Ozzie and the staff will be back for 2011

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Score reporting that Ozzie met with Kenny and Jerry seperately, and he's saying he will be returning next year. Hopefully this s***show is behind us.

As long as Kenny and the FO are the ones making the decisions on how they want the team built, I can tolerate Ozzie for another year.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
As long as Kenny and the FO are the ones making the decisions on how they want the team built, I can tolerate Ozzie for another year.

Frankly...I'm sick of this side show.

If he's coming back...he needs to cut out the 2010 crap. The 2004-2009 distractions I can take. This year has been a whole nother level.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)

^^^^This

But then again Ozzie is stubborn enough to try and fit a square peg in a round hole...and then b**** about it. It's all warm and fuzzy now...but there will be conflict next year...book it.

Yeah, it's kind of like the dreaded "vote of confidence" which only serves to focus more attention on Guillen and his future.

And Ozzie's never been known to let an interviewer's question pass without a comment, so, unless there's some type of "gag order" that he can no longer talk about 2012 and beyond without being relieved of his duties with no buyout/compensation, the soap opera continues status quo.

It's like the White Sox don't want to be portrayed as the bad guys in this situation (like with letting Fisk, Ventura or Thomas go) so perhaps KW is just hoping beyond hope that Ozzie says something so ludicrous that the legal team feels they can make an argument for dismissal on grounds. It would be interesting to see if Ozzie's contract is different than the standard managerial contract in terms of warnings and/or events that would precipitate a firing. Like the CEO of HP did something insignificant compared to the Ozzie circus and was dismissed relatively quickly...albeit with $35 million or so in shareholder money or something like that, along with stock options too I'm sure.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
I'm actually really unmotivated to root for this team next year.It feels like a Lovie Smith lameduck type of deal.

I hear that. No accountability at all. Ozzie has done everything in his power to be fired/allowed to talk to other teams, and nothing will change.

Well I was hoping Ozzie was gone, so this is sort of disappointing.

But...

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Based on some comments made by Konerko in the past, I wonder if this increases the chances he re-signs with the Sox.

That is one good aspect of Ozzie returning. PK is more likely to come back, probably.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
Does anyone actually expect this to get better next year with Ozzie's extension/future with Sox in even more of the spotlight? For everyone involved, it's time for Ozzie to leave the Sox.

Ozzie learned and adapted well his first couple years, so I'm hoping maybe 2 straight disappointing seasons might force him to look in the mirror again. Not betting on it, but its not impossible either.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
I wonder what slappy grindy not so talented lefty we will sign this offseason so Ozzie can fall in love with him and overuse. They believe the DH through bench players is a success.

The only person who might sort of think that is Ozzie, and I think even he realizes he had the wrong parts there. Notice how Kotsay's playing time fell off the map in August.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
The only person who might sort of think that is Ozzie, and I think even he realizes he had the wrong parts there. Notice how Kotsay's playing time fell off the map in August.

PA by month for Mark Kotsay:

March/April: 41 (Jones was on fire)

May: 79 (Kotsay actually had a hot streak and earned some of this)

June: 68

July: 65

August: 69

Sept: 28

Games played:

I sure don't see his playing time falling off the map until ManRoid was acquired.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
The side show is part of the act. Its never going away.

I don't mind some portion of the side show. Some portion of it is entertaining and useful. My problem is that this year has been a whole 'nother level. This year it's been far more pernicious and personal.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- The news of Ozzie Guillen's return as White Sox manager for the 2011 season was not the only piece of information delivered Monday concerning the team's coaching staff.

Guillen made it clear how his entire group will be back with him, from hitting coach Greg Walker to pitching coach Don Cooper to bench coach Joey Cora. It's a point Guillen made during his meetings with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and general manager Ken Williams.

"My coaching staff, they're going to be here as long as I'm here," Guillen said. "If they're not here, I leave. I made it very clear.

"I know people are going to say, 'Wow, here we go with Ozzie again.' No. I love the way they work; I love their work ethic."

Cora could be the exception to Guillen's return rule, which would leave Guillen with mixed feelings over his possible departure. While he would love to have his right-hand man back on the job in Chicago, Guillen also wants to see Cora get a shot at one of the managerial openings figuring to arise.

"Joey's like my brother -- I don't say little brother, he's older than me," said Guillen with a smile. "But my wish for Joey, I hope he manages one day. I hope he gets an opportunity.

"In the meanwhile, I pray for him not to be the manager. I don't want him to leave. My goal is to see him as a manager, but in the meanwhile, he's my right-hand man, my best friend and I want him with me as long as I can. All my coaches are fine."

Truly tragic for my White Sox fandom. The Jerry Manual days were fun when the kids could play, but it grew old very quickly. However, I have never despised a coach as much as I hate Ozzie. If we go into next year with spare parts and this clown crew in charge, it's going to be hard to feign any interest for me. Ugh.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
I don't mind some portion of the side show. Some portion of it is entertaining and useful. My problem is that this year has been a whole 'nother level. This year it's been far more pernicious and personal.

I agree. I think part of the problem this year has been when Ozzie's kids have gotten involved and have talked trash. Thats the stuff that has really annoyed me.