Putz and Thornton likely to the DL

Kalapse

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
I like Threets and for some reason I think the new roles for Pena and Linebrink will get them going. Remember Pena was going to be the closer and Linebrink main set up guy not too long ago. Time to earn that money.

They were?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
They were?

Pena was "closer of the future" and Liney was the set up for a while until the second half of last year.

I think Threets, Sale, and Santos can hold down the fort with some Pena thrown in to get the ball to Bobby. Harrell and Linebrink will have to fill the long relief role.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Didn't the Tribune article say that KW went as far as to show the text messages he got from Ozzie to prove they didn't believe they needed another reliever? Ugh, I'm so sick of the bulls*** between the GM and Manager.

I believe Kenny is telling the truth. But does anybody else here wish that they actually TALKED on the phone, as opposed to exchanging a few texts? A conference call between Kenny, Ozzie and Coop, in which they discuss pros, cons and feelings about the situation, would seem to be more effective and leave less room for misunderstanding than short texts.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
I believe Kenny is telling the truth. But does anybody else here wish that they actually TALKED on the phone, as opposed to exchanging a few texts? A conference call between Kenny, Ozzie and Coop, in which they discuss pros, cons and feelings about the situation, would seem to be more effective and leave less room for misunderstanding than short texts.

What misunderstanding? Kenny asked Ozzie if he wanted another pitcher, and Ozzie said f*** no. What gray area am I missing?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
Aren't all players on the 40 man on 9/1 eligible for the playoff roster? If so, sending a guy down at this point does not keep him off the playoff roster same as the DL.

Not exactly. You are supposed to be on the 8/31 25 man roster. The only exception is guys who are on the DL can be added, and guys who go to the DL can be replaced.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
ESPN reporting both put on the DL

The season is clearly on life support. The offense and starting pitching are going to have to carry this team for the next 2 weeks while both are out. Hopefully, they are ready to come back after 15 days and are ready for the stretch, but if the Sox don't get 7 innings out of these guys consistently, the Sox are going to fall to the edges of playoff contention quickly.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Pena was "closer of the future" and Liney was the set up for a while until the second half of last year.

I think Threets, Sale, and Santos can hold down the fort with some Pena thrown in to get the ball to Bobby. Harrell and Linebrink will have to fill the long relief role.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)

Hasn't Santos been unreliable of late? Sale might be the key.

Who cares if they texted or talked? They got the message across to each other just fine. They hate each other anyway. No need to speak to each other.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
It seems to me like Harrell was an awesome Alexei play from having pretty much the same line as Torres.

Harrell 6IP 1ER 4H 5BB 1WP 1.5WHIP

Torres 6IP 5ER 9H 5BB 2.33WHIP

This is one of those situations where you can actually see the difference, though. Harrell didn't seem to be scared, whereas I'm pretty sure I saw a pee stain on Torres' pants.

Threets seems to be a decent option in a pinch, and this is as big a pinch as we've been in all year.

Sale has been a very pleasant surprise.....Santos is utterly dominant one day and utterly lost the next.

Pena has what it takes for long relief.

To believe that Linebrink can deliver under pressure is to believe in unicorns and Santa Claus.

If Thornton is done so is the season.

Time to think old-school and get more innings from the rotation.

Edited by 11and1

I just don't want to hear the excuse that we destroyed Jackson, Floyd and Danks down the stretch in 2010 and that's the reason for 2011 going bad before the season starts....as we have said in the past after 2005 or even using the World Baseball Classic as an excuse for Javy.

In some ways, I suppose 2009 would fall into the same category, right? We really pushed our pitchers hard down the stretch that August/September, plus the additional playoff starts.

The interesting thing is that Buehrle started off 4/12 in quality starts and then has something like an 11/12 string going, so he's actually gotten stronger as the season has gone on...same with Jackson, Floyd and Danks, Garcia is the only one who has tailed off significantly in the second half.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
This is one of those situations where you can actually see the difference, though. Harrell didn't seem to be scared, whereas I'm pretty sure I saw a pee stain on Torres' pants.

I didn't really see that at all. I saw Harrell as lucky that he had a ball that wasn't two feet up the middle.