AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sockin @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Nothing really new here but Peavy wants A-Gon on the Sox and has already expressed this to Kenny.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1298528...aking-own-pitch

This could be kind of new, at least for some people:

"That's really what we need, a big left-handed hitter," one Sox person said. "They're saying Kenny would give anything to get him, maybe even [Gordon] Beckham."

Kenny's not giving up Gordon, but it sure puts a lot of doubt into the talk about Hudson + D2 + Flowers being enough for the Padres with Kenny as the hesitant one. That never made sense to me anyway. Besides, if Kenny was close to getting Halladay then he was already cool with shipping Hudson and Flowers out the door, and there's no way D2 is a deal-breaker for Adrian Gonzalez as long as Kenny's in charge.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 04:43 AM)
MLBTradeRumors is trying to spin this into a story.

Sorry guys, but Beckham isn't gonna be traded. He's the one player on this team, that if traded, would enrage the fan base, even if it were for A-Gon.

Ya, we've touched on this before, but there aren't a ton of guys I'd trade Beckham for.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 03:48 AM)
Ya, we've touched on this before, but there aren't a ton of guys I'd trade Beckham for.

Unless Albert Pujols is the return, there would be nothing but anger from Sox fans.

Tim Lincecum? "Why do we need another pitcher!"

Chase Utley? "Gordon would become him anyway! Too old!"

Prince Fielder? "How did the last fatso turn out?!"

Ryan Howard? "He K's more in a season than all of Nellie Fox's career!"

etc.

MLBTradeRumors is trying to spin this into a story.

Sorry guys, but Beckham isn't gonna be traded. He's the one player on this team, that if traded, would enrage the fan base, even if it were for A-Gon.

I actually pulled the last link that revived this thread from MLBTraderumors. But yeah I can't see KW centering a package of prospects around Beckham. Just can't see it. If starting pitching is the main part of the package I have struggled to wonder if dangling JDanks instead of Hudson cold work, but it messes up our lefty/righty balance that we have right now. I think I have also read some posts lately where JDanks might consider an extension at the end of this year. Not sure on that but I thnk if Morel/Flowers rake then they become 2 attractive pieces come July.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
I wonder if a bad spring from Jones and Kostay would be enough to get KW to relent and put Hudson in the deal for A-Gone.

I totally agree with this. I think KW will trade any prospect at this point, but doesn't want to part with Hudson if he can avoid it.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:03 AM)
I totally agree with this. I think KW will trade any prospect at this point, but doesn't want to part with Hudson if he can avoid it.

I doubt KW really wants to give up any of his top prospects, but he's not going to miss out on Adrian Gonzalez because he doesn't want to part with Jordan Danks, or Tyler Flowers or Dan Hudson. Gordon Beckham, I hope that's a deal breaker, but everyone else.............enjoy SD.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
I doubt KW really wants to give up any of his top prospects, but he's not going to miss out on Adrian Gonzalez because he doesn't want to part with Jordan Danks, or Tyler Flowers or Dan Hudson. Gordon Beckham, I hope that's a deal breaker, but everyone else.............enjoy SD.

It depends on what his scouts have told him. If they're unanimously saying that in 2012, Hudson it in your 2nd starter spot...that's a hugely useful piece. I wouldn't deal that for AGon unless I expected a big revenue boost before then, and we've already won our world series to get that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:44 AM)
It depends on what his scouts have told him. If they're unanimously saying that in 2012, Hudson it in your 2nd starter spot...that's a hugely useful piece. I wouldn't deal that for AGon unless I expected a big revenue boost before then, and we've already won our world series to get that.

If we somehow get AGon during the 2010 season w/o giving up Beckham. . I'd say we would officially be the best team on paper for the next 1.5 seasons. . this would also give us a GREAT chance at winning another title. Maybe even go back-to-back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:44 AM)

If KW didn't trade for Gonzalez and it was because Dan Hudson was the sticking piece, he would need to be replaced. When you are as offensively challenged and seemingly always monetarily handcuffed like the White Sox, you don't stop a trade for a 40 homer .400 OBP GG firstbaseman making $5 million a year because a guy might be a #2 starter in a few years. Gonzalez only will make $5 million a year the next 2 seasons. It would make the White Sox far and away the best team on paper and probably on the field in the AL Central.

Far greater prospects than Dan Hudson have been traded for far less than the entire package Gonzalez brings, and a good portion of those have been busts. Maybe Hudson is a #2 starter in 2012, but its not like he's the right handed Sandy Koufax. KW would trade him in a heartbeat and not even think twice about it.

Edited by Dick Allen

This Beckham trade talk is laughable. He could possibly be the most marketable player the Sox have ever had. Ever.

Gonzalez is probably going to hit more homers and drive in more runs, but Beckham is going to be a national star, not just a White Sox star. He's going to be the face of the franchise for the next decade or more. You don't trade guys like that without it coming back to bite you on the ass. And Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf know this.

If KW didn't trade for Gonzalez and it was because Dan Hudson was the sticking piece, he would need to be replaced. When you are as offensively challenged and seemingly always monetarily handcuffed like the White Sox, you don't stop a trade for a 40 homer .400 OBP GG firstbaseman making $5 million a year because a guy might be a #2 starter in a few years. Gonzalez only will make $5 million a year the next 2 seasons. It would make the White Sox far and away the best team on paper and probably on the field in the AL Central.

Far greater prospects than Dan Hudson have been traded for far less than the entire package Gonzalez brings, and a good portion of those have been busts. Maybe Hudson is a #2 starter in 2012, but its not like he's the right handed Sandy Koufax. KW would trade him in a heartbeat and not even think twice about it.

I agree 100% DA, I think the sticking point for the Pads might be the size of the haul they want back for a possibly 1.5 years of AGon. It could be 3-4 AAA prospects plus 1-2 A/AA to satisfy their demands, but who knows really. I really expect KW to at least try based on the news he tried to pry Halladay away from the BJays. Especially when this DH committee starts to run out of gas real quick.

This Beckham trade talk is laughable. He could possibly be the most marketable player the Sox have ever had. Ever.

Gonzalez is probably going to hit more homers and drive in more runs, but Beckham is going to be a national star, not just a White Sox star. He's going to be the face of the franchise for the next decade or more. You don't trade guys like that without it coming back to bite you on the ass. And Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf know this.

I think what happens Flav is that the hype machines for a lot of these newspapers and web portals go into overdrive based on some rumor somebody heard that is un-substantiated. But most of the rumors seem to agree it will be a matter of when not if AGon is traded. If you compare his next contract with Teixeira's 8/180 deal then you average about 21-21.5 mil for the 8 years. If Agon rakes this year again he is gonna likely command at least bwtween 20-25. But I am really wary of any long term contract over 5 years. Maybe whoever gets him can extend him for 4 years at about 23-24 per year.

Seems to me it would be alot cheaper sending 2 prospects, preferrably OF types like a Danks or Thompson or a Morel type guy to Washington for Adam Dunn for the year rental. We can afford to lose OF depth as I see it and we would hold on to Flowers and Hudson still who I see as major contributors by 2011.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
Seems to me it would be alot cheaper sending 2 prospects, preferrably OF types like a Danks or Thompson or a Morel type guy to Washington for Adam Dunn for the year rental. We can afford to lose OF depth as I see it and we would hold on to Flowers and Hudson still who I see as major contributors by 2011.

Dunn is going to make 12 million this year. Not happening.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)

Well.... IF the Sox and Padres got into negotations on a trade, AND they were asking for just our prospects and we had to give them Hudson or no deal would take place, then of course I think KW needs to pull the trigger. I personally just want to see Hudson on the southside. I followed his games as best I could while he was in the minors, and I watched every time he pitched last Sept. I really think he has potential to be a great SP because he generally has command on his pitches (though he walked a lot more statistically in his few major league appearances last year than his minor league (seemed way out of the norm, possibly could have been nerves)), and hitters seem to not put good "bat" on his pitches. I'd have to do some research from scouts to know for sure, but to my eyes his ball has a good amount of movement. If I remember right he does have a high AO/GO ratio, but a lot of his AOs are weak pop ops.

Nonetheless, this forum is all about Gonzo. He definitely would fit perfectly on the Sox. I wonder if the two teams have talked about any trade yet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Dunn is going to make 12 million this year. Not happening.

At the midseason that figure is really 6 million, the same exact thing we were going to pay Damon. Granted, it is for half a season, but a deal for him doesn't deplete the farm like a AGon deal. AGon will also require an extension that will cost as some are saying 20 mil per season. A Dunn extension would be for half of that amount I am sure.

Even if we got Dunn tomorrow and had to pay 12 million this year and were to lock him up on a 3 yr 30 million deal through 2013, it would be cheaper in the long run than AGon at 10 million the next 2 seasons and then 40 million for the next 2 after that. That's a savings of 10 million and a savings of Flowers, Hudson and Mitchell. So long term, I think Dunn is a better choice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
If you're not willing to give him Tex money...then he's a 1.5 year rental for you.

That's why you cannot give up Beckham. Everyone else, yes. Getting him for 2 years almost guarantees 2 White Sox playoff appearances if the team stays relatively healthy. The rental is worth the price of any and all of the White Sox current minor leaguers.