2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
My comparison wasn't for both as players, it was for the flagrant fouls. Bynum's was argubly worse IMO.

Guess I should have pointed that out in my original post though.

I don't think there's really a case for Brown's being a worse foul. At least he tried to block the ball, Bynum was just going for the knockdown.

Of course, I'm fully prepared for the hordes of Bulls fans to rip Kwame a new asshole while vehemently claiming it's worse :P

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard not to envision Howard in a Laker uniform. In two years, Kobe would be 34, going into his 16th season. With the Kobe on the verge of retirement and the Laker in need of a superstar, I would assume they will go all out of Howard. The Lakers has always had a superstar/hall of famer on their squad, from Elgin Baylor to Jerry West, to Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe. Howard would have the personality, style of play, and impact to be the torch bearer to a Laker great and play in front of the most popular basketball team in the world. He could be the face of the Lakers for the next 7-8 years. For Howard, it would increase his already great popularity, and possibly cement his legacy if he can win with that team.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
It's hard not to envision Howard in a Laker uniform. In two years, Kobe would be 34, going into his 16th season. With the Kobe on the verge of retirement and the Laker in need of a superstar, I would assume they will go all out of Howard. The Lakers has always had a superstar/hall of famer on their squad, from Elgin Baylor to Jerry West, to Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe. Howard would have the personality, style of play, and impact to be the torch bearer to a Laker great and play in front of the most popular basketball team in the world. He could be the face of the Lakers for the next 7-8 years. For Howard, it would increase his already great popularity, and possibly cement his legacy if he can win with that team.
It's going to be a different league in a couple years. 2/3 of the league doesn't want to be a minor league organization for the Lakers, Knicks, Heat, and Celtics.

If Howard wants to be a Laker, he's going to have to deal with some sort of a franchise tag to get there.

A steak knife-wielding man held police and security guards at bay for nearly an hour at the Staples Center in a bizarre scene that played out just before the Los Angeles Clippers hosted the Cleveland Cavaliers on Saturday, authorities said.

The center's general manager, Lee Zeidman, said the man, who was not identified, entered the venue through an employee entrance. He said security officers tried to block him, but the man was brandishing the blade.

The man ran to the arena floor, where he was met by 25 security staffers who surrounded him until police arrived. Zeidman said the man made no demands or offer a motive for his actions.

"He was talking a lot of gibberish, making a lot of veiled threats, and nobody could really understand him," Zeidman said. "There were no specific demands. He told us: 'Just back away or else you're going to get hurt. Leave me alone. I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to get whatever I want.'"

Police detained him after he made a move toward a tunnel leading off the court.

Spectators with VIP access to the 12:30 p.m. game were evacuated. Players from both teams watched the drama unfold on a TV outside the Cavaliers' dressing room before they were instructed to return to their locker rooms.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
It's going to be a different league in a couple years. 2/3 of the league doesn't want to be a minor league organization for the Lakers, Knicks, Heat, and Celtics.

If Howard wants to be a Laker, he's going to have to deal with some sort of a franchise tag to get there.

That may be true, but I'm going to steal a section from a Bill Simmons article because I agree with it entirely.

EVERYONE WHO CLAIMS THE NBA IS BEING RUINED BECAUSE SUPERSTARS WANT TO CONTROL WHERE THEY PLAY: D-minus

What a lazy argument. Over the past six decades, the following players pushed their way from a worse situation to a (seemingly) better one either by trade or free agency: Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Shaquille O'Neal, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone, Rick Barry, Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Bill Walton, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Gary Payton, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Clyde Drexler ... should I keep going? Now this "phenomenon" is endangering the game???

As Kenny Smith said last night, "If [a small-market team] builds the right pieces around the right guy, he will stay." Period. Duncan stayed in San Antonio because it built the right team around him. Stockton and Malone stayed in Utah because they had each other. Durant will stay in Oklahoma City because of Westbrook and everyone else. LeBron left Cleveland mainly because it made bad trades and signed the wrong guys. And Utah never would have thought it might lose Deron Williams if it hadn't screwed up the roster around him. Besides, why is it such a bad thing to have six or seven loaded teams and six or seven terrible ones? Oh crap, I hate seeing the Finals with all these elite players! Give me a break.

The response of course to that is that Cleveland, for example, was screwed either way...because they let Lebron James decide all their trades for a couple years in an effort to keep him. Utah's coach resigned and that wasn't enough for Williams. The Nuggets built a legitimately solid team around Anthony and that wasn't enough for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
The response of course to that is that Cleveland, for example, was screwed either way...because they let Lebron James decide all their trades for a couple years in an effort to keep him. Utah's coach resigned and that wasn't enough for Williams. The Nuggets built a legitimately solid team around Anthony and that wasn't enough for him.

They actually traded Williams on their own, he didn't even know about the trade until it was announced on Sportscenter. He also showed serious doubts about signing an extension, that doesn't sound like a guy that forced a trade (or at least this particular one).

As for the other two, it's called free agency, it's been around for years. Some guys are going to stay, some aren't. Frankly, they should be fairly happy they had those guys for 7 years. Both of those guys could have switched teams three years ago, but they signed extensions with opt-out clauses instead. You just can't force guys to stay somewhere forever, just like you can't legislate stupid contracts and stupid roster moves out of the league.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
They actually traded Williams on their own, he didn't even know about the trade until it was announced on Sportscenter. He also showed serious doubts about signing an extension, that doesn't sound like a guy that forced a trade (or at least this particular one).

As for the other two, it's called free agency, it's been around for years. Some guys are going to stay, some aren't. Frankly, they should be fairly happy they had those guys for 7 years. Both of those guys could have switched teams three years ago, but they signed extensions with opt-out clauses instead. You just can't force guys to stay somewhere forever, just like you can't legislate stupid contracts and stupid roster moves out of the league.

The league is darn well gonna try. If they can't at least legislate out some of the stupid contracts, they're going to lose the league.

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- As expected, the Chicago Bulls signed guards John Lucas III and Jannero Pargo on Sunday.

The pair are expected to provide injury insurance and depth in practices.

Pargo, a Chicago native who played 63 games for the Bulls last season, had knee surgery and did not stick with the New Orleans Hornets earlier this season.

The Bulls waived Lucas on Jan. 4 before his contract was guaranteed for the remainder of the season.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

So here's an interesting subplot, the Knicks lose again today to Milwaulkee.

If that team doesn't get out of the 1st round of the East (not looking likely), is Mike D'Antoni's job in question here?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)

If that team doesn't get out of the 1st round of the East (not looking likely), is Mike D'Antoni's job in question here?

No.

First of all, lockout.

Secondly, he's their best recruiter for CP3 right now, and they know it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)

It shouldn't be because he has two superstars and a cast from the local YMCA.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 12:36 AM)

Is this the best dunk that's called an offensive foul?

lol at Griffin's response, you could tell the guy had about 3 reactions at the same time, and knew right away he blew it and got a tech and tried to shut up but it was too late.