2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
You don't make a trade based on 1 loss on a bad night for one of the best players in the NBA.

You make a trade because it's the right thing to do based on a consistent problem.

i think all along the major glaring weakness of the bulls is they don't have another player who can handle the ball and create own shot. if you look at it, all the championship caliber teams has a few players who can handle the ball and create their own shot, i.e. lebron/wade, rondo/allen/pierce, nelson/richardson/hedo and kobe/odom.

if we don't get a guy like mayo, jr smith, or even anthony parker at the deadline, in the playoffs teams will send constant double teams at rose to pressure the ball, forcing him to give it up or force a turnover, we saw a glimpse of that last year against the cavs.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
i think all along the major glaring weakness of the bulls is they don't have another player who can handle the ball and create own shot. if you look at it, all the championship caliber teams has a few players who can handle the ball and create their own shot, i.e. lebron/wade, rondo/allen/pierce, nelson/richardson/hedo and kobe/odom.

I'm not really sure I think of half of those guys as creating their own shot. I get the handle the ball part and how that's a weakness of the Bulls, I'm also not sure that many of them are good ballhandlers either.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
The Celtics are just a terrible match-up for the Magic. And Gilbert Arenas is bad at basketball.

Hedo 1 for 10, Gilbert 0 for 7 and the team was 3 for 24 from 3PT land.

We're just not going to win basketball games against good teams when we shoot that poorly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
I'm not really sure I think of half of those guys as creating their own shot. I get the handle the ball part and how that's a weakness of the Bulls, I'm also not sure that many of them are good ballhandlers either.

guys like odom, turkoglu, and pierce are really point forwards who can bring the ball up court and set up the offense. if you leave guys like ray allen and jason richardson open, you are really asking for trouble. in atlanta, bibby is the pg, but joe johnson, jamal crawford can handle the ball and setup offense. in OKC, durant westbrook and harden can all get their own shots off. we are the only contending team i can think of who does not have another player who can handle and create their own shot.

i think the point is, and has been for a while, that we need someone who can setup offense, handle the ball and knock down open threes if teams decide to double on rose. It really kills us in the playoffs that if opposing teams send constant double teams at rose and our offense will become extremely stagnant and out of flow.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
guys like odom, turkoglu, and pierce are really point forwards who can bring the ball up court and set up the offense. if you leave guys like ray allen and jason richardson open, you are really asking for trouble. in atlanta, bibby is the pg, but joe johnson, jamal crawford can handle the ball and setup offense. in OKC, durant westbrook and harden can all get their own shots off. we are the only contending team i can think of who does not have another player who can handle and create their own shot.

i think the point is, and has been for a while, that we need someone who can setup offense, handle the ball and knock down open threes if teams decide to double on rose. It really kills us in the playoffs that if opposing teams send constant double teams at rose and our offense will become extremely stagnant and out of flow.

This. In fact, GSW did a good job of exposing this last night. If Rose had the ball past half court, they pressured the crap out of him to get the ball in someone else's hands. No one on this team other than Watson can handle the rock. That's why I've been clamoring for Mayo. Mayo has very good handles for a SG, looks to create his own shot and would be able to initiate the offense. More importantly, he would make teams pay for doubling on Rose.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
The Celtics are just a terrible match-up for the Magic. And Gilbert Arenas is bad at basketball.

Who isn't a bad match up for the Magic these days? The Bulls showed that you can just let Dwight go off and defend their perimeter shooters lightly. Sure, in a playoff series they'll have a couple games where they don't miss from down town, but the Magic are a paper tiger.

Awful year to be the worst team in NBA history. Assuming CLE wins the lottery and gets the #1 pick, there is really no for sure college kid you take at #1. There is good talent in college but nobody I think could be a superstar at the next level or build a franchise around.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Awful year to be the worst team in NBA history. Assuming CLE wins the lottery and gets the #1 pick, there is really no for sure college kid you take at #1. There is good talent in college but nobody I think could be a superstar at the next level or build a franchise around.

2006 draft comparable?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)

Theres alot of meh talent, but some good role players should be had by the better teams in the league.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
you mean you cant build a team around Andrea Bargnani, LaMarcus Aldridge, Adam Morrison, or Tyrus Thomas as the star? ;)

Bargnani and Aldridge turned out to be really, really good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
Without Bosh drawing defenders away Bargnani turned out to be really, really average.

If 21-6-2 is average, I want more guys like him then. His percentages are down, obviously, because he's basically the only guy in Toronto who can score. But he can light it up.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
If 21-6-2 is average, I want more guys like him then. His percentages are down, obviously, because he's basically the only guy in Toronto who can score. But he can light it up.

His percentages are down and he's basically completely stopped blocking shots. He is not a player you build around... he scores 20 ppg because he's just that... average guy on a s*** team.

21 points on 18 shots a game is pretty bad, and he's no longer a 40% 3PT shooter, down to 32%. He's average.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
His percentages are down and he's basically completely stopped blocking shots. He is not a player you build around... he scores 20 ppg because he's just that... average guy on a s*** team.

21 points on 18 shots a game is pretty bad, and he's no longer a 40% 3PT shooter, down to 32%. He's average.

That being said, you could do a lot worse than drafting a Bargnani.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)

I never said he's someone to build around. It's quite obvious, and it always has been, that he's best as a great 2nd option. Of course his percentages are down, because he's taking almost 5 more shots a game and forcing things because he has to. He's far from average.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
That being said, you could do a lot worse than drafting a Bargnani.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
So, this discussion begs the question...if there is no Derrick Rose in this year's draft, is there a Bargani/Aldridge?

Sullinger, if he comes out. I still think Barnes will be good, he's just seemingly going to take a longer time to be ready.