Sox sign Putz

marsh

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
It's interesting how many guys we have that have something to prove next year.

Putz is coming off surgery on his throwing arm. Yikes. But the Sox have medical experts and must know what they are doing.

As fans we can only hope for the best but wouldn't we be expecting a lot to see him pitch before June after surgery??

He's another very tall pitcher. Has he had control problems?

GO SOX!

Kenny indicated he's 100%. He's already been throwing off the mound for teams. Barring any set-backs, he'll be ready to rock and roll right when training camp starts.

How effective he is and whether the injuries hinder him or come back could possibly happen though.

By this logic, are all beat reporters good?

I guess not.

I don't live there and see him on TV or hear him on radio. I just read it.

He gives us stories and lots of them and stuff to talk about.

I don't understand the problem, but that's just me.

I like the guy at the Trib as well. From afar it does seem the Cowley fellow churns out a bit more all year round. Of course the Trib writer is probably taking a well deserved vacation after a long season. Those guys get vacation time built up, too, I bet.

It just seems so personal; that people hate this Cowley for some reason. And a few of you have pointed out the reasons of which I thank you.

No love for Kwanzaa?! Go to hell.

Oops never heard of that one. Sorry.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
I guess not.

I like the guy at the Trib as well. From afar it does seem the Cowley fellow churns out a bit more all year round. Of course the Trib writer is probably taking a well deserved vacation after a long season. Those guys get vacation time built up, too, I bet.

It just seems so personal; that people hate this Cowley for some reason. And a few of you have pointed out the reasons of which I thank you.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/soxnet/200...ys-attacks.html

Read that link

Then some site called SoxNet.net - written in the basement of a trekkie turned blogger - jumps on the pile late with no sources.

Oops.

If our guys are offended by this, then I may have to change my opinion of Joe. I did not realize this was goin on.

I back the good people here over him! Justin and Mario are awesome.

Were our guys offended by this or just happy to get the mention in his twitter.

It's not like it was in the actual newspaper.

My bad if Justin et all were offended by Joe's twitters. I support the guys on here more than Joe!!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
Oops.

If our guys are offended by this, then I may have to change my opinion of Joe. I did not realize this was goin on.

My bad if Justin et all were offended by Joe's twitters. I support the guys on here more than Joe!!!

Wasnt jsut the twitter though, he blasted Soxnet on the radio too. He used print (in email form), radio, and internet to take unneeded and unfair blows to Soxnet, just to feed his ego.

If he blasted Soxnet on the radio and then after Jason talked to him if he had apologized I would have said okay, but he resorts to insults to cover that fact that he didnt have a source on it himself.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
It's interesting how many guys we have that have something to prove next year.

Putz is coming off surgery on his throwing arm. Yikes. But the Sox have medical experts and must know what they are doing.

As fans we can only hope for the best but wouldn't we be expecting a lot to see him pitch before June after surgery??

He's another very tall pitcher. Has he had control problems?

GO SOX!

From my understanding he should be ready to throw by spring training if not sooner.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
I guess not.

No love for Kwanzaa?! Go to hell.

Oops never heard of that one. Sorry.

That's because he made it personal, just like the D-bag who he is trying to replicate.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
Oops.

If there is one thing I can say about the guys who do the grunt work behind Soxtalk, it is that they do it because they like it. You don't hear people from this site trying to spam all over the place to try to get our name out there. Our guys don't call the radio shows just so that they can say Soxnet on the air. We don't seek out publicity. If we get some, great. But we are NOT media whores. We report our stuff in our network, and if anyone picks up on it, fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
That's because he made it personal, just like the D-bag who he is trying to replicate.

Be the better man and let it go. If people have something personal to take up with Joe, then I think that needs to be done somewhere other than SoxTalk. There are about 30 pages in the Adrian Gonzalez thread and about four more in this thread about what people think of Joe. If people think Joe Cowley, a beat reporter, did something that nearly prevented the White Sox from signing Putz, then they're giving him far too much credit.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Interesting that one of Putz's incentive clauses is "games finished". Looks like the writing in is on the wall for Jenks.

It would seem to me that you are correct, but then again he could be a very cheap solution as a set up guy who takes Dotel's spot and if he regains his form of 2006-7 can take Linebrink's spot. I still think Linebrink comes up big in 2010, and I like Pena better than most.

It does seem funny his salary almost doubles if he becomes a closer. It seems to me they have given him the impression he will get a shot. Who knows.

Here are the incentive clauses in Scott Linebrink's contract, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts...

award bonuses: $0.1M each for MVP, Cy Young, Rolaids, WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 for TSN All Star; $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star starter; $15,000 All Star selection

MVP? All Star starter?

Even further, Matt Guerrier was never, ever, ever, ever considered the Twins closer last year, and still "finished" 15 games. Putz's agent is looking for the most money he can get, and if Putz even becomes a setup man, it's likely he's going to "finish" quite a few games.

The finished games clause has absolutely nothing to do with Jenks. If anything, it's probably $10K per game that he finishes up until 30 games finished.