White Sox make no last minute deals

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
But all of a sudden next year, we'll have a system with Mitchell/Thompson/Sale/Viciedo. Those are 4 really high upside guys as your potential top 4 prospects. Add in other guys like Flowers and Danks, who have strong tools and aren't bad guys to have in your top 6 or 7 prospects. I actually think our system might be a little better than some people think, its just two huge injuries really shrunk the depth for this season.

Is Danks really a top 10 prospect anymore? Unless he has a strong finish, he's really hurt his stock this season. I also believe Flowers is gone after this season, and will be used as a trade chip.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
KW says:

Wasn't going to take away from this club (obviously Viciedo) for a rental. Didn't believe they could sign Dunn because he claims they are strapped for cash (obviously that's questionable).

And that's all.

Indeed. That statement at best rings hollow, and at worst is complete bulls*** when you look at something like the Edwin Jackson move.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
greg, problem is that even though we'd all like that, the truth is the thought process with Ozzie is almost the total opposite

I know, that's why I suggested the 3 person meeting. Oz won't DH Dayan on his own. He loves Kotsay/Jones too much as well as Omar at third. I just think since we didn't make a move we need some real pop and only Viciedo can provide it except for Jones' occasional homer.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
Kenny saying on WSW that resigning Dunn in the off-season would be out of the question, payroll issues currently.

Wow, that's hard to take seriously after the 8 million dollar addition to next year's payroll that took place yesterday.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
KW says:

Wasn't going to take away from this club (obviously Viciedo) for a rental. Didn't believe they could sign Dunn because he claims they are strapped for cash (obviously that's questionable).

And that's all.

KW just killed any value Tyler Flowers had. He shouldn't have let it get out they were willing to deal him for two months of Dunn.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Indeed. That statement at best rings hollow, and at worst is complete bulls*** when you look at something like the Edwin Jackson move.

He's been crying poor for years and keeps adding. It's obvious that he always want to be on record as having no money.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
Would you rather play for the White Sox or Yankees? Berkman wants his best chance to win a title, why fault him for it? He even apologized to KW. Christ don't take it so personal.

I listened to an interview with Berkman on mlb network. It seemed they basically gave him a few teams to pick from and he picked the Yankees. Its a stacked team and his buddy Pettite is there, although he is good friends with Linebrink.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
KW says:

And that's all.

I agree we couldn't have won the Dunn sweepstakes unless he sucked with us for 2 months. But Jackson is making a lot too. Obviously we will try to dump him in the offseason. Makes too much jack.

Kenny was just on the 670 The Score and he reiterated that the Sox had a deal for Berkman, but he rejected it to play for the Yankees.

Kenny also confirmed that Dunn would have been no more than a 2 month rental, so what Rizzo was demanding would have been a devastating decision for the future had we made the trade.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
KW just killed any value Tyler Flowers had. He shouldn't have let it get out they were willing to deal him for two months of Dunn.

It's well known right now that Flowers is a bust.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Dunn was going to make 15mil + for 4-5 years.

Jackson is 8mil for 1 year.

Thats a huge difference in terms of payroll.

Dunn wasn't going to resign anyways. Just say the Nationals wanted too much for a rental, so we said no. Don't bring up payroll constraints when you just acquired a pitcher who makes 8 million dollars next year and needs to be fixed. It rings hollow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
Is Danks really a top 10 prospect anymore? Unless he has a strong finish, he's really hurt his stock this season. I also believe Flowers is gone after this season, and will be used as a trade chip.

Flowers might be gone this off-season and Danks is still a prospect. He's clearly hurt his status significantly this year, but the guy hits the ball hard when he is 100% and he has struggled mightily this season with some nagging injuries that he really hindered his bat-speed as well as just struggled with some adjustments to his swing that he has been working on.

A year ago, Danks was crushing the ball. He hits the ball very hard when healthy, albeit he has that high strikeout rate. I tend to be down for the most part on our system but I think some people are too far down on the system. There is no denying we haev a few guys in this organization right now with quite a bit of upside (Viciedo, Sale, Mitchell, Thompson).

Add in guys like Morel who are solid bets at making the majors, plus Flowers/Danks and I don't think our system is exactly horrendous. And than there is a whole new crop of guys with a shot at developing that we brought in during the June amateur draft.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Wow, that's hard to take seriously after the 8 million dollar addition to next year's payroll that took place yesterday.

No kidding.

That said, Kenny may very well deal Danks this winter.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
Dunn wasn't going to resign anyways. Just say the Nationals wanted too much for a rental, so we said no. Don't bring up payroll constraints when you just acquired a pitcher who makes 8 million dollars next year and needs to be fixed. It rings hollow.

It may ring hollow, but Jackson is a rental. He'll be traded this offseason for sure unless we trade Mark or we are freed of Paulie's contract, etc.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Are we as good as we were in 2005? Are we going to get as lucky this year as we did in 2005? I don't like to make the 2005 comparisons. Not only was that team really good, it was also really lucky.

Who knows?

We were SEEMINGLY even better in 2006 than 2005...and we had the best offense in the majors for 3+ months that year.

Inevitably, it always comes down to pitching. We have that at least. And a better bullpen than the Twins, even with them adding Capps.

We've won 19/20 home games, of course luck plays a part in that too.