Where are they now? Former Sox players of days past

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 07:13 PM)
I took this from Joel Horlen's bio

In 1964 he earned a spot in the starting rotation, posting a 13-9 record and setting career bests in earned run average (1.88; 2nd in the American League only to Dean Chance's 1.65) and strikeouts (138). He also led the majors by allowing only 6.07 hits per 9 innings, bettering Sandy Koufax's National League-leading 6.22. In the next 42 years, only 8 right-handed pitchers bettered that ratio in a season. He also led the AL in Walks + Hits per IP (WHIP) (.935).

That year his White Sox battled the New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles for the pennant, but finished second, one game behind the Yankees and one game ahead of the Orioles.

In 1965 he was 2nd in the league in shutouts (4), and was 3rd in walks/9 IP (1.60). In 1966 he led the league in wild pitches (14), was 6th in hit batsmen (6), and was 2nd in ERA (2.43).

Horlen’s best season was in 1967; he finished 19-7 and led American League pitchers with a 2.06 ERA and 6 shutouts, was 2nd in W-L percentage (.731), 4th in wins, complete games (13), and walks/9 IP (2.02), and 7th in innings pitched (258). He also led the AL in Walks + Hits per IP (WHIP) (.953). He was named to the American League All-Star team for the only time in his career, but did not pitch in the game. The highlight of Horlen’s season was a clutch performance on September 10 as the White Sox were involved in a four-way pennant race with the Twins, Boston Red Sox, and Detroit Tigers; he no-hit the Tigers in the first game of a doubleheader at Comiskey Park. Not until the Tigers' Jack Morris no-hit the White Sox in 1984 would another no-hitter be pitched in a White Sox home game, and the next no-hitter by a White Sox in a White Sox home game wouldn't be pitched until 2007, by Mark Buehrle at U.S. Cellular Field. He should have won the Cy Young that year IMO

Horlen recorded victories in his next three starts, the next one coming five days later against the Twins. However, on September 27, which would be known by White Sox fans as “Black Wednesday,” the lowly Kansas City Athletics swept a doubleheader from the White Sox and effectively eliminated Eddie Stanky's "Hitless Wonders" (as the team was known because no regular batted above .250) from pennant contention. Horlen lost the second game, with 21-year-old Catfish Hunter shutting out the White Sox 4-0. On an interesting note, the two games were the last played by the Athletics in Kansas City; they would move to Oakland for the start of the 1968 season. The White Sox finished fourth, three games behind the Red Sox who, after finishing next to last in 1966, won the pennant on the final day, finishing one game ahead of the Twins and Tigers.

Horlen finished runner-up to Jim Lonborg, the star of the Red Sox staff, in the American League Cy Young Award balloting, and 4th in MVP voting.

In 1968 he led the AL in hit batsmen (14). In 1970 he was 5th in walks/9 IP (2.14).

In spring training of 1972, two weeks after voting unanimously in favor of a strike, the White Sox released Horlen, who had been the Sox’ player representative.

[edit] Oakland Athletics (1972)

He later signed with Oakland, and pitched mostly in relief as the Athletics won the World Series — the first in franchise history since 1930.

[edit] After the major leagues

In 1989, Horlen played for the St. Lucie Legends of the Senior Professional Baseball Association.[2]

[edit] Personal life

Horlen is a convert to Judaism.[1][2]

L'shanah tovah, Joe

Jimmy Piersall is, without a doubt, my all time favorite interview in the world of baseball. I am not sure why he is no longer featured, but he used to have a regular bit on one of the Chicago sports radio talk shows and was so entertaining and engaging. He said some off the wall stuff, but more often than not it was his frankness and honesty that struck you more than his quirkiness. If I am not mistaken, he ended up getting suspended once for calling players' wives "horny broads". He was also known for being a phenomenal center fielder and even finished third for the batting title one year at .322. When he hit his 100th home run, he ran the bases backwards.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
La Marr Hoyt made this interesting quote in the Sporting News that I found checking on Hoyt. I also think he got busted for drugs either after leaving baseball or while with the Padres

"Aw, in the summer when it'shot, I'll throw a few 'natural spitters' - just use the sweat that's runnin' down my forehead. No big deal; it's all legal. I don't use any foreign substance - just sweat. I'm not going to live and die with the pitch; it's too hard on your arm. But if it's hot and I?m tired, I'll use it. It's just sweat. It's legal." - La Marr Hoyt in The Sporting News (April 22, 1985)

I'll just add this from what I found:

Other Resources

A right-handed pitcher, Hoyt had two fine seasons with the Chicago White Sox, climaxing with the AL's Cy Young Award in 1983, when he led the league in victories with a 24-10 record. He had also led in victories with a 19-10 record in 1982.

The White Sox won the AL Western Division in 1983 and Hoyt pitched them to a 2-1 victory in the first game of the league championship series against the Baltimore Orioles, but Chicago lost the next three games and Baltimore took the pennant.

After a 13-18 record in 1984, Hoyt was traded to the NL's San Diego Padres. He was 16-8 in 1985, but slipped to 8-11 the following year.

In 1987, Hoyt was suspended from major league baseball for a year because of three arrests for drug use. He spent 45 days in prison and was then invited to try out with the White Sox in 1988.Shortly afterward, however, he was arrested again and convicted of possession of marijuan and cocaine.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Jimmy Piersall is, without a doubt, my all time favorite interview in the world of baseball. I am not sure why he is no longer featured, but he used to have a regular bit on one of the Chicago sports radio talk shows and was so entertaining and engaging. He said some off the wall stuff, but more often than not it was his frankness and honesty that struck you more than his quirkiness. If I am not mistaken, he ended up getting suspended once for calling players' wives "horny broads". He was also known for being a phenomenal center fielder and even finished third for the batting title one year at .322. When he hit his 100th home run, he ran the bases backwards.

*Piersall used to be on the Score with Jiggets and North. He was excellent. He's probably not on anymore because he's pretty old - maybe not as quick.

*One of the players that came over in the Hoyt trade was Ozzie Guillen.

*Dan Pasqua may be selling his house, but will maintain the address for FedEx deliveries.

QUOTE (since56 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Jerry Dybzinski is still practicing his base runnig.

One of the single biggest blunders in White Sox history.

If we win that game 1-0 behind Britt Burns' incredible performance, LaMarr Hoyt wins the deciding game and we probably win a WS way before 2005.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)

If we win that game 1-0 behind Britt Burns' incredible performance, LaMarr Hoyt wins the deciding game and we probably win a WS way before 2005.

Most heartbreaking game / series in history ... Dempsey is my Buckner

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)

Man oh man talk about heart-break. I still can't believe Dybzinksi got thrown out like that with the winning/lead run on its way home.

Britt Burns pitched one of the most courageous games I have ever seen...by that point I think his hip was already on the downside and his days of taking a start every 5th were gone, but that guy was absolutely masterful in that game against a great Orioles team. LaRussa had to leave Britt in...Sox had a very marginal pen that year.

The Landrum shot in the LF upper deck still haunts me...Yea, Im glad we got the series in 2005, but I loved that 1983 team. Still do...had my favorite player of all time on it (Fisk) and a SICK rotation.

Hoyt going in game 5 against Scott McGregor would have completely favored the White Sox.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Man oh man talk about heart-break. I still can't believe Dybzinksi got thrown out like that with the winning/lead run on its way home.

Britt Burns pitched one of the most courageous games I have ever seen...by that point I think his hip was already on the downside and his days of taking a start every 5th were gone, but that guy was absolutely masterful in that game against a great Orioles team. LaRussa had to leave Britt in...Sox had a very marginal pen that year.

The Landrum shot in the LF upper deck still haunts me...Yea, Im glad we got the series in 2005, but I loved that 1983 team. Still do...had my favorite player of all time on it (Fisk) and a SICK rotation.

Hoyt going in game 5 against Scott McGregor would have completely favored the White Sox.

I was at that game with my Dad, sitting in the right field upper deck. One of those days that really cemented my White Sox fanhood, even though it ended badly. Britt Burns was great that day. A darn shame.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)

I know a guy who quit his job to go to that Saturday game. Yes he had to work on a Saturday.

I just couldn't believe inning after inning that at home we couldn't muster one run. And knowing Hoyt was going Sunday night!

Huge disappointment for the team. I didn't even remember LaRussa being the manager it was so long ago.

QUOTE (since56 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
The Dybber shall live in infamy................Wonder what former White Sox Jose Canseco is up to now that he been blackballed by MLB, even though he was right along.

I'd guess that whatever it is it involves lots of flexing, mirrors, some baby oil and probably a couple of hookers too.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Right, I'm cheering for his drug use ... he's currently drug-free and a rover in our organization

Thanks for letting us kow that. I ddin't know it, but that is great. I remember how pin point Hoyt was with his pitches. I saw that 2-1 win in 1983 he pitched in the ALCS

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)

I remmeber that game and when Britt was walking to the dug out after being taken out in the 10th the announcer said, "hold your head up son you have nothing to be ashamed of."

QUOTE (since56 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
The Dybber shall live in infamy................Wonder what former White Sox Jose Canseco is up to now that he been blackballed by MLB, even though he was right along.

Pretty sure I saw some video of him still playing for an independent league somewhere recently. I saw footage of him hitting a home run like two weeks ago; could have been footage from a year or two ago but he looked old balls, pretty sure it was new.

Found it: http://www.nesn.com/2010/08/jose-canseco-j...d-eviction.html

Edited by The Baconator