White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

I don't necessarily think he'll put up the numbers he did last year over a full season, but if he did, it would be an absolutely stellar move. I would hope we could get a .345-.350 OBP out of him, but that is probably me being greedy.

We will get a great base-runner who will hit for an average (albeit with mainly singles), but that can be a nice thing. More importantly, the club can at least shield Beckham from the leadoff spot.

Pierre might not be great, but plenty of teams have won with him at the top of the order. For the money and given the Sox options, I'm okay with this deal.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well assuming we didn't give up Hudson, we still have Huddy, Danks2, Dayan and Flowers all still around and every hole filled except that big middle of the order hitter(another lefty reliever is obviously somewhat of a hole as well), Kenny might start up the full court press for Mr. Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
I'd rather not value a guy based on batting average, let alone ignoring the fact that he played in a far inferior league. EQA of .278 with a SLG of .372.

I'm starting to think people never saw him play when he was a member of the Cubs...or you all are in love with grindy, bad players.

I watched him in Florida, where he was without a doubt a catalyst for that club. But by all means, use his one year as a Cub as your example.

And seriously, the league argument is ridiculous. So he faces much worse pitchers in the NL West? He had it so easy the past few years never having to face Webb, Haren, Lincecum, Cain, Peavy etc...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Well assuming we didn't give up Hudson, we still have Huddy, Danks2, Dayan and Flowers all still around and every hole filled except that big middle of the order hitter(another lefty reliever is obviously somewhat of a hole as well), Kenny might start up the full court press for Mr. Gonzalez.

Please be true! If we can get Gonzo, and if we don't give up PK in the process, then we can move PK to DH

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Ely was one guy I really would have liked to hold onto....kinda puts a downer on things for me...

Yeah, I hate to see Ely go as well. Very friendly guy in person, I think he has a lot of potential.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Off-Season is not over yet...

Every day there are fewer options and fewer places to put them.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
Um...? Really? You don't think it's possible for this to be the best rotation we've ever had?

It could be, but as it stands, 2005 was the best. Career years out of everyone. Certainly this one has the chance, but 2005 set a high bar.