White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
I don't think we'll end up giving up ANY prospects in the deal, unless LA kicks in cash.

If the Sox claim him, the Dodgers are not going to pull him back and eat $4M. They will let the Sox have him.

Kenny give up prospect? Never!

Manny's not worth prospects unless they are Linebrink or Kotsay.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
Kenny give up prospect? Never!

Manny's not worth prospects unless they are Linebrink or Kotsay.

I know that last line is a joke but thats not possible since they are on the 40 man roster.

In the NL, you have the Padres, Giants, RockiesReds, Cardinals, Phillies, and Braves who are legitimate contenders. These are the only teams in the NL that would have any desire to claim Ramirez (because, really, the only way you are going to make any type of money on an investment like this is if you make the postseason). As has been mentioned, the Giants outfield is full. The Cardinals are running out Holliday, Rasmus, and Jon Jay (.353/.405/.503/.908 in 210 PAs) and you have to figure that they are going to try and save any money they can to give to Pujols in the next 16 months. The Phillies are running out Ibanez (.306/.394/.493/.886 in the second half), Victorino, and Werth, and also have Dominic Brown in the minors. The Reds have Gomes, Bruce, Edmonds, Nix, and Stubbs as outfielders, so there probably isn't room there either unless they feel that they can get away with 6 outfielders or they designate one of those players (and that won't happen). The Padres have had financial problems as recently as a year ago, and I doubt they are looking to add $4.3 mill in the final month of the season when they are already in a great position to make it to the postseason. They also have Chase Headley (.744 OPS, which translates to a 111 OPS+), Will Venable (.754, 114 OPS+), and Chris Denorfia (.829, 134 OPS+) as options in the corners. The Braves could be a possibility, but they have Eric Hinske (.771 OPS against RHP) and Matt Diaz (.860 OPS against LHP) along with Heyward, Ankiel, McClouth, and Cabrera too. I'm not sure they have room either. The Rockies are interesting because they are close enough to the top of the Wild Card that they could make a surprise move, but they released Brad Hawpe to seemingly open up more playing time for the outfielders already on their roster, as Smith, Gonzalez, Fowler, and Spilborghs are all very solid offensive pieces.

I think he's going to clear the NL with relative ease. In the AL, the Rangers are running away with the West and even if the Athletics or Angels think they have a miraculous run in them, they aren't going to claim Manny Ramirez to spark that run. The Tigers and Blue Jays seem too far out of the race to put a claim in on him.

That leaves the Sox.

I'd say, just based on all of that, that the Sox have Manny if they want him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
It happens to everyone. Heck Damon just rejected the Red Sox. The Yankees get rejected all of the time.

Of course it does, but that wasn't what the original poster was saying. Damon it was obvious why he would reject. And for as many times as the Yanks get rejected, they sure do get alot of accepts as well.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Of course it does, but that wasn't what the original poster was saying. Damon it was obvious why he would reject. And for as many times as the Yanks get rejected, they sure do get alot of accepts as well.

Then it is also worth noting that Kenny has completely more trades than anyone in baseball, and it isn't even close IIRC, during his time as GM. More trades = more chances of rejection. I really don't think it is unusual, it just seems worse because we see it first hand, and we have a lot more chances.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Then it is also worth noting that Kenny has completely more trades than anyone in baseball, and it isn't even close IIRC, during his time as GM. More trades = more chances of rejection. I really don't think it is unusual, it just seems worse because we see it first hand, and we have a lot more chances.

Look at the trades hes made though Mike. Those guys don't have NTC in their contracts majority of the time. He either gets guys with a chip on their shoulder, or young prospects who didn't get much of a chance with their original team. He is notorious (and very good might I add) in going that route which has worked in his tenure. The only trades he's made that I can recall that a player accepted with a NTC in his contract were Peavy and Griffey Jr (don't remember if Roberto Alomar had one).

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
Look at the trades hes made though Mike. Those guys don't have NTC in their contracts majority of the time. He either gets guys with a chip on their shoulder, or young prospects who didn't get much of a chance with their original team.

But he has pulled off guys with NTC's before as well. Griffey, Peavy, Thome immediately come to mind, and I vaguely remember Rios having some limited restrictions as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
In the Sox situation, they have probably already ran their players through waivers to be ready to make deals

I wish once a player cleared waivers, it became public knowledge. I know they let us know about well known players, but I wish I could see a comprehensive list of all players who have cleared waivers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
By the way, its entirely possible that guys like Linebrink and Kotsay already HAVE cleared waivers.

I'd bet a lot of money that they already have. Not that it matters as they're going no where but I almost guarantee they've cleared through waivers already.

A wrench in the plans?

From Rotoworld:

Manny Ramirez-OF - Dodgers Aug. 26 - 5:43 pm et

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports suggests that the Dodgers might wait until Tuesday -- the last possible day -- to deal Manny Ramirez.

The Dodgers have won three straight games and are only five games back in the Wild Card hunt. Adding to that, the teams they are chasing (Cardinals, Phillies, Giants) have been struggling. Manny doubled twice on Wednesday and is sporting a .920 OPS. He could play a major role in a late-season turnaround in Los Angeles, rather than on the south side of Chicago.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

I don't see the Dodgers jumping over four teams for the WC, but it is true that those top three teams (Cards, Phils, Giants) have struggled and I was surprised to see the Dodgers only 5 back (and the Rockies only 4 back).

Edited by Buehrlesque

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
A wrench in the plans?

From Rotoworld:

I don't see the Dodgers jumping over four teams for the WC, but it is true that those top three teams (Cards, Phils, Giants) have struggled and I was surprised to see the Dodgers only 5 back (and the Rockies only 4 back).

I agree that I don't see the Dodgers jumping over three teams, but hope always springs eternal in LA LA land

Didnt KW pull this same thing around the time of acquiring Peavy? Mention walkups in your public quotes to milk the trade pressures for all it's worth financially....

"Whenever I've talked to (Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf), it's less about money even though we are stretched right now," Williams said, speaking in general terms. "We are stretched, and quite frankly we're looking at walkups every day to see exactly what we're going to have available to us. But he certainly hasn't given me any reason to think there are any restrictions right now on dollars."

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Didnt KW pull this same thing around the time of acquiring Peavy? Mention walkups in your public quotes to milk the trade pressures for all it's worth financially....

"Whenever I've talked to (Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf), it's less about money even though we are stretched right now," Williams said, speaking in general terms. "We are stretched, and quite frankly we're looking at walkups every day to see exactly what we're going to have available to us. But he certainly hasn't given me any reason to think there are any restrictions right now on dollars."

What does he mean by "walkups" ??