Gordon Beckham: Player of the Decade and future HOFer

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
Personally, I think we may undervalue Beckham's power. He'll grow into it, he's still very young.

after hearing him being compared to Manny by a knowledgeable Bobby Valentine i think you may be right.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
It's amazing how overrated RBI is.

How so??? you cant win a game without driving in runs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
after hearing him being compared to Manny by a knowledgeable Bobby Valentine i think you may be right.

How so??? you cant win a game without driving in runs.

Yeah, and you can't win a game without a pitcher recording a "win", but that does not mean "wins" is a good stat for determining how good a pitcher is. He is saying RBIs are an overrated individual stat, which I agree with.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
I see him batting higher than .300; his eye is too good and he can put any outside pitch down the line. He's going to become one of the toughest outs in the league.

I see his prime years at .350 with 200+ hits, 50+ 2Bs, 30+ HRs, 100+ RBI and more walks than strikeouts. I think he's Jeter but better.

40+ SB?

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Wow! Annointing him a hall of famer at this point amazes me. I remember some talking head once saying Mark Prior would be the next 300 game winner. I hope Beckham can adjust to 2nd base, has a solid year and doesn't get caught reading his own accolades.

Hah. Skeptic. :o

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
Wow! Annointing him a hall of famer at this point amazes me. I remember some talking head once saying Mark Prior would be the next 300 game winner. I hope Beckham can adjust to 2nd base, has a solid year and doesn't get caught reading his own accolades.

Mark Prior probably would have. The injuries are something you can not really predict or blame on those who said he would be great.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Are we really doing this again? Mark Prior has never been linked to steroids. He has, however, been linked to an awful delivery and a tremendous workload.

Theres plenty of players who have never been linked to steroids that have definitely taken them. He wouldnt be the first USC baseball player to have taken steroids (and I'm not just talking about McGwire). The guys calves were twice the size of anyone elses in the league. I remember Jack McDowell called him out early in his career in a Yahoo article for seeming like a juicer.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Yeah, and you can't win a game without a pitcher recording a "win", but that does not mean "wins" is a good stat for determining how good a pitcher is. He is saying RBIs are an overrated individual stat, which I agree with.

i love it when this arguement starts each year. It really makes me feel that baseball is here.

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)

I'm not positive, but you may have broken the law of physics by using Mark Prior and Gordon Beckham in the same paragraph. I'm sure if you tried to put them in the same sentence your computer would implode.

• 3 years later...