Dayan or Beckham at 3rd if Fields can't do it

wilmot825

If Josh Fields can't handle the hot corner, which he really cannot do, who is the better option at third? Would you rather see Slayer Beckham come up and play third base, eventhough it is not his natural position? Or do the Sox bring up the 20 year old wonder Dayan who just raised his batting average to .270? The trade off for each one is that Beckham is a good bat but is going to be out of position, while Dayan is a natural third baseman but has had his struggles in Double A. I want the (un)Becks up with the big club but I do see the value of bringing up Dayan instead. Does this post serve any real purpose and does there need to be consideration between the two players?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please keep making these threads. More and more of them have been appearing over the last 2 weeks, and Fields performance has spiked simultaneously. Hell he has a key hit and 2 RBI off of Greinke today.

And Viciedo is not even close to ready.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ May 31, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
If Josh Fields can't handle the hot corner, which he really cannot do, who is the better option at third? Would you rather see Slayer Beckham come up and play third base, eventhough it is not his natural position? Or do the Sox bring up the 20 year old wonder Dayan who just raised his batting average to .270? The trade off for each one is that Beckham is a good bat but is going to be out of position, while Dayan is a natural third baseman but has had his struggles in Double A. I want the (un)Becks up with the big club but I do see the value of bringing up Dayan instead. Does this post serve any real purpose and does there need to be consideration between the two players?

LOL, this should really be the first thing that goes through your mind before you hit submit, not the last thing that you type and then hit submit

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 31, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
LOL, this should really be the first thing that goes through your mind before you hit submit, not the last thing that you type and then hit submit

:lolhitting

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 31, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)

POINT TAKEN....sry

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Viciedo BB/K is 0.13 (that's really, really, really bad). .653 OPS. And his D at third seems to be borderline horrible. He's 6th in the Southern League in RBI. So that's something to feel good about. But he's nowhere near ready for the show yet. So, yeah, I'd go with Beckham.

Viciedo's been steadily improving with the bat, but yeah, he is still nowhere near ready. I'm not sure why some of us even thought he was during ST.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 31, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Viciedo's been steadily improving with the bat, but yeah, he is still nowhere near ready. I'm not sure why some of us even thought he was during ST.

I believe the thinking was that since Miguel Cabrera was ready at 20 than Viciedo would be as well. I love Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I believe the thinking was that since Miguel Cabrera was ready at 20 than Viciedo would be as well. I love Soxtalk.

lol, despite the silly s*** that people say on a regular basis here and the minimum 3 facepalms per day, I honestly do love this place.

Ok first time posting but anyways I think it would be very very bad for the sox to have to call up Beckham to play third base this season. There is now way The Cuban Pimp is ready for the big leagues and in my mind I don't think there is any doubt that Beckham could hold his own right now in the big leagues. That being said, the reason Beckham is so highly reguarded as a prospect is he is such a good hitter for a middle infielder. Now if he plays a good 3rd base and hits how people project him to hit he will be a nice player but by no means a superstar. Going along with this,if Josh loses the job to Beckham, Fields becomes virtually useless to us in trades in that his trade value really has never been as low as it is now. So best case scenario for me, Gordon continues to succeed in the minor leagues and Josh keeps hitting the ball like he has over these past few days. Next year we can hopefully trade Getz of Fields for a good major league ready pitcher or outfield and have Beckham step in and be the savior all of the southside expects him to be.

QUOTE (jimmiething @ May 31, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
Ok first time posting but anyways I think it would be very very bad for the sox to have to call up Beckham to play third base this season. There is now way The Cuban Pimp is ready for the big leagues and in my mind I don't think there is any doubt that Beckham could hold his own right now in the big leagues. That being said, the reason Beckham is so highly reguarded as a prospect is he is such a good hitter for a middle infielder. Now if he plays a good 3rd base and hits how people project him to hit he will be a nice player but by no means a superstar. Going along with this,if Josh loses the job to Beckham, Fields becomes virtually useless to us in trades in that his trade value really has never been as low as it is now. So best case scenario for me, Gordon continues to succeed in the minor leagues and Josh keeps hitting the ball like he has over these past few days. Next year we can hopefully trade Getz of Fields for a good major league ready pitcher or outfield and have Beckham step in and be the savior all of the southside expects him to be.

Great post...please post more.

QUOTE (jimmiething @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)

Welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (jimmiething @ May 31, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)

Your argument is very good, in theory. However, position scarcity only works from an "on-paper" standpoint. We, as fans, have to always remember, the key is not to have the best or most valuable team on-paper, but to win the most ballgames on the field. And therefore, if Beckham were to provide better play at 3b than what we are currently getting, as opposed to building up his prospect status down in Birmingham as a MI, than it may be advantageous to do so, if only temporarily.

Of course you mention all the long-term implications such as rebuilding Josh's value, establishing Beckham as one of the best young MI's in the game, etc., etc., but at what point do those become secondary to competing for a division title NOW?

Ideally, yes, that would be the situation.

But the whole idea of Beckham losing value as a 3B and such is crap. You don't make out the lineup so a player can be considered a "superstar" at a position. I like to use the Michael Young example.

Superstar on offense at SS. However, now that he is at 3B, does he mean less to his team? Has his value decreased at all? No. He's still a great hitter whether you have him play SS, 2B, or 3B.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
His swing is too long. It is not a coincidence that he makes he best contract with two strikes when he shortens up.

I disagree. Josh handles the breaking balls the best, and when he's behind in the count, he's gonna see a lot of breaking balls low and over the plate or away.

For instance, his hit today vs. Greinke was a curve low on a 1-2 count. That's a pitch he's always been able to handle. I don't get why pitchers don't challenge him up and in with fastball more often. If I was a pitcher, every time I got 2 strikes on him, I'd challenge with a fastball on the inner portion of the plate above the belt. He can't hit that pitch if it's over 90 mph.

As for not being able to hit the meatball right down the middle on 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, it's mainly because he's afraid to pull the trigger, IMO. Yes, his swing is long and he has slow bat speed which makes it a lot tougher. But the whole world knows a fastball is coming, but Fields doesn't pull the trigger until it's a mili-second to late and he fouls it away.

His long swing and slow bat speed come into play when he has 2 strikes on him. He's up there trying to protect, and when he gets that fastball, his very late and rarely makes contact if it's over 90 mph.

Ryne Sandburg was a 3B when he came up. So was Cal Ripken. Not to say Beckham is going to be a HOFer (hopefully) but if he plays 3B a couple of months in 2008, it won't make him a 3B for the rest of his career. Chances are Fields and/or Getz trade value isn't going to be too affected by a couple of months of performance unless its absolutly dominating, and if that happened the Sox would probably want to keep them. I think Beckham is just wasting time in AAA. If Fields builds on his recent success and starts hitting for power, he'll be at third. If he falters, Beckham's coming.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
Ryne Sandburg was a 3B when he came up. So was Cal Ripken. Not to say Beckham is going to be a HOFer (hopefully) but if he plays 3B a couple of months in 2008, it won't make him a 3B for the rest of his career. Chances are Fields and/or Getz trade value isn't going to be too affected by a couple of months of performance unless its absolutly dominating, and if that happened the Sox would probably want to keep them. I think Beckham is just wasting time in AAA. If Fields builds on his recent success and starts hitting for power, he'll be at third. If he falters, Beckham's coming.

Good points.