McBride, Garry Maddox or Ivan DeJesus?

I was just laughing with Boone's name stuck in there between two HOFers.

Schilling bounced around a little bit to be most closely identified as a Phillie. Kind of like Fisk, I think he'll be remembered more as a Red Sox.

You can also add Bob Abreu, he's probably been their best player over the last decade on a consistent basis.

How can no one have mentioned Eddie Collins? Arguably the second best second baseman of all time. Nellie Fox wasn't CLOSE to being as good as Eddie Collins. Frank's the greatest player. Then Collins, Appling and Walsh...the guy pitched nearly five HUNDRED innings one year...1800 batters faced...wonder what BAseball prospectus' pitcher abuse points looked like for that season?

That is actually tougher than I thought.

Since we seem to be thinking players only,

Thomas, Fisk, Aparicio, Fox

Tough calls Joe Jackson (too controversial)

Baines (character ++)

Ozzie (player/manager ++ controversy --)

Veeck (if we expanded)

Chuck Comisky

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
If you're including a coach, choose Halas or Phil Jackson over Ditka.

Halas yes...Jackson, no.

The thing about Ditka is that he stayed here. Even though he was born in Pennsylvania, he is the epitome of Chicago. He's even kind of an extension of the Halas family. Phil Jackson is a great coach, but he gawn. Ditka is the epitome of Chicago. Just sayin'.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm not swayed by the tenure argument. JFK was only president for 3 years, and he is on the half-dollar. Shoeless Joe may have been the greatest all-around player to ever wear a White Sox uniform, and while he was here, he won pennants and a series. The White Sox don't have too many of those.

Lyons is deserving and I considered him, but I doubt many non-Sox fans have heard of him. Shoeless Joe is both deserving and iconic, though for both good and bad reasons.

And don't forget, Shoeless Joe was found "not guilty." Blago might not be so lucky. ;)

There is no debate on that topic. Frank Thomas was the greatest all-around player to ever wear a White Sox uniform.

Ditka does not deserve to be on the Rushmore for IL. He had a great team to coach. Actually should of won more than one Super Bowl. I have no problem with Banks being on there but Frank should be as well. Also, what about Hull, Mikita or Esposito?

QUOTE (Cochise @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
So ESPN's Page 2 has this thing about Mount Rushmore's of sports, and with baseball they did 4 iconic faces for each club. According to ESPN, the Sox Mount Rushmore would consist of Frank, Luke Appling, Nellie Fox, and Shoeless Joe.

Who would you put up there?

I had 3 out of those 4 when I thought about it but instead of Fox I had Ozzie in mind to represent the 05 championship team.