THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Sorry, I just can't buy that. I like UZR. It's the best defensive tool we currently have. But I refuse to believe this. Adam Jones can GO GET IT.

I was as shocked as you were when I saw it. Then again.. I thought Jacoby Ellsbury was incredible in CF with all the balls he gets, his speed and the "highlight" plays he makes, but when you actually watch him more than once, you know he isn't nearly as good as portrayed.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the game and especially the team introduction really made me think about how different games will be without Nancy Faust.

Was she in attendance? I know this is off the mark but she has been the face of the frnachise entertainmentwise now for almost 4 decades. They gotta give her a tribute or a day of some kind. Have they am I retarded?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
OT, but is patrolling CF that much harder because you have more real esate to cover? I mean with LF/RF you gotta worry about those funny corner bounces, the walls and in CF it is pretty much open field except for warning track and fence/wall. Unless you have something like that ridiculous mound in the Astros park.

Pretty much. You have to have really good makeup speed as well ( even the best defenders misplay balls. Good makeup speed can alleviate those). Having a CF with speed/range is even more important in spacious parks like Safeco and AT&T Park.

By the way, Colby Rasmus and Nate McClouth, two guys I mentioned earlier, each made pretty damn good plays in CF yesterday.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
LOL. They just talked about the Sox for a couple minutes giving us love for the strong pitching, then Nomar and Bobby Valentine gave love to our hitters.....sort of...

Nomar: "With that lineup, they got Alexei and Pierre at the top. You know, Pierre is an excellent 2-hitter."

Bobby: "And Gordon Beckham is remind a lot of people of a Nomar Garciaparra. And Beckham will really bring up the bottom of that lineup"

:fight

Alexei at the top? Pierre in the 2-hole? Beckham hitting in the bottom of the lineup? I appreciate them dedicating a few minutes for this team, but wow, the boxscore alone would prove these wrong.

Also to note, Nomar gave Beckham the nickname "The silent killer"

He named him after a type of fart??? This will not stand!

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:38 AM)
Was she in attendance? I know this is off the mark but she has been the face of the frnachise entertainmentwise now for almost 4 decades. They gotta give her a tribute or a day of some kind. Have they am I retarded?

They have, and I am sure they will again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
They just did a really interesting piece on Rios on MLBN. They showed some video of this year versus last on his hand position. Apparently he has dropped his starting hand position to cut down on a lot of the excess movement in his swing.

This is just Greg Walker trying to get him to lift and pull better.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Great game. Everything went our way. We hit, ran, pitched and defended well. I'm glad to see the offense carry over from the Braves series and I hope that this is going to set the trend for the season. However, it was just the AAA Cleveland Indians.

Cleveland is no longer AAA with Sizemore, Choo, and Hafner in their lineup. Sure, no Victor Martinez now, but they outscored us by 49 runs last year.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
Watching the game and especially the team introduction really made me think about how different games will be without Nancy Faust.

I had the pleasure of meeting Nancy Faust about 10 years ago. Very nice person, and a great ambassador for the Sox.

I thought it was a fantastic Opening Day. Love the link to 2005, the most magical year in Sox history. I'm pretty sure we also beat the Indians that day, though it was 1-0, the same score as the final game of the year. And it was obviously Mark Buehrle on the mound then too.

The Buehrle play was just downright amazing and fun to watch. Web gem of the year on Opening Day.

Great to see Rios hit, and Quentin wearing the pad so he doesn't get hurt when he gets hit (twice yesterday). If Carlos stays healthy, I think he's back. Nice to see him leg out a double in the first. He couldn't run like that last year. Great to see Rios's range, too. We need it when he's flanked by Pierre and Quentin.

Beckham's baserunning was the best. Took third without a throw on a ball that almost didn't get out of the batter's box. That kid is a team leader (by example) already. He also looked pretty good at 2B. Ranged to his left and spun to make one play look easy. Has to get more used the pivot on the DP, and one throw to Alexei kept them from having another DP, but I'm sure he'll quickly improve like he did at 3B.

We know Thornton is awesome! Putz looked pretty good too. They were swinging at stuff that dropped way out of the zone. He may be the key to the pen.

Guys scored from 3rd with less than 2 outs. Kotsay, as weak as he is in the 5 hole, beat out a double-play grounder when Konerko hustled down to second to help cause an errant throw. Added a run on a hustle play.

The only guy who seemed a bit befuddled was Pierre, but he'll come around.

Sox win. Indians, Twins, and Royals lost. Still a chance to go wire-to-wire.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
I thought it was a fantastic Opening Day. Love the link to 2005, the most magical year in Sox history. I'm pretty sure we also beat the Indians that day, though it was 1-0, the same score as the final game of the year. And it was obviously Mark Buehrle on the mound then too.

The Buehrle play was just downright amazing and fun to watch. Web gem of the year on Opening Day.

Great to see Rios hit, and Quentin wearing the pad so he doesn't get hurt when he gets hit (twice yesterday). If Carlos stays healthy, I think he's back. Nice to see him leg out a double in the first. He couldn't run like that last year. Great to see Rios's range, too. We need it when he's flanked by Pierre and Quentin.

Beckham's baserunning was the best. Took third without a throw on a ball that almost didn't get out of the batter's box. That kid is a team leader (by example) already. He also looked pretty good at 2B. Ranged to his left and spun to make one play look easy. Has to get more used the pivot on the DP, and one throw to Alexei kept them from having another DP, but I'm sure he'll quickly improve like he did at 3B.

We know Thornton is awesome! Putz looked pretty good too. They were swinging at stuff that dropped way out of the zone. He may be the key to the pen.

Guys scored from 3rd with less than 2 outs. Kotsay, as weak as he is in the 5 hole, beat out a double-play grounder when Konerko hustled down to second to help cause an errant throw. Added a run on a hustle play.

The only guy who seemed a bit befuddled was Pierre, but he'll come around.

Sox win. Indians, Twins, and Royals lost. Still a chance to go wire-to-wire.

There are like 3 players in baseball who wouldn't have beat that out. You don't see a lot of double plays turned on incredibly weak choppers to second.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
One thing I noticed yesterday that I love.

We have a setup guy (Putz) and a closer (Thornton) for non-Save situations.

I was very impressed with Putz yesterday. That split-fingered fastball looked real crisp. Hopefully the FB velocity improves as the year goes on.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
One thing I noticed yesterday that I love.

We have a setup guy (Putz) and a closer (Thornton) for non-Save situations.

They won't get used that way too often. Those 2 are going to be used in close games.