White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
I've never heard of the other two guys. But unless they plan on making Joba a starter, that seems like a terrible deal for Arizona.

With that bullpen of theirs, who knows?

In the longterm, they should make him a starter to get he most value out of him.

Latest on Dan Haren:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5405807

The New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks were "never close" to a deal for Dan Haren on Friday, despite widespread reports that the Yankees had separated themselves from the other bidders for Haren, a source familiar with the discussions told ESPN.com.

The two teams did swap names Friday, the source said. But the Yankees rejected a Diamondbacks proposal that would have sent Joba Chamberlain, highly regarded pitching prospect Ivan Nova and two other prospects to Arizona for Haren.

The Yankees, instead, have proposed an entirely prospect-based deal, which Arizona rejected. Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told reporters in Phoenix that other teams had made offers of "at least equal value" to what the Yankees proposed.

Another sticking point between the two teams, the source said, is how much of the $33 million remaining on Haren's contract the Diamondbacks are willing to pay. Arizona's initial proposal would have required the Yankees to assume Haren's entire contract. The Yankees, and other clubs the Diamondbacks have spoken with, want the quality of the players in the deal to be dependent on how much of Haren's money Arizona is willing to pay.

The Cardinals, Phillies, Dodgers, Tigers and Twins are all known to have expressed interest in the 29-year-old Haren. However, Haren has a partial no-trade clause that would require his permission before he could be dealt to the Tigers or Twins, the source said.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 02:01 AM)
Besides Greinke's Cy Young year, he's been average at best, including this season.

I'd pass on him

6-9 with a terrible bullpen and offense with a 3.59 era 1.14 whip and 113ks and 26 walks in 133 innings is nowhere near average at best. Just because he has fallen off from him absolutely amazing season last year does not mean he's average at best and you're absolutely crazy if you think KC is looking to sell high on him.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 02:01 AM)
Besides Greinke's Cy Young year, he's been average at best, including this season.

I'd pass on him

"Pretty good" would be the best term to describe his performances in 08 and 10. He's far better than average. Wanna know who's average? Freddy Garcia.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
I have a feeling we won't make any deals.

2009 - Jake Peavy, Mark Kotsay (along with Tony Pena and Alex Rios before and after)

2008 - Ken Griffey Jr.

2007 - traded Iguchi and Mackowiak away

2006 - MacDougal, Alomar Jr, and Riske

2005 - Blum

2004 - Garcia, Contreras, Everett, and Alomar

2003 - Alomar, Everett, Schoenweis, and Sullivan

2002 - traded Durham, Lofton, Alomar Jr, and Howry

2001 - traded Baldwin (Barry/Berry fiasco)

Williams has made some sort of trade before or during the deadline every single year he's been a GM. I'd bet on the Sox making some type of addition.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
2009 - Jake Peavy, Mark Kotsay (along with Tony Pena and Alex Rios before and after)

2008 - Ken Griffey Jr.

2005 - Blum

Williams has made some sort of trade before or during the deadline every single year he's been a GM. I'd bet on the Sox making some type of addition.

2010 - obviously due for *crickets*?

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
The choice...Luke Scott or Jack Cust?

Luke Scott and it's not even close.

Brad Hawpe's name is also getting thrown out there now.

The problem here is that Hawpe is a DH and a DH only. He's no better than Quentin out in RF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)

2008 - Ken Griffey Jr.

2005 - Blum

That's a guy I completely forgot about.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)

The problem here is that Hawpe is a DH and a DH only. He's no better than Quentin out in RF.

Plus you're taking him out of Coors.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)

I can't say for certain, but I doubt Luke Scott is any better in RF either. And Scott does play at Camden Yards which is a band box in it's own right.

However, I like Scott and think he is a good natural hitter who would fit in good, and he can't be any worse than Quentin in RF (and we know he doesn't need to play the field to hit if we move him to DH).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
I can't say for certain, but I doubt Luke Scott is any better in RF either. And Scott does play at Camden Yards which is a band box in it's own right.

However, I like Scott and think he is a good natural hitter who would fit in good, and he can't be any worse than Quentin in RF (and we know he doesn't need to play the field to hit if we move him to DH).

Brad Hawpe has had a history of horribleness in the outfield.

Scott has never come close to his level of badness.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
I'd much rather platoon Scott and Jones than Kotsay and Jones.

I'd much rather see Scott get 99.9% of the playing time over Jones.

Jones is god awful with the bat now. It's all or nothing for him, and more nothing than all.