White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
Looking at the crowd tonight, I don't blame KW for trying to make a move to help the PR of this team. The excitement for the Sox in Chicago has vanished.

Judging by the crowds of the previous series... it was never really here. The fans hardly responded when they were the hottest team in baseball, let alone now.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)
Judging by the crowds of the previous series... it was never really here. The fans hardly responded when they were the hottest team in baseball, let alone now.

The outfield bleacher seats have been consistently packed though since June. Tonight, there's hardly anyone from left-center to right-center.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
The outfield bleacher seats have been consistently packed though since June. Tonight, there's hardly anyone from left-center to right-center.

No they haven't. From the 4 games I've been to since June, alot of people notice the empty seats, walk around the ballparks and they just randomly sit there. No one does anything because ain't like no one else is showing up to fill them. The ones with kids especially do this as they want to catch a HR ball. If someone comes, they literally just slide over.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
I hope an NL team claims him. As was stated earlier, this is very much the opposite of the way KW does business. It almost makes me think its strictly a PR move for the Sox hoping an NL team claims him or someone in front of them in line and then they can always say, we tried to get him. I just don't think Manny is going to earn that $4 million plus the next month. Last Sept. he hit .218. His last 1000 American League ABs his numbers aren't much better, if they are really even better, than Thome's. Maybe it will light a spark, but oft-injured 38 year olds off the juice rarely earn $4 million in a month.

Don't really know what Thome has to do with all this considering he's not on this team and Manny would be mainly be replacing the sub .700 OPS, .300 wOBA Mark Kotsay but Manny's last 1000 AL PA: .297/.392/.508/.901. Hardly an argument against acquiring him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Simple question: Am I the only one that thinks spending 4 million on Manny would be an absolute waste of money?

It depends on whether or not we're still in it in September.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Don't really know what Thome has to do with all this considering he's not on this team and Manny would be mainly be replacing the sub .700 OPS, .300 wOBA Mark Kotsay but Manny's last 1000 AL PA: .297/.392/.508/.901. Hardly an argument against acquiring him.

And those numbers were on the juice. I'm just pointing out a month of that production most likely won't be worth the $4 million plus they would have to pay him. There's a decent chance if Manny comes to the Sox, it won't go much better than Ken Griffey Jr. I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up on the DL.

Also, it appears at least a few people think he's a savior. He hasn't been the same player since his bust.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
And those numbers were on the juice. I'm just pointing out a month of that production most likely won't be worth the $4 million plus they would have to pay him. There's a decent chance if Manny comes to the Sox, it won't go much better than Ken Griffey Jr. I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up on the DL.

It just seems like that money would be better off being banked for next season. The idea of getting Manny off of waivers was a lot more exciting if he would have joined the Sox around August 10th instead of not joining them until around September 1st.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Simple question: Am I the only one that thinks spending 4 million on Manny would be an absolute waste of money?

That would be my stance as well. Maybe if they would have spent that $4 million in January or February or March they wouldn't need any help now.

At buckweaver earlier when he said he doesn't Manny for the roids...I'm pretty sure docsox has said that there were 2 roiders on the 05 team, but he won't say them or we'll be in sports illustrated.

Also, the Manny mania would pay for his salary and then some from the tickets, jersey sales, etc.

I still see some Griffey shirts being bought.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
At buckweaver earlier when he said he doesn't Manny for the roids...I'm pretty sure docsox has said that there were 2 roiders on the 05 team, but he won't say them or we'll be in sports illustrated.

Also, the Manny mania would pay for his salary and then some from the tickets, jersey sales, etc.

I still see some Griffey shirts being bought.

Hard to compare how the Manny-mania would be, as the Griffey playing time came when fans still cared cause we were in the heart of the pennant race. I believe we need to be no worse than 4 games out when we acquire Manny for it to have any substantial impact on our attendance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
Hard to compare how the Manny-mania would be, as the Griffey playing time came when fans still cared cause we were in the heart of the pennant race. I believe we need to be no worse than 4 games out when we acquire Manny for it to have any substantial impact on our attendance.

I disagree. I think Manny will sell us tickets regardless. I know I would definitely like to go to a game to see him, and I don't even like the guy.

I don't think very many would spend that kind of money on a Ramirez jersey unless he was guaranteed of coming back next season.

They didn't sell that many Griffey, Jr., or Alomar jerseys when those guys were here well past their primes. I don't think Andruw Jones jerseys or Vizquel's have been hot sellers, either.

Who is the #4 jersey after Buehrle/Konerko/Beckham these days? Danks? Quentin? Rios?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Peavy jerseys, even though you see just as many Pods jerseys at the park still as anyone else.

Forgot about him.

Hope nobody bought a Daniel Hudson jersey.

I guess if I were the type to buy a jersey at my age, it would be either Viciedo or Alexei Ramirez. Of course, I bought a Sammy Sosa road jersey after his rookie year, that didn't work out so well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)
Forgot about him.

Hope nobody bought a Daniel Hudson jersey.

I guess if I were the type to buy a jersey at my age, it would be either Viciedo or Alexei Ramirez. Of course, I bought a Sammy Sosa road jersey after his rookie year, that didn't work out so well.

I probably would have this offseason had he still been on the team. Then again, I have a jersey hook-up, so I tend to just buy jerseys at will (Hence my Andruw Jones and Paul Konerk All-Star jerseys)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
I want to be the first to call bulls***. When the hell does Kenny's stuff go public to this extent? Either the Sox are trying to force someone to claim him ahead of them, or Kenny is trying to hide who he is really after. This is not like the KW administration at all.

It's not BS that the Sox want Manny, but KW has to be FURIOUS about the leak. Rosenthal has the absolute best White Sox source this season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
If we keep chipping away at this lead like we did tonight, Manny would like mighty fine hitting third or cleanup.

Pierre

Becks

Manny

Konerko

Rios

TCQ

AJ

Alexei

Omar/Teahan

^ That's the sh*t right there for the finish. Those first 6 hitters are legit and Manny makes them better.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
Looking at the crowd tonight, I don't blame KW for trying to make a move to help the PR of this team. The excitement for the Sox in Chicago has vanished.

This team has no compelling ballplayers.

Manny puts them on the map