Joe Crede Possibly Retiring

Quin

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
4 guys who were average or better? That doesn't seem terrible to me. That seems about average.

Perry played only 200 games, and Eric Soderholm as your 3rd best 3rd basemen in a span of almost half a century? That's not good at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Perry played only 200 games, and Eric Soderholm as your 3rd best 3rd basemen in a span of almost half a century? That's not good at all.

The fact that I don't know who he is doesn't suddenly make a 114 OPS+ a bad thing.

QUOTE (LZPride08 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)
i hope the white sox give him a 1 day ontract so he can retire a White Sox

I'd like to see that too. As well as Frank one day (or at least honor him in some way, shape or form).

I don't know about that, but he should be honored in some way after he retires.

He already got a video when he came back with the Twins with their first USCF road game this year.

If people feel he deserves more, perhaps being a spokesman for some strip club that airs commercials on 670 the score will be enough.

2005 4 LYFE!

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
He already got a video when he came back with the Twins with their first USCF road game this year.

If people feel he deserves more, perhaps being a spokesman for some strip club that airs commercials on 670 the score will be enough.

2005 4 LYFE!

I don't what people want the sox to do for Crede. We can't have a statue for every decent player we ever have. Chris Widger on the other hand should be given the key to the city.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
I don't what people want the sox to do for Crede. We can't have a statue for every decent player we ever have. Chris Widger on the other hand should be given the key to the city.

I firmly believe Timo needs something too.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
I hope he gives it every shot he has left before retiring and can walk away knowing he gave it his best.

If he keeps on pushing it, he might end up walking away in a wheelchair. His back hasn't responded to surgery and he hasn't played anything close to full season since 2006. I wish that he'd be able to keep on playing but wouldn't think less of him for hanging up his spikes at this point.

Whatever happens, Joe will always have a ring and will be revered by Sox fans.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1999773:date=Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 PM:name=whitesoxfan101)-->
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
<!--quotec-->That's not a very good statement about the 3rd basemen we've had in your time as a fan (and I know you have been a Sox fan for quite a while).

It's definitely an indictment on the team's inability to fill the 3B position with a competent everyday player.

Playing for the Sox from 1965 to 2009, played 70% of games at 3B, requiring at least 100 G, sorted by greatest OPS+: (100 = league average)

OPS+  GAMES

1. 117 1254 Robin Ventura

2. 115 976 Bill Melton

3. 114 329 Eric Solderholm

4. 101 201 Herbert Perry

5. 93 798 Joe Crede

6. 90 410 Vance Law

7. 85 196 Josh Fields

f***ing right, dude.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=1999773:date=Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 PM:name=whitesoxfan101)-->
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
<!--quotec-->That's not a very good statement about the 3rd basemen we've had in your time as a fan (and I know you have been a Sox fan for quite a while).

It's definitely an indictment on the team's inability to fill the 3B position with a competent everyday player.

Playing for the Sox from 1965 to 2009, played 70% of games at 3B, requiring at least 100 G, sorted by greatest OPS+: (100 = league average)

OPS+  GAMES

1. 117 1254 Robin Ventura

2. 115 976 Bill Melton

3. 114 329 Eric Solderholm

4. 101 201 Herbert Perry

5. 93 798 Joe Crede

6. 90 410 Vance Law

7. 85 196 Josh Fields

hence the book, "Who's On Third?" a history of the White Sox by looking at who played third (first Sox book I ever read) link

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Wow, just wow.

He didn't hit too many pop ups when it counted in 2005.

My god.

Just because a player played well in the 2005 post-season doesn't magically morph them into some demi-god of baseball. Crede was a below-average offensive 3rd baseman with a plus glove. Was he a good player for us? Yes. Stop treating him like he's Pujols or something, people.

QUOTE (League @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 06:28 AM)
Just because a player played well in the 2005 post-season doesn't magically morph them into some demi-god of baseball. Crede was a below-average offensive 3rd baseman with a plus glove. Was he a good player for us? Yes. Stop treating him like he's Pujols or something, people.

I don't think the two of you have been properly introduced yet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
The other part of his schtick was fielding awesomely and getting clutch hits. I thought the statue idea of him popping up was rude.

Why is it rude, Joe pops up a lot. A guy on the site had the name credepopsitup for a reason.

Maybe if the statue had a small first aid box in the base it would be more appropriate....

Why is it rude, Joe pops up a lot. A guy on the site had the name credepopsitup for a reason.

Maybe if the statue had a small first aid box in the base it would be more appropriate....

Wow. It's not like he isn't a tough player. Have you known anybody with back problems? There's no way you can play baseball effectively with back problems. None. His ass of an agent was stupid getting him a deal with a team that plays on turf. This was a year he should have signed with a team that plays on grass, any team that plays on grass.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
Wow. It's not like he isn't a tough player. Have you known anybody with back problems? There's no way you can play baseball effectively with back problems. None. His ass of an agent was stupid getting him a deal with a team that plays on turf. This was a year he should have signed with a team that plays on grass, any team that plays on grass.

The grass didnt protect his back any more while he was with the white sox, it wasnt going to make a difference now.