2010-2011 NBA Thread

The New Jersey Nets have pulled out of the Melo Drama.

Russian owner Mikhail Prokhorov delivered the bombshell to the media on Wednesday night as he made his opening statement after traveling to the United States for what he thought would be a chance to finish the deal to bring Carmelo Anthony to the Nets from the Denver Nuggets.

"I'm not happy with the way ... this deal has gone until now," Prokhorov said. "It has taken too long. It has been played out in public and it certainly has taken a toll on the players and I believe that it has cost us several games. I think management did a great job, but there comes a time when the price is simply too expensive. I'm instructing our team to walk away from the deal."

The decision to pull out of the talks was made Tuesday, said Prokhorov, who displayed a discernable level of frustration at the collapse of the deal the Nets had been working on for three months.

"It's my decision," said Prokhorov, who said the Nets were given permission to speak with Anthony but never got a "straightforward answer" on the specifics of that meeting.

Prokhorov said he never heard from Anthony.

"Maybe he sent me an e-mail, but I don't have a computer," Prokhorov said. "Maybe the carrier pigeon got lost."

Link

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
My thoughts after watching the Bulls lately are that they'd be nuts to not be more than willing to include Taj and Asik as part of a blockbuster trade package. Some were saying that you couldn't give up both, but I disagree. Sign some journeyman power forward if you need to add more depth up front.

If the Nuggets were willing to give up Melo for any combination of players from the Bulls not named Rose and Noah, I think it'd have been done before the season started.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)
That is awesome.

Please don't tell me you think we've got a shot at 'Melo? Heed the words of J4L: We WILL NOT acquire a superstar through a trade or FA! 2000 and last year was proof positive of this as far as FA goes. And Kobe, Gasol and KG were proof positive of this on the trade front. God help this franchise if we hadn't LUCKED out with a capital L in winning the lottery and drafting Rose.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
Please don't tell me you think we've got a shot at 'Melo? Heed the words of J4L: We WILL NOT acquire a superstar through a trade or FA! 2000 and last year was proof positive of this as far as FA goes. And Kobe, Gasol and KG were proof positive of this on the trade front. God help this franchise if we hadn't LUCKED out with a capital L in winning the lottery and drafting Rose.

How so? I am in no means saying the bulls are going to trade for Melo, but last years Free Agency was a farce, that s*** was locked up after the Olympics when Lebron Wade and Bosh made a pinky swear to play together. If the Bulls truly had a shot at one of them, I think they very well could have landed one. But nobody had a chance because all three of them had already decided where they were going to play.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)

It all depends on what Anthony wants. This isn't about any team wants. I really doubt it actually happens, but I thought it was hilarious that the NJ owner told an NBA egotist to shove it.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Starting to not even want Melo at all. He may be a very good player but this whole soap opera is really starting to make me question him. He clearly wants to play in New York. Let him go.

I was saying this same exact thing to someone earlier. As much as Melo is, (that is soon becoming a was) my favorite player in the league. I just don't care anymore. Unless Denver will all of a sudden take Deng + a draft pick for Melo, who cares anymore?

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 11:56 PM)
Blake Griffin's double-double streak is over.

Kevin Love's streak, however, continues, despite entering the second half with 0 rebounds.

My first time watching Minnesota was tonight, that's some bad basketball right there. Blake Griffin however was so fun to watch, he's officially on my list of guys who I'd pay top dollar to see live.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
My first time watching Minnesota was tonight, that's some bad basketball right there. Blake Griffin however was so fun to watch, he's officially on my list of guys who I'd pay top dollar to see live.

It was an ugly game for the Wolves. Most of our road games are like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:52 AM)
But behind the scenes...the question about who he'll sign a contract extension with is what is driving all of this.

He wants an extension. The reason he's pushing a trade is so he can sign with the team he wants to now, as opposed to waiting for the collective bargaining agreement. I don't blame him if he doesn't want to go to the Nets.

Carmelo has said and done all the right things as far as I'm concerned thus far and I'd love to have him on the Bulls.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
He wants an extension. The reason he's pushing a trade is so he can sign with the team he wants to now, as opposed to waiting for the collective bargaining agreement. I don't blame him if he doesn't want to go to the Nets.

Carmelo has said and done all the right things as far as I'm concerned thus far and I'd love to have him on the Bulls.

So Carmelo saying that he will not have a meeting with the Nets (although they were granted one), the Nets backing out, then Carmelo saying well he never told the Nets he WOULDN'T sign is saying and doing the right things? He should just not say anything at all, he is clearly toying with everyone which is why this has gone on this long anyways, the only way I want him in Chicago is if Deng is the centerpiece. You do not trade Noah (probably everyone on the Bulls favorite teammate) who is pretty much our only chance at stopping players like Howard, Bosh, Garnett, Perkins, etc. Telling your team you will only sign a contract for the Knicks, and now the Bulls, then it was back to the Knicks, now reports are that they are trying to get the Bulls in is not a good way for a superstar to act.