Is anyone as nervous as I am?

ozzfest

Everyone is giving me a hard time about this thread..But I realized you guys are all being just as irrational as you say that I am. This White Sox team is mediocre. And we lost Dye and Thome. Two integral pieces to our offense. Look at the phillies. Look at the yankees. Look at the Red Sox. The cardinals. the angels. the dodgers..we wouldn't be able to compete with any of these teams..the list goes on and on....you guys are forgetting what city we live in.....it's not like we live in milwaukee....we live in a major city with fans who will come to the games if you put a great team on the field. The White Sox only fill up the ballpark when they're good, or when the cubs, yanks or red sox come to town. I think it's sad to see all of you accept mediocrity. Kenny Williams is a win now guy....but he is getting way to fancy....if the world series was really the goal...would reinsdorf have said that jake peavy is our FA signing?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the 2010 Sox are already written off before Thanksgiving. Well, that will save me a lot of time over the summer. I can concentrate on doing stuff other than watching the Sox. I agree that there are some question marks in the lineup, but there are question marks every year. Now, if things look the same in late February, this thread might have a little more meaning.

I'm not nervous at all. After the disappointment of 2009 I'm not expecting a repeat of 2005. Would I like to see a WS run? Absolutely, and I think with a few more additions/subtractions it could happen. OF/DH is the biggest hole right now for offense, and a bullpen arm or two will be needed.

Not nervous now, but I might be come late February if the lineup looks the same.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
Everyone is giving me a hard time about this thread..But I realized you guys are all being just as irrational as you say that I am. This White Sox team is mediocre. And we lost Dye and Thome. Two integral pieces to our offense. Look at the phillies. Look at the yankees. Look at the Red Sox. The cardinals. the angels. the dodgers..we wouldn't be able to compete with any of these teams..the list goes on and on....you guys are forgetting what city we live in.....it's not like we live in milwaukee....we live in a major city with fans who will come to the games if you put a great team on the field. The White Sox only fill up the ballpark when they're good, or when the cubs, yanks or red sox come to town. I think it's sad to see all of you accept mediocrity. Kenny Williams is a win now guy....but he is getting way to fancy....if the world series was really the goal...would reinsdorf have said that jake peavy is our FA signing?

So who exactly is accepting mediocrity? Have you even read your own thread?

If the team looks like this come Spring Training the majority of fans will likely be upset. It's just a little hard to get the anger juices going when it's not even Thanksgiving.

your a white sox fan right? I know it says Soxtalk, but its the white, not red!

How is everyone saying "The offseason has barely begun" irrational?

I don't post much here, but I had to reply to this. How is KW getting too fancy? During the season, he makes a trade for a former Cy Young award winner in Jake Peavy. He upgrades CF from the likes of Brian Anderson/Dewayne Wise in acquring Alex Rios. Rios didn't show much offensively while here, but I'm willing to I've the guy the benefit of the doubt and see what he brings next season. Besides, as I said, he's still an upgrade over what we ran out there the last few seasons. The jury is still out on Teahen, but signing Omar Vizquel and re-signing Kotsay are big moves IMO as far as leadership and bench play go, which were both sorely lacking last season. With Vizquel, the infield defense has been upgraded, while providing as a mentor for both Alexei and Gordon. How is that being fancy? The team still has some holes, but it is Nov. 23rd. The Winter Meetings haven't even happened yet. I think I'd wait until Spring Training before predicting doom and gloom for this team.

Point blank is we dont know what the team's going to look like.

If your point is as simple as --as we stand right now we're a bad offense-- then yes we'd all agree.

But you are saying that we're probably going to make no additional moves. There's just zero evidence to back that up. It is your hunch.

We even have KW saying he foresees a move happening later in the offseason for a DH. Thats more than he usually says, even

Edited by Princess Dye

One of the earliest big time offseason trades you're ever going to see:

November 25, 2005: Jim Thome traded by the Philadelphia Phillies with cash to the Chicago White Sox for a player to be named later, Daniel Haigwood (minors) and Aaron Rowand. The Chicago White Sox sent Gio Gonzalez (December 8, 2005) to the Philadelphia Phillies to complete the trade.

Today's date: November 23rd. December 1st is the arbitration deadline, Dec. 7-10th is the Winter Meetings, Dec. 12th is the non-tender deadline (this is when you'll start to see some deals get done). I mean, at least give it a few weeks.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
One of the earliest big time offseason trades you're ever going to see:

November 25, 2005: Jim Thome traded by the Philadelphia Phillies with cash to the Chicago White Sox for a player to be named later, Daniel Haigwood (minors) and Aaron Rowand. The Chicago White Sox sent Gio Gonzalez (December 8, 2005) to the Philadelphia Phillies to complete the trade.

Today's date: November 23rd. December 1st is the arbitration deadline, Dec. 7-10th is the Winter Meetings, Dec. 12th is the non-tender deadline (this is when you'll start to see some deals get done). I mean, at least give it a few weeks.

I'll never forget when I first learned of the Thome trade on the radio. You hear the word 'shocked' all the time. But I can honestly say I was in complete and utter shock when I first heard.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
I'll never forget when I first learned of the Thome trade on the radio. You hear the word 'shocked' all the time. But I can honestly say I was in complete and utter shock when I first heard.

Really? I mean, I was completely overjoyed but I don't think shocked is the word I'd use personally as the Thome was one of the few trades that was rumored for a while.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Really? I mean, I was completely overjoyed but I don't think shocked is the word I'd use personally as the Thome was one of the few trades that was rumored for a while.

Rowand getting traded was what shocked me. I just didn't even see it as a possibility that KW would deal him. Obviously, I've learned over time that KW would sell out his own family if it meant making the team better.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Rowand getting traded was what shocked me. I just didn't even see it as a possibility that KW would deal him. Obviously, I've learned over time that KW would sell out his own family if it meant making the team better.

lol, fair enough.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)

I remember punching a door after hearing Rowand's name in the report, I was so pissed that they would let him go. It took me about an hour to come to my senses and appreciate the trade.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
you guys are right. permission to delete thread.

You got 3 pages with this thread. To me.. anytime you get 2+ pages (minus an article or blog), that means it was a pretty damn good one.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I remember punching a door after hearing Rowand's name in the report, I was so pissed that they would let him go. It only took me about an hour to come to my senses and appreciate the trade.

No doubt. After the initial shock I was floored that we landed a player of Thome's caliber. I also bought into the Brian Anderson hype (big mistake). And we still had Chris Young at the time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
I remember the days when fathom was BY FAR the most pessimistic member on the board. Over the last 2-3 years, I don't even think he's in the top 10.

i was thinking the same thing when I started reading this thread. :notworthy

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
I just don't see a playoff contender with this lineup at all this year. The only thing I am looking forward to this year is our starting rotation....I think our starting pitching is potentially the best in the bigs.

I know people are going to tell me that Kenny isn't close to being done or that I'm jumping the gun, but I really believe that what you see right now is what your going to have opening day. Let's simply go around the horn and talk about our starters.

C-AJP-----Love AJ but cant throw anyone out.

1B-PK-----Solid power numbers every year, but getting older and very overpaid.

2B-GB---Kenny over managed this situation and should have left him at third, he was playing great. Kalapse thinks he's not going to have a sophomore slump so....that's that.

SS-Alexei- I love his potential, but I think this guy is a bonehead. He is asleep at the wheel at short. Can't hit a curveball.

3B-Teahen-One word- Mediocrity.

OF-Rios-Who knows?

OF-Quentin- If he can stay healthy he can carry the offense as we witnessed two years ago....but that's a big if

OF-FA signing or trade-----feel free to throw around ideas for this one...no idea what were going to do.

Can anyone explain to me how this lineup can possibly win anything past our division?

If only Obama put the White Sox as part of the bailout .......

Im probably the least nervous person on here, I see A LOT of people over reacting here. This could be due to the fact that im a really optimistic lad but even with what we have now I think we could go deep into the playoffs....I bolded that last sentence because if you believe we can win our division then 1. youre not as nervous as you think 2. you need to realize if we do win our division and make the playoffs pitching wins championships and were gonna be able to go in the 4 deep hell id even go in 5 deep with big game freddy and your going to be going up against teams who either A. dont have the depth we have at sp and theyre gonna have to throw out some middle of the rotation guy against john danks or gavin floyd who are top of the rotation arms or/and B. theyre gonna have to throw out there studs on short rest while we are throwin out a rested horse. If we make it to the playoffs(i obviously think we are) Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks are gonna push this team deep. That goes for the regular season as well sure there might be a ton of low scoring 1-0 wins but a W is a W.

Now let me get into the offense which while i think the pitching staff is gonna be what carries us our offense even as is has the ability to surprise(i dont think it should be a surprise but they way i hear you guys talkin on here its gonna surprise you) you guys.

C-AJP- hes good for atleast a .280 avg 10+ homers around 50 RBI and 60 runs, a lot of teams would love that kind of production from there catcher.

1B-PK- getting 25 and 80 out of him which is around where i think he'll be is good enough to get us by with the staff we have.

2B- mmm Bacon- Just got my espn mag the other day and the kid is in there NEXT section and espn usually knows what theyre talking about i expect .280 25 homers around 40-50 doubles 80+ RBI and close to 100 runs. id love to see him moved into the 3 hole.

SS- lexi- I think he has the possibility to break out and be right around the numbers i said for gordo minus the runs and doubles. bringing in Omar is going to help a lot with his defense and i see that carrying over to the offensive side of things as well. I say he at least puts up the kind of numbers he did his rookie year (.290 21 77) if not better.

3B- Teahen- This guy is gonna shock a few people, getting out of the black hole in KC is gonna do a lot for the guy. I expect .270-.280 15HR 60-70 RBI 70-80 runs plus 30+ doubles.

OF- Rios- Did he struggle with the sox? yes. yes he did but look at his previous 3 years he had an average no less than .291 and drove in no less than 79 runs and thats including a 06 season where he only played 128 games. Its not like hes getting old or his numbers were inflated because of playing in a hitters ballpark, last i checked the cell is a little bit more hitter friendly then the dome in toronto. I expect his HR total to be up in this ballpark and i see .290 25 85.

OF- TCQ- now my mind is drawing a blank here on any other injuries besides the wrist but the wrist should be healthy and if it is we all know what he can do so i dont really need to get into him.

OF/DH -unknown- yes there is a question here but ya know what i wouldnt even have a problem with it being danks and kotsay. which i think we all know isnt going to happen well at least the kotsay part i think everyone loves him coming off the bench. Hell id be fine throwin flowers or even viciedo or morel (though id throw him at third teahen in the of and CQ at DH) out there

a lot of people overreacting here. relax were fine

QUOTE (spawn @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
I don't post much here, but I had to reply to this. How is KW getting too fancy? During the season, he makes a trade for a former Cy Young award winner in Jake Peavy. He upgrades CF from the likes of Brian Anderson/Dewayne Wise in acquring Alex Rios. Rios didn't show much offensively while here, but I'm willing to I've the guy the benefit of the doubt and see what he brings next season. Besides, as I said, he's still an upgrade over what we ran out there the last few seasons.

I think that Rios was almost a desperation move. I realize that our CF situation is somewhat unique, but paying a guy over $60M to sport a .770 OPS and play above-average defense in CF seems like a move that's going to bite us in the rear. Maybe I'm wrong (and Kenny has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt), but this seems like an uncharacteristically bad move by KW. I hope that I'm proven wrong next year.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Im probably the least nervous person on here, I see A LOT of people over reacting here. This could be due to the fact that im a really optimistic lad but even with what we have now I think we could go deep into the playoffs....I bolded that last sentence because if you believe we can win our division then 1. youre not as nervous as you think 2. you need to realize if we do win our division and make the playoffs pitching wins championships and were gonna be able to go in the 4 deep hell id even go in 5 deep with big game freddy and your going to be going up against teams who either A. dont have the depth we have at sp and theyre gonna have to throw out some middle of the rotation guy against john danks or gavin floyd who are top of the rotation arms or/and B. theyre gonna have to throw out there studs on short rest while we are throwin out a rested horse. If we make it to the playoffs(i obviously think we are) Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks are gonna push this team deep. That goes for the regular season as well sure there might be a ton of low scoring 1-0 wins but a W is a W.

Now let me get into the offense which while i think the pitching staff is gonna be what carries us our offense even as is has the ability to surprise(i dont think it should be a surprise but they way i hear you guys talkin on here its gonna surprise you) you guys.

C-AJP- hes good for atleast a .280 avg 10+ homers around 50 RBI and 60 runs, a lot of teams would love that kind of production from there catcher.

1B-PK- getting 25 and 80 out of him which is around where i think he'll be is good enough to get us by with the staff we have.

2B- mmm Bacon- Just got my espn mag the other day and the kid is in there NEXT section and espn usually knows what theyre talking about i expect .280 25 homers around 40-50 doubles 80+ RBI and close to 100 runs. id love to see him moved into the 3 hole.

SS- lexi- I think he has the possibility to break out and be right around the numbers i said for gordo minus the runs and doubles. bringing in Omar is going to help a lot with his defense and i see that carrying over to the offensive side of things as well. I say he at least puts up the kind of numbers he did his rookie year (.290 21 77) if not better.

3B- Teahen- This guy is gonna shock a few people, getting out of the black hole in KC is gonna do a lot for the guy. I expect .270-.280 15HR 60-70 RBI 70-80 runs plus 30+ doubles.

OF- Rios- Did he struggle with the sox? yes. yes he did but look at his previous 3 years he had an average no less than .291 and drove in no less than 79 runs and thats including a 06 season where he only played 128 games. Its not like hes getting old or his numbers were inflated because of playing in a hitters ballpark, last i checked the cell is a little bit more hitter friendly then the dome in toronto. I expect his HR total to be up in this ballpark and i see .290 25 85.

OF- TCQ- now my mind is drawing a blank here on any other injuries besides the wrist but the wrist should be healthy and if it is we all know what he can do so i dont really need to get into him.

OF/DH -unknown- yes there is a question here but ya know what i wouldnt even have a problem with it being danks and kotsay. which i think we all know isnt going to happen well at least the kotsay part i think everyone loves him coming off the bench. Hell id be fine throwin flowers or even viciedo or morel (though id throw him at third teahen in the of and CQ at DH) out there

a lot of people overreacting here. relax were fine

excellent points.

I'm just glad somebody posted something negative about our chances of being better than .500, which right now are not good.

I was thinking that everybody has been way too optimistic of our chances just because of starting pitching.

I am hoping KW has a plan. It's obvious he wants better defense with the acquisition of Omar and Rios. I agree we don't have the bats to win anything of significance, even our division, but hey, the offseason hopefully has just begun for KW.

I think right now was are at best six or seven games over .500 and at worst six or seven under again. That's if we start the season today.