**Official Phillies vs. Yankees Thread**

knightni

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedro and Cliff Lee have been terrific in this series but it amazes me how much the Yankees have expanded their strike zone in these first two games. They look like the White Sox right now, taking fast balls right down the pipe and then swinging at breaking balls outside of the zone.

Now obviously the pitching has a lot to do with that but that isn't typical for this Yankees lineup. And as I type this Matsui hits a Yankee stadium HR and the Yanks lead 2-1.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Another missed call by the umpires but at least that was close. It is time for instant replay in baseball. Although I'm not sure how replay would handle those types of plays since how the defense continues the play is determined by the initial call.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
I thought Utley was safe and the replay confirmed it,I know it was a bang bang play but aren't these suppossed to be MLB's finest umps?

Like one poster said a while back, it seems like every call always goes to the Yankees. It's been like that for years in the postseason.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
Like one poster said a while back, it seems like every call always goes to the Yankees. It's been like that for years in the postseason.

Meh the Yankees had a call against them tonight that might have cost them runs. That line drive definitely wasn't caught by Howard.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
He's hitting .114 in the playoffs with 12 strikeouts. He actually said he was shocked he was sat down. Maybe the Yankees need a new hitting coach.

Hmmm.. I guess 10 postseason games counts into the .249/.371/.498/.869 he put up during the season eh.. He's just not clutch. I'm sure A-Rod can give him some pointers some time.

He actually said he was shocked he was sat down

Did he really say that in the media? Unwritten rule: Players NEVER b**** during the postseason unless they are named Reggie or George Bell.

You shut the f*** up and try to contribute to a WS title. Where did Swish b****? NY Post or ?

If he complained he should be booed out of town.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)
Did he really say that in the media? Unwritten rule: Players NEVER b**** during the postseason unless they are named Reggie or George Bell.

You shut the f*** up and try to contribute to a WS title. Where did Swish b****? NY Post or ?

If he complained he should be booed out of town.

LMAO what? Why does George Bell get the right to b**** during the postseason?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
Hmmm.. I guess 10 postseason games counts into the .249/.371/.498/.869 he put up during the season eh.. He's just not clutch. I'm sure A-Rod can give him some pointers some time.

I realize the OPS and OBP are nice, but when push comes to shove and it matters, a good pitcher will get Swisher out damn near all of the time because of the serious flaws in Swisher's swing/game.

Swisher was a solid back of the order hitter though, I'll say that much, but to put that sort of guy in the middle of your order, youd' be screwed (OPS isn't an end all be all).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Phillies going with a 4 man rotation and Blanton to start game 4. That means Lee only will start in game 5 and won't be available for more than a few innings if it goes 7. Huge advantage to the Yankees.

I haven't the slightest clue as to why they would do this. Maybe they think they have a chance to beat Sabbathia in game 4 even with Blanton pitching, then think they have a big edge in game 5 against Burnett with Lee?