sox close to another deal?

chisox2334

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
He needs more time in the minors.. atleast a year. His numbers aren't that great offensively down there yet.

Wut? Have you even looked at his numbers? Offensively, the only knock on Tyler is his K rate. He is a power hitter with great plate discipline and a big swing. He is going to strikeout, walk, and mash things in large numbers. I think a great comp is Mike Napoli.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler will get time in the minors, but if all goes well I could see him being up midyear. After all, if they bring back Thome we'll be pretty low on right-handed DH options. And TF's already 24. If AJP leaves next year then you're throwing this kid in cold next year with an experienced staff.

While you want a young guy to play everyday in the minors... there's also some benefit with letting him sit behind AJP, get the occasional turn at DH. You get to build up the mystery some more with his minor league eye popping numbers. The worst thing that could happen to his trade value is you start him at AAA and he has a slump to start the year.

If that happens, forget deadline deals for anything major.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
Tyler will get time in the minors, but if all goes well I could see him being up midyear. After all, if they bring back Thome we'll be pretty low on right-handed DH options. And TF's already 24. If AJP leaves next year then you're throwing this kid in cold next year with an experienced staff.

While you want a young guy to play everyday in the minors... there's also some benefit with letting him sit behind AJP, get the occasional turn at DH. You get to build up the mystery some more with his minor league eye popping numbers. The worst thing that could happen to his trade value is you start him at AAA and he has a slump to start the year.

If that happens, forget deadline deals for anything major.

Andruw Jones; CQ and PK on occasion.

According to Scott Merkin, as reported earlier, it seems like Ozzie talked KW out of adding a power bat and they will rotate the DH. I'm pretty sure KW is just waiting for this to blow up in Ozzie's face and then will add a DH midseason.

So anyone with the know, who did they plan on adding? My guess would be Milton Bradley.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 02:53 AM)
According to Scott Merkin, as reported earlier, it seems like Ozzie talked KW out of adding a power bat and they will rotate the DH. I'm pretty sure KW is just waiting for this to blow up in Ozzie's face and then will add a DH midseason.

This gets dumber by the day

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 02:53 AM)

So anyone with the know, who did they plan on adding? My guess would be Milton Bradley.

It would almost be worth losing 100 games next year just so we could get Ozzie out of here.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)

I don't believe a word of this. Not saying you're making it up. But it doesn't make a shred of sense.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 03:53 AM)

There's no way KW would be willing to lose that many games in order to make a point to Ozzie. Not gonna happen. They'll bring in another bat before the start of the season.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
There's no way KW would be willing to lose that many games in order to make a point to Ozzie. Not gonna happen. They'll bring in another bat before the start of the season.

KW stressed at the beginning of the offseason about the need of a big OBP lefty bat for the middle of the lineup. All of a sudden- we don't need that? I'm pretty sure KW is not done regardless of what Ozzie says. Ozzie always plays his bench. If you look at it:

Andruw Jones- will get pleanty of playing time as the 4th OF. Plus he is the Carlos Quentin insurance policy- we all know the dude gets hurt every year.

Mark Kotsay- he will get his share of pinch hits as well as give PK his day off here and there.

Omar Vizquel- Will likely end most games in the infield as well as pinch run. No worries there.

Jason Nix- Most likely the odd man out.

Backup catcher??

Ozzie always finds a way to plug in his bench. The rotating DH is unesseccary. This team lacks Left handed power and it needs to be addressed.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 04:44 AM)
Hmm... KW wants a lefty bat but has no money left.. I see Milton Bradley + 18million for Nix and a low level prospect... wouldn't that be a hated team by non sox and some sox fans.(Milton, AJP, Ozzie, Andruw Jones, Pierre)

It'd be a great deal if we could send them Linebrink for Bradley.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
Hmm... KW wants a lefty bat but has no money left.. I see Milton Bradley + 18million for Nix and a low level prospect... wouldn't that be a hated team by non sox and some sox fans.(Milton, AJP, Ozzie, Andruw Jones, Pierre)

I really hope KW wouldn't be desperate enough to bring that cancer to this team....

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
It'd be a great deal if we could send them Linebrink for Bradley.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Bradley but I think Linebrink for Bradley and lots of cash would be a good deal. I'd hope Bradley would bust his ass and have a great season to show the Cubs how much he hates them and how dumb Hendry is.

But honestly I could see him and Ozzie getting in a fist fight.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
It sure could. Ozzie just has to realize the risk of getting caught with the pitcher DH'ing is incredibly minimal.

How many games in his White Sox career has AJ left in the middle of the game because of injury or being ejected?

Well of course they could do it, they could put Jermaine Dye at shortstop in a pinch if they had to. Ozzie would not send his only backup catcher out to DH on a regular basis and I think you know that.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Well of course they could do it, they could put Jermaine Dye at shortstop in a pinch if they had to. Ozzie would not send his only backup catcher out to DH on a regular basis and I think you know that.

He does know that, but like him, I think its a fear that is not worth considering. The risk level is insanely low, and the worst case scenario is that the pitcher's slot hits for part of one game, which would be PH'd for later anyway. So you're talking a couple at-bats, maybe, at worst, from a P. That risk is not worth factoring into this decision, IMO.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)

I would bet we add another player before the end of the month.