Peavy Done for Year; Marquez Up

knightni

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
You should detach one of its arms. Really.

I should have known the Peavy injury was going to happen! My Peavy bobblehead came in the mail with it's arm broken off. :lol:

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I should have known the Peavy injury was going to happen! My Peavy bobblehead came in the mail with it's arm broken off. :lol:

LOL. I love that.

From now on any Peavy bobblehead should just come with detachable arms.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
breaking news at the top of espnchicago.com......peavy out for season

Anybody suprised by that hasn't been paying attention. The Sox will be fine without him.

The Twins and Tigers are average teams at best these days.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
Anybody suprised by that hasn't been paying attention. The Sox will be fine without him.

The Twins and Tigers are average teams at best these days.

i wasn't saying it was a suprise.....it went official so i just declared it in my post

The right-hander said Friday he will have surgery on a detached right shoulder muscle on Wednesday and hopes to be throwing again by spring training early next year. He says his career isn't in jeopardy, but doctors recommended the procedure.

Yuck - he's set to start being able to throw again by spring training.

Sad panda times ten.

This is a devastating injury for Peavy. Even the doctors said there's not much precedent for a pitcher recovering from this. If he starts throwing in ST, I can't imagine him being ready until May. Going to take a long time to build up arm strength again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Can you get insurance? I can't imagine any company insuring an arm.

Pitchers' arms go all the time. That would be insane of companies to insure pitchers. This is wasted money.

i heard Lloyds of London has insured Beckham's cock for 50 million

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
What are the odds of him being better than average again?

Not good.

This was ... wasted money. It's not just Jake. It's giving pitchers these mega contracts. Very very stupid business.

Too bad he doesn't have a world series ring... That would give him the wand of immunity.

Too bad he doesn't have a world series ring... That would give him the wand of immunity.

Immunity from what? He's just another now in a long line of pitchers to get hurt and probably never be the same.

It's sad, really, but bad business for baseball to keep giving these guys mega buck deals.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
Immunity from what? He's just another now in a long line of pitchers to get hurt and probably never be the same.

It's sad, really, but bad business for baseball to keep giving these guys mega buck deals.

I don't know if they would say, but don't you think KW has an insurance policy on Peavy in case he gets a career ending injury? I'm not sure how all that business works, but pretty common in the NFL.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
What are the odds of him being better than average again?

Not good.

This was ... wasted money. It's not just Jake. It's giving pitchers these mega contracts. Very very stupid business.

My guess is that he'll come back and be the same pitcher, without the drop down pitches. I've rehabbed this injury before, although not with a pitcher and they were fine. The positive side of this injury is that it is not a stabilizer of the shoulder such as the rotator cuff or the biceps. The surgery is to reattach a tendon to bone which a lot easier than repairing a tendon like in a rotator cuff surgery or cartilage like in a labrum surgery. It's an uncommon surgery but an easier one.

I do agree giving pitchers long contracts is very risky. I would rather give them alot of money in shorter term deals.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
So was the shoulder fatigue and fluid build up that Peavy was experincing in May/June a precursor to this injury or are they completely unrelated?

I believe it's an unrelated problem. Usually the fluid is in the larger portion of the shoulder capsule and caused by inflammation of the stabilizing muscles such as the rotator cuff. The shoulder is one of the few joints in the body that really relies on muscle for stability instead of ligaments. This is why the rotator cuff is so important. When it isn't functioning properly the shoulder gets loose and can cause irritations which can produce excess inflammation or release true excess synovial fluid in the joint.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
So this potentially makes for an interesting point. If there is insurance involved here, could this mean we now have the cash to make a bigger move than we thought?

I'm sure there is some insurance involved. The amount of coverage they were able to get is the question. They couldn't get the whole contract covered but they usually have at least a portion covered.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
So this potentially makes for an interesting point. If there is insurance involved here, could this mean we now have the cash to make a bigger move than we thought?

It's interesting how on the down-low teams keep this sort of thing....because you're correct, they may be able to cash a check in the mid seven figures now to offset a good portion of his salary for the remainder of the year, and yet we will probably never hear that.

All in all though, I don't think money will hold us back this year as much as a lack of bullets to fire.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
It's interesting how on the down-low teams keep this sort of thing....because you're correct, they may be able to cash a check in the mid seven figures now to offset a good portion of his salary for the remainder of the year, and yet we will probably never hear that.

All in all though, I don't think money will hold us back this year as much as a lack of bullets to fire.

It looks like Peavy is making $15 million this year. We are pretty much at the halfway point of '10, so we have about $7.5 million left. If we get, say, $5 million back, that gives us the cash to acquire Adam Dunn, without taking on any "salary". Usually the Sox throw in extra prospects to keep get the other team to pay some salary. We could literally be keeping a Hudson or a Flowers in the system because of that insurance check. It could make a big difference. It might even allow us to make another trade by saving that prospect for another deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)

Insurance wouldn't kick in for this season, IIRC, it's only if the guy misses the entire season (ie: Joe Nathan). If he can't recover and pitch next year, then we'd get money for him.