Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 02:12 AM)
Holy s***, I've been watching this cheesy Brazilian horror movie on IFC called Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures. It's so bad that it's good. haha!

As a closet fan of bad art house cinema, this one is a gem — particularly the opening 15 minutes or so.

Ed Wood would have been jealous.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Seems like a really slow time for movies at theaters right now.

Now through about march is usually the family fare movietime, which means more crap. you get a good movie about 1 out of every 7 it seems

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Has anyone seen the new Boondock Saints movie?

I know one person who has seen it so far, and he's the type of guy to love those kinds of movies. I know he really liked the first one, but he called All Saints Day the worst movie he'd ever seen. Apparently it's the first movie he's ever walked out of, and he wonders how it even got made.

I tend to trust this guy's taste in movies.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
Has anyone seen the following 2 horror movies:

The Audition (1999) or the Orphanage?

I'm going to rent one of them tonight and watch it with the lady after we carve pumpkins. Both were on a ton of top horror lists and I haven't seen either.

Anyone recommend one over the other or anything like that?

The Orphanage was really good--but it carried a lot more of an emotional kick than most scary type movies. Highly recommended though. Sorry this is so late.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 07:50 AM)
The Orphanage was really good--but it carried a lot more of an emotional kick than most scary type movies. Highly recommended though. Sorry this is so late.

No problemo...I ended up going with that one and we both really really enjoyed it. Definitely moer in the pyschological thriller than a pop up and scare you movie, but it was creepy and I enjoyed how the ending tied everything up.

Okay so instead of bumping the thread of the year I will post this here. "Precious" was an excellent movie. The acting really got me with it and I actually enjoyed it more than my girl did . I will still never watch a Tyler Perry comedy but his drama's I will give a chance cause it was just that well made IMO.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
Okay so instead of bumping the thread of the year I will post this here. "Precious" was an excellent movie. The acting really got me with it and I actually enjoyed it more than my girl did . I will still never watch a Tyler Perry comedy but his drama's I will give a chance cause it was just that well made IMO.

I saw your girl's pic. I'd watch kitten murder for her if she wanted it.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)

This is probably because Tyler Perry had almost nothing to do with the making of Precious.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 06:41 AM)

It seems extremely depressing, like Monster's Ball meets the Color Purple. Is it that bad?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
Yeah I don't see the point.

I loved Let The Right One In. So creepy and happy and all kinds of weird emotions provoked. And the kids seemed like kids and not kids saying adult lines.

All true, and so much of the darker subtext hits you long after the film is over.

Oskar relocating with Eli as a 12 year old boy seems to be an almost promising future at the end of the film. But then you realize that is probably how Haken (Eli's adult caretaker) probably came to be with her many years earlier. He lived and ultimately died for her, and and you have to assume that eventually so will Oskar, while the 200-year old 12-year old vampire girl carries on.

Really really well done.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
All true, and so muche of the darker subtext hits you long after the film is over.

Oskar relocating with Eli as a 12 year old boy seems to be an almost promising future at the end of the film. But then you realize that is probably how Haken (Eli's adult caretaker) probably came to be with her many years earlier. He lived and ultimately died for her, and and you have to assume that eventually so will Oskar, while the 200-year old 12-year old vampire girl carries on.

Really really well done.

Thanks...don't have to see it now