Ron Santo has passed away.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:11 AM)
RIP Mr. Santo. Listening to the Cubs lose on the radio won't be the same without you.

This just became my FB status, with a 'hat tip' to you of course. Thanks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
I look forward to it. i know they wont "sugar coat" Santo.

At the same time, Terry is just getting back from a death in his family. I am interested in seeing if his attitude changes.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
Who died? i head something about a death, but i didnt hear them say who.

Never mind, found it...

Deepest condolences to WSCR-AM's afternoon host, Terry Boers. Terry's daughter-in-law, Traci Helphrey Boers shockingly passed away. She had come down with a sudden illness last week and passed away this week at the much too young age of 36. She was grade school teacher and married to Terry's son John. The couple had three small children together.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
To me, this is my #1 standard for the HOF. I know people like to compare guys across different eras, but you can't do that effectively. If you were to take pitchers from this generation, and compare them to guys in the 60's no guy of the 90's/00's would make it. The opposite would be true of hitters. It is all about a players relative level of dominance during their playing time.

RIP Ron, he was one of the more entertaining broadcasters and his passion for the game was undeniable.

I don't agree that the #1 criteria should be that a player was dominate at a position. There isn't a wing in the HOF for the best 3B, 2B or SS. It should be for the most dominate players. I personally didn't see him play until the end of his career so I don't have an opinion either way. but he should be judged on if he was a dominate player in the league not just if he was the best 3B at the time.

I actually worked on a promotional tour of This Old Cub through a few midwestern minor league stadiums when I was in high school. Ron Santo was there and I did talk to him every once and a while. I told him I was a White Sox fan and after congratulating the team for winning the WS he kind of teased me for working on the tour for the movie. He was a really nice guy, positive to a fault but you couldn't help but admire him for it. Sad news this morning man.

Based on old HOF standards, he is borderline. But these days, with guys like Rice and Dawson in, Santo certainly makes the cut. With no Veteran's Committee election this year, i think he loses out on that sympathy vote potential.

Always sad when these old baseball guys go. Niehaus a few weeks ago here and now Ron. RIP

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
I second it. RIP Mr. Santo. You were an great baseball player and an asset to the game of baseball!!

Right on.

I remember his rookie year. I hated him as a Cub. I was at Comiskey Park for opening day in 1974 and saw his White Sox debut.....ugh. but, I was kinda excited about what he may have brought to the Sox though that didn't work out very well. There was Ron Santo Pizza though, that was pretty good. I have to admit that I loved his enthusiasm and love for the game. For that I will surely miss him. As for the HOF, when Brooks Robinson went in, Santo should have too, in my opinion.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
Right on.

I remember his rookie year. I hated him as a Cub. I was at Comiskey Park for opening day in 1974 and saw his White Sox debut.....ugh. but, I was kinda excited about what he may have brought to the Sox though that didn't work out very well. There was Ron Santo Pizza though, that was pretty good. I have to admit that I loved his enthusiasm and love for the game. For that I will surely miss him. As for the HOF, when Brooks Robinson went in, Santo should have too, in my opinion.

I was going to say something about the Pizza Man in my earlier post but I couldn't remember why they called him that. Thanks.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
As a boy in Chicago during a time when the Cubs had so many great players on their team Santo was always my favorite. Even though I was a Sox fan I had a place in my heart for Santo. We shared the same 1st name and a love of 3rd base. Santo handled his diabetes with grace and class raising money and spending time with children's diabetic organizations. He seemed to have a good sense of humor and handled aging and being an amputee very well and inspired many in the same position . Rest in peace Ronnie.

Great post. I also played third base and loved the fact there were both Santo and Melton to have as "idols" if that's the right word.

I haven't lived in Chicago a while but I wonder why anybody would "hate" Santo. I guess there are reasons but he doesn't seem like a hateable figure.

I got goosebumps when I saw this thread. Rest in peace, Mr. Santo. It's a sad day in Chicago I'm sure.

This is going to get massive publicity and it should in Chicago.

Very sad.

He's got to be one of the most recognizable names in Chicago sports.

Ron Santo is dead. Hard to believe it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
Great post. I also played third base and loved the fact there were both Santo and Melton to have as "idols" if that's the right word.

I haven't lived in Chicago a while but I wonder why anybody would "hate" Santo. I guess there are reasons but he doesn't seem like a hateable figure.

I got goosebumps when I saw this thread. Rest in peace, Mr. Santo. It's a sad day in Chicago I'm sure.

This is going to get massive publicity and it should in Chicago.

Very sad.

He's got to be one of the most recognizable names in Chicago sports.

Ron Santo is dead. Hard to believe it.

I think he's hated mostly by a generation who never saw him play but only know him as the "homer" announcer that he was on the radio.

Sure, as a Sox fan I "hated" him as a Cub and later I took delight whenever I heard him groan "Ooooooh Noooooo" during a broadcast but I'm truly saddened by his death.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I think he's hated mostly by a generation who never saw him play but only know him as the "homer" announcer that he was on the radio.

Sure, as a Sox fan I "hated" him as a Cub and later I took delight whenever I heard him groan "Ooooooh Noooooo" during a broadcast but I'm truly saddened by his death.

Not even that he was a homer, he was just a god awful announcer. That being said, he was always entertaining and it certainly sounds like he was a great human and that's what matters most. RIP Ron.