"Chicago Things" you don't like/do

Cali

I don't like it when people take pictures at the Millenium Park Bean.

I do like it when people are loud in the stands at USCF. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen all too often.

I do love singing the Bears theme song.

I hate the wave at sporting events.

I love deep dish pizza and chicago style hot dogs.

Anything outside of I-88 towards DeKalb is corn and anything south of I-80 is southern Illinois. Bloomington and Peoria f*** up my argument that Chicago is the only major city in IL.

Edited by The Beast

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
As far as saving parking spots goes, you guys do realize that a lot of times people come and clear them for their elderly parents/grandparents/friends/neighbors right?

I thought old people stay inside when it gets really snowy and cold. Are you saying all those saved spots are elderly people trolling about in the snow? I am sure there are some but doubtful it is any significant percentage.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
I thought old people stay inside when it gets really snowy and cold. Are you saying all those saved spots are elderly people trolling about in the snow? I am sure there are some but doubtful it is any significant percentage.

Yeah, elderly people shouldn't be driving in perfect driving conditions, let alone winter driving conditions.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
The street is in no way your property. Get over it and find a new spot. It's not yours in the first place. Reminds me a lot of someone being childish and saying ''seat save''. Sit somewhere else you god damn cry baby, it won't harm you any.

I'm gonna guess you have no respect for shotgun protocol on road trips...

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
I'm gonna guess you have no respect for shotgun protocol on road trips...

I agree about the parking spot saving being wrong, but I am a supporter of the shotgun call for the front seat. First one to call shotgun outside gets the front. But I would disagree with putting an item in the front seat to save it as theirs until the next time they rode in the car.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
The street is in no way your property. Get over it and find a new spot. It's not yours in the first place. Reminds me a lot of someone being childish and saying ''seat save''. Sit somewhere else you god damn cry baby, it won't harm you any.

I grew up far enough south in the city to have a garage and driveway, so this wasn't ever an issue to me until I got married and moved into an apartment and had street parking. I had a neighbor who always parked directly in front of his house, unless it snowed. Then he would park in a spot that someone else cleared. The spot in front of his house could be available if he shoveled it out, but he wouldn't do it. This is the type of guy who causes the fights and need for lawn chairs, etc.

Not quite on topic, but I was wondering a few days ago how people pronounce "Chicago." I hear Chi-caah-go and Chi-caw-go from different people. I'm a Chi-cah-go guy, myself.

Also not a fan of deep dish. I can eat it, but I never even tried it until I was 19 or so.

I prefer 16in.

That's what she said.

And, I'm offended that anyone would care how I prepare my hotdog. Mom made it with ketchup. Good enough for me.

There’s not much that I miss about Chicago except the proximity of my house to Comiskey (this coming from a guy who was born and raised in the South side of Chicago). I go back there and notice how everyone is in such a hurry to get to places and how there’s really not much privacy in anyone’s lives. I could stick my arm out of my old bedroom and I would literally have it in my neighbor’s side of the bed. You have a family barbecue in the backyard and then out of nowhere the whole neighborhood appears or they would have their own. It was a blast though when you only had to bring out the lawn mower for five minute’s and be able to walk on a sidewalk, and of course the occasional block parties that were held in the summer time.

I say "Chi-caw-go"

Also, I hate the Chicago Tribune. But I love the Sun-Times.

I like deep-dish pizza if it's like Gino's East.

The only thing I like on my hotdogs is chili and cheese. I hate "chicago-style" hotdogs, and I hate ketchup, but I sometimes add ketchup anyway.

I put mayo and bbq sauce on my hamburgers. I never put ketchup or mustard on my hamburgers.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
I grew up far enough south in the city to have a garage and driveway, so this wasn't ever an issue to me until I got married and moved into an apartment and had street parking. I had a neighbor who always parked directly in front of his house, unless it snowed. Then he would park in a spot that someone else cleared. The spot in front of his house could be available if he shoveled it out, but he wouldn't do it. This is the type of guy who causes the fights and need for lawn chairs, etc.

Not quite on topic, but I was wondering a few days ago how people pronounce "Chicago." I hear Chi-caah-go and Chi-caw-go from different people. I'm a Chi-cah-go guy, myself.

Also not a fan of deep dish. I can eat it, but I never even tried it until I was 19 or so.

I prefer 16in.

That's what she said.

And, I'm offended that anyone would care how I prepare my hotdog. Mom made it with ketchup. Good enough for me.

When I went to Florida State for school, I was told that I didn't have a Chicago accent...except when I said one thing..."Chi-cahh-go"

By the way, most of you are lames...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
I don't like Deep Dish, I prefer the thinner crust.

I prefer regular softball to 16", it's like playing baseball with a basketball.

I like ketchup on my hot dogs, now, and when I lived there I liked it.

I have to agree with all this also. Not to mention I talk my Chicago slang (of course "Joe" which means "Yo" is notorious here) not to mention the word Chi-Cah-Go I also say, not to mention you know what was invented here (you know what "Bin Laden" means here for my pot heads. :P not to mention the "dip spots")

I guess I like to say "not to mention" alot in this post too. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I don't acknowledge the whole chair/cone thing with parking spaces cleared of snow. Its a public street, I'm taking the spot if its there.

you evil bastard. When I was little my dad and I shoveled out a spot in front of our house. Then we ran to the store to get some more ice for the sidewalks and our neighbor had parked his car in our spot when we got home. Im not talking downtown streets where there is no parking. There was tons of parking when I used to live and everyone had driveways. Well he parked in our clean spot instead of in front of his own house. My dad pushed his car with our car in to the middle of the street and left it there.

I agree with people saving their spots 100%.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
why do you need ice for the sidewalk.

Yeah, I'd figure you's go buy salt to melt away the ice, but maybe you did things differently in your neighborhood. :)

Always enjoyed good deep dish and stuffed pizza in Chicago, but that in no way implies that it can touch good Chicago thin crust — easily the Chi-caahh-go food I miss the most.

Growing up I never even knew there was any kind of softball other than 16", so I definitely have a soft place in my heart for 16". Not those rock-hard Clinchers with the zigzag stitching, mind you, those other ones (Top Notch??) that get soft and mushy after a few games.

Ciacago-style Vienna Beef hotdogs are a culinary high water mark of Western Civilization and ketchup doesn't belong anywhere near a hotdog if you are more than 8 years old. I don't particularly care what the unwashed masses put on their hotdogs — it's enough for me that I know better. :D