Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
Some people think we overpaid? Really? We managed to grab an ace with out giving up Huddy, Flowers, Danks or Viciedo. This wasn't even close to an overpay, this was a genius move by Kenny. Absolute genius.
I completely agree, I love that they sold this high on Richard.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
I know, I know. I'm sorry. Forgive me for eying the stats like a hawk after such a big trade. I originally made a post regarding his W/L, but I deleted it after I realized what you are saying. I was more directing that towards the guy I quoted. Overall, his stats seem pretty solid. Either way, I'm very exited over this trade.

J4L forgives you. :cheers

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Via MLBTR... "Frankly I am flabbergasted that the White Sox would want to make this deal with him in his physical condition," Axelrod said.

Is that a bad thing?

I think KW made this trade with the full knowledge that Peavy might not help us at all this year.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Via MLBTR... "Frankly I am flabbergasted that the White Sox would want to make this deal with him in his physical condition," Axelrod said.

Is that a bad thing?

That's an odd way of putting it. In the same article he says that the thing he stressed to KW was that Peavy hadn't thrown off a mound in 2 months.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
I think that the best thing about this trade is KW basically telling the Tigers and the Twins... "You can take your Washburn and your OC and you can go f*** yourselves"...

Again...

healthy players

QUOTE (League @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
That's an odd way of putting it. In the same article he says that the thing he stressed to KW was that Peavy hadn't thrown off a mound in 2 months.

i think this shows that this move is really for the next couple years and just roll the dice in this bad division this year. I have no problem with the deal.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
I think that the best thing about this trade is KW basically telling the Tigers and the Twins... "You can take your Washburn and your OC and you can go f*** yourselves"...

I love it.

Not really. Washburn and OC are rentals for the rest of the year only. We don't even know for sure that Peavy will pitch at all the rest of the year. They're looking short term while Kenny's looking more long term, with a possible bonus for the short term.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
i think this shows that this move is really for the next couple years and just roll the dice in this bad division this year. I have no problem with the deal.

Exactly. We'd go just as crazy if this deal was made at the winter meetings. Peavy being signed for so long is what makes this a spectacular deal for KW.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)

I love it.

And the Tigers are in "win-now" mode, so next year, when Washburn is somewhere else and Peavy shuts them out for the 3rd time...we can sit back, strap it down, enjoy a cold one and giggle ever-so-slightly to ourselves about how the Tigers were a washout in the ALDS. And when Peavy strikes out OC in game 163 this year for another 1-0 complete game, we can call the scorekeeper and say, "I know it looked like he swung.... Sorry man, can't say it without laughing."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
So, no one knows anything about the opt-out then?

That seems like something that would've been mentioned. The deal was made in 37 minutes according to his agent, I really doubt that they discussed that.