2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cavs are looking into tampering...

The Cleveland Cavaliers have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to finance an investigation into suspicions that the Miami Heat broke anti-tampering rules while pursuing superstar LeBron James while he was still under contract with Cleveland, Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday.

The Midwest law firm, which was not named in the report, is believed to have on its staff several former prosecutors with experience in building cases.

The report comes just one day before James' highly anticipated return to Cleveland, where he will face his former team for the first time.

Team spokesman Tad Carper said Wednesday night the Cavaliers are declining comment on the Yahoo! report, which citing anonymous league sources, says Gilbert plans to present NBA commissioner David Stern with a detailed case with the hopes of launching a tampering investigation.

Gilbert is going one step further than necessary, since the NBA will look into tampering allegations if it is formally requested by a team. The NBA could ask the Heat to provide phone records and testimony in order to determine when the team's contact with James started.

Teams were not allowed to contact James before the July 1 start of free agency.

Top Heat executive Pat Riley allegedly met with James in Miami in Nov. 2009 and representatives for James allegedly met with Heat guard Dwyane Wade in Chicago in June of 2010.

If a franchise is found guilty of tampering with another team's player, the NBA can levy fines, suspend front office executives, and, or, take away draft picks.

Riley, James, Wade and forward Chris Bosh, who also signed with Miami in July, have denied that there was a predetermined plan before the start of free agency. But the players have also admitted that they discussed the possibility of playing on the same team during the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

I've always said the 2008 Summer Olympics chatter between James, Wade and Bosh was tampering, even if it wasnt "official" tampering.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Too bad they can't cancel contracts, that would be awesome.

I was just thinking that. So basically, if the reward is high enough at this point, you can take the penalties and be fine with everything. I mean, the Heat still wind LeBron and Bosh, so why would they care otherwise? Ooohh just a little money, or a draft pick or 3, or Riley has to watch the games from home for a while...that isn't of any dire consequence.

If you have the ability to void the contract if tampering takes place, then teams will stop tampering pretty quickly (or, at the very least, they will do it a little more cautiously).

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
Considering their pinched payroll, losing a couple of 1st rd picks would be a big loss for the Heat. I would love that.

Yeah, yeah!

Luxury tax bill of about $25 mil plus loss of two 1st rounders.

I like the way you think.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
Considering their pinched payroll, losing a couple of 1st rd picks would be a big loss for the Heat. I would love that.

The Heat really don't have any 1st rounders left, IIRC, they gave up every one that they were allowed to give up through like 2018 while assembling their big 3.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
The second unit really benefits from having Gibson.

They're back in this game. Now they have to weather their inevitable third-quarter meltdown and get back into it in the 4th.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:14 AM)
They're back in this game. Now they have to weather their inevitable third-quarter meltdown and get back into it in the 4th.

Amazing, isn't it? Announcers ripping on the Bulls effort on defense.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Amazing, isn't it? Announcers ripping on the Bulls effort on defense.

It's like clockwork... usually they manage to go off and get back in it in the 4th but this is Boston. Let's see if Rose can carry them back into it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Van Gundy ripping on the Bulls shooting guard scenario. It really reminds me of the rotating DH debacle.

It was worth the risk to trade Hinrich but god damn does that hurt right now, because he would be the PERFECT player to round out this starting 5. Had it worked and LeBron was starting at SF (with Boozer at PF for the sake of argument), it wouldn't matter who was the 2 guard.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Van Gundy ripping on the Bulls shooting guard scenario. It really reminds me of the rotating DH debacle.

Bah, the difference there is...the guys we have are playing well below where one would expect based on their career points.

It'd be like we signed Matsui last year, and he put up the same numbers Kotsay did. You couldn't have seen that one coming.

The Bulls clearly are not firing on all cylinders... Boozer hasn't even gotten going yet and they look like they've taken a step backwards in the meantime. Deng and Rose were about the only consistent ones that game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
Bah, the difference there is...the guys we have are playing well below where one would expect based on their career points.

It'd be like we signed Matsui last year, and he put up the same numbers Kotsay did. You couldn't have seen that one coming.

What exactly were you expecting from a 31 year old on his sixth team in eight years (with two stops in Orlando) that has never posted a PER above 11 and a wing that can't shoot and was dumped by two different teams since the start of last season?

Edited by ZoomSlowik