The official There Is Nothing Wrong With Peavy Thread

macsandz

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
So consistently dropping, what's the reason for that?

There's a possibility they were using a different gun in SD and his numbers there were overinflated.

The only start that really seems to be an anomaly statistically is tonight's...that he's averaging below 90 with the FB and only reaching 92-93, whereas in the past he has been more in the 93-96 MPH range.

Of course, he might have been throwing more two-seamers than four seamers, or he simply has a tired/dead arm or he's struggling with something mechanically or just never felt "loose" out there.

I think we need to look at the results of three more starts (hopefully they're not in cold weather, but CLE in April doesn't seem promising). Then he'd have another start the following week back in Chicago.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
There's a possibility they were using a different gun in SD and his numbers there were overinflated.

PitchFX doesn't use radar guns to determine pitch speed, they use sensor cameras. The sensor cameras track the position of the ball several times on its way to the plate to determine the location, speed and trajectory. The sensor cameras in Petco are just as accurate as the cameras in the Rogers Centre.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
AVG     MAX   DATE

93.27 95.7 - 3/31/08

92.88 93.6 - 4/05/08

91.72 94.6 - 4/06/09

91.93 94.1 - 4/11/09

91.75 93.8 - 9/19/09

91.64 93.4 - 9/25/09

91.21 93.3 - 10/2/09

90.77 93 - 4/7/10

89.93 91.2 - today

Hmmm.. you got his velocity numbers from May-Sept. Kal in 08?

Funny thing is we got guys who aren't at their usual velocity yet either this early. Thornton has been 94-95 a couple of times touched 96 (been 96-98 last year) Santos is 94-95 (was 97-99 in winter ball and in AAA) Peavy, I believe I've seen Danks at 89-91, Putz is 92-94 comming back from surgery (was 95-98, when he was healthy) etc..

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
Hmmm.. you got his velocity numbers from May-Sept. Kal in 08?

Funny thing is we got guys who aren't at their usual velocity yet either this early. Thornton has been 94-95 a couple of times touched 96 (been 96-98 last year) Santos is 94-95 (was 97-99 in winter ball and in AAA) Peavy, I believe I've seen Danks at 89-91, Putz is 92-94 comming back from surgery (was 95-98, when he was healthy) etc..

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?pla...=P&pitch=FA

what a misleading title.

In the chat we were all talking about whether he's injured and I assumed this was them saying he was fine, instead it's just another "whaa stop being mean" thread.

It's too early to worry about him, but his stuff has been positively mediocre his first two starts. It's really not even lack of velocity either IMO, (although he is about 2 or 3 MPH off in that category it seems like) it's just lack of life/movement. Hopefully that's a byproduct of it being early in the season, and we see his typically crisp stuff return in short order. His numbers are not going to be at prime level here since he's pitching in the AL almost all of the time and at The Cell about half of it though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

This is not directed at Peavy; I like him.

Baseball as a whole, though, really blew it by giving pitchers astronomical deals. With few exceptions, most of these starters are fairly brittle and not worth the kind of jack they receive.

I won't list all the examples, but you have to admit, baseball as a business blew it by giving pitchers huge multi year deals considering how quickly some of them can fail like Zito, Meche, Lee is on the DL this year, etc.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:59 AM)
This is not directed at Peavy; I like him.

Baseball as a whole, though, really blew it by giving pitchers astronomical deals. With few exceptions, most of these starters are fairly brittle and not worth the kind of jack they receive.

I won't list all the examples, but you have to admit, baseball as a business blew it by giving pitchers huge multi year deals considering how quickly some of them can fail like Zito, Meche, Lee is on the DL this year, etc.

Barry Zito had a 2.83 era in the 2nd half last year, and threw a 6 inning shutout innings in his first start this year. So maybe we shouldn't be talking about Zito being a complete fail yet.

I didn't mean complete fail. I meant up and down years as well as the complete failures and wastes of money. I just think owners got way too greedy paying so much money for arms and it's shown up throughout the years in your ticket prices, so I hope you enjoy the starting pitching of all these guys in baseball, even the mediocre arms making 5-10 mill a year.

Again this has nothing to do with Peavy. I like his attitude and approach; hope he can get it going.

Edited by greg775

It's way too early to panic. And it's way too early to start the Peavy bashing. I imagine (and hope) that we'll see him settle down over his next few starts, and the ERA will be whittled down. If he's still pitching like last night after two more starts, then we can start worrying.

I'm not sure you should consider this "Peavy bashing", so much as a call for concern.

I'm concerned about Peavy and his sudden loss in velocity, to pretend I'm not won't help matters. I'll watch his next few starts, but soon the "It's only April" chants become, "It's only May".

I recall some of us being concerned about Jenk's velocity a few years ago -- and were told by everyone, including Jenks, "It's only April..."

Now it's April 3 years later and his velocity still hasn't returned.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
I'm not sure you should consider this "Peavy bashing", so much as a call for concern.

I'm concerned about Peavy and his sudden loss in velocity, to pretend I'm not won't help matters. I'll watch his next few starts, but soon the "It's only April" chants become, "It's only May".

I recall some of us being concerned about Jenk's velocity a few years ago -- and were told by everyone, including Jenks, "It's only April..."

Now it's April 3 years later and his velocity still hasn't returned.

But you've got to ask yourself how much that has to do with Don Cooper? It's been reported repeatedly that Coop told him to ditch the 100mph heat in exchange for better control and more movement, a strategy that worked brilliantly in '07. I'd imagine that even if he wanted to throw 100mph heat now it would take a change in his routine to get there.

I don't think this is what happened with Peavy, I'm pretty sure Coop let's a vet with a history of success do what he wants to do. I think Jake is just having mechanical issues. Just going from memory, his delivery looked different at the end of last season and before. He looked to be finishing in a more upright position last night further back from the hitter (closer to the rubber). Have his mechanics changed due to injury? I don't know, but if it's injury it looks to be a lower body injury to me as opposed to an elbow or shoulder.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)
But you've got to ask yourself how much that has to do with Don Cooper? It's been reported repeatedly that Coop told him to ditch the 100mph heat in exchange for better control and more movement, a strategy that worked brilliantly in '07. I'd imagine that even if he wanted to throw 100mph heat now it would take a change in his routine to get there.

I don't think this is what happened with Peavy, I'm pretty sure Coop let's a vet with a history of success do what he wants to do. I think Jake is just having mechanical issues. Just going from memory, his delivery looked different at the end of last season and before. He looked to be finishing in a more upright position last night further back from the hitter (closer to the rubber). Have his mechanics changed due to injury? I don't know, but if it's injury it looks to be a lower body injury to me as opposed to an elbow or shoulder.

With his injury history, he also could have been out of the game by now.

His command is gone right now. Primarily his breaking ball, which allowed a few guys to sit fastball - and when he got too much of the plate they hit him hard. His command will improve and then he'll be the Peavy we all know and love.

EDIT: WOW, judging from my avatar it's been a long time between posts for me. I assume I threw Strahan up there during the Superbowl run in 2007. Guess it's time for a change...

Edited by SoxnGiants

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)

God I would hope so.

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
His command is gone right now. Primarily his breaking ball, which allowed a few guys to sit fastball - and when he got too much of the plate they hit him hard. His command will improve and then he'll be the Peavy we all know and love.

EDIT: WOW, judging from my avatar it's been a long time between posts for me. I assume I threw Strahan up there during the Superbowl run in 2007. Guess it's time for a change...

Agree.

Plus Toronto is hitting everything right now. So If you are off against them, you are gonna get hit.

his slider was flat, his fastball was 89-90 with awful location and didnt get the movement he normally does....there might not be something wrong with him going forward, but there certainly was something wrong with him last night....hopefully it was a one start thing, but the thing that was so disappointing was that his stuff was bad