Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 8, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
So let's say you get a new job somewhere. Are you that comfortable in meetings that you'd keep pulling out your phone to check notifications and the time? It's a different story if you've been somewhere a while and you know everyone in the meetings.

Depends on the corporate culture. I wouldn't be the first guy to check my phone unless I was the boss or something.

Just responding to the "I can do whatever I want at work so that means everyone else should too" vibe in here. Trying to make the case that a smart watch could be more useful to a lot of people even though that may not be the case for some individuals in this thread.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
Just read an article about the Samsung smartwatch. Am I the only one who thinks this is the dumbest f***ing idea ever? Other than a select few hipsters, who is buying this thing? Who needs ANOTHER smart device on their person? I don't get it at all.

When it replaces my phone, it will be a huge hit. Why have a huge phone in your pocket when you can have a sleek watch on your wrist? It needs to be paired with some form of screen and in-ear wireless bud. I'll take it a step further, I'm hoping to be alive when you insert a small device in your ear, slip on glasses, and that's all you need.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 8, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
Just responding to the "I can do whatever I want at work so that means everyone else should too" vibe in here. Trying to make the case that a smart watch could be more useful to a lot of people even though that may not be the case for some individuals in this thread.

I still find it disrespectful and don't, even when I'm the one leading the meetings (which is most of the time). The only time I do is when It is on calls where I'm not leading the meetings. Thats just me though. Most of the time I'm in meetings with clients though (vs. internal people) but it blows my mind how even in those settings a ton of people on my side (serving the client) pull out the phone and on a couple occasions we've taken people off of our account because of their ignorant behavior in meetings.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:36 PM)
So I just picked up a new 50'inch Panasonic Plasma (Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST60 600hz). So far the TV looks great, but I am having some issues with the PS3. There just seems to be a real "fuzzy-ness" with the games I play, just not crisp and the color seems to vary from game to game as well. I've heard it can start to clear up after around 100 hours with the TV on, but want to see if I'm missing anything.

Anyone have any experience with that?

Check for firmware updates to your plasma.

I bought a new Samsung 60" this year, and it had ghosting effects when I played games or watched sports, but a firmware update fixed it. That fuzzy ness you're seeing is ghosting, the images are moving too fast for the pixels to update. That can usually be corrected with firmware, or some sort of software update.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
Apple's new A7 chip is impressive. They beat out everyone else to make a 64 bit ARM chip.

Until apps update to use the new registers of the 64bit architecture, it's mostly future proofing the OS. A lot of people erroneously think the only thing 64bit is for, is accessing > 4GB of memory, which is incorrect. You'll probably see a lot of this argument across the Internet right now from the fan boys/anti-fan boys.

The 5s is mostly spec bumps across the device (which was expected), and the fingerprint scanner, which is somewhat cool (IF it's accurate). I've used some of these fingerprint scanners in the past and holy crap they sucked.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Until apps update to use the new registers of the 64bit architecture, it's mostly future proofing the OS. A lot of people erroneously think the only thing 64bit is for, is accessing > 4GB of memory, which is incorrect. You'll probably see a lot of this argument across the Internet right now from the fan boys/anti-fan boys.

The 5s is mostly spec bumps across the device (which was expected), and the fingerprint scanner, which is somewhat cool (IF it's accurate). I've used some of these fingerprint scanners in the past and holy crap they sucked.

What's the point of the fingerprint scanner? Just a "cool" way for 2nd factor authentication?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
What's the point of the fingerprint scanner? Just a "cool" way for 2nd factor authentication?

It unlocks your phone, enables you to scan your finger to pay for iTunes stuff (instead of typing in passwords), and other apps can use it for similar purposes, but supposedly, the data is encrypted phone side and cannot be uploaded/downloaded off the phone, for the paranoid.

Being that I've been fingerprinted, the NSA already has mine. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)

I still don't know why Apple didn't put 2GB in the 5S. iOS 7 will be more memory intensive than previous iOS versions since the way it does multi-tasking is now different and more complete.

But yeah, 64 bit is more than just an increase of the address space. AArch64 has 31 general purpose registers, as opposed to the 8 you get in the A32 architecture. There's probably numerous other optimizations in the architecture that will make it faster as well.

All I know is I bought apple care for my 5 when I bought it last year and if it breaks in the next year and they give me one of those piece of s*** plastic 5c phones as a replacement I'm going to be furious.

Since they discontinued the 5 I imagine this is what will happen.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
I tried preordering a 5S but can't order until the 20th. I can get $300 for my 5 off Gazelle so technically can make $100.

You can sell it for more on eBay. Gazelle is for lazy people without a eBay and Paypal account.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
All I know is I bought apple care for my 5 when I bought it last year and if it breaks in the next year and they give me one of those piece of s*** plastic 5c phones as a replacement I'm going to be furious.

Since they discontinued the 5 I imagine this is what will happen.

That would be infuriating.

That case with the circled holes in it looks like Crocs. :lol:

3017158-inline-iphone5cbacks-casesprint-

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 12:13 AM)
As a college student who's TV service is provided by the apartment, that does not help me.

My parents get HBO, so I just have their account.

Same here, it's awful. Handful of basic channels I don't get, and then obviously no on demand or DVRs or anything like that.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)
Making iPhones in a "gold color" is probably the most Apple thing they could have ever done. Also, revolutionary!

This is so true, but I also kind of want one. :huh I'll have to see it in person to see if it's the color I want.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
You can sell it for more on eBay. Gazelle is for lazy people without a eBay and Paypal account.

Can you seriously sell a 5 for more than $300? I have a 32 gig 5 and if I could get that much for it Id upgrade in a second. I always assumed you took a bigger loss when reselling a cell phone.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 02:30 AM)
Can you seriously sell a 5 for more than $300? I have a 32 gig 5 and if I could get that much for it Id upgrade in a second. I always assumed you took a bigger loss when reselling a cell phone.

You'll get $250+ for a good condition iPhone5, easily. Hell, you can trade in a 4S and get 200$ for it.

It's why upgrade Apple devices is such a no brainer for me...I even do it with older iPads, you can sell them for 300-500$, and buy the newest model for 50-90$ additional.