Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Pale Sox

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Sometimes, you have to address things whether or not you want to. I'm sure Ozzie would prefer that he didn't have this issue but he does, through no fault of his own.

Can you convince me that he *Has* to address Jenks?

Ozzie "Had" to address Oney. I'm not sure if he did, but I hope we can both agree that the Oney thing shouldn't keep happening.

Maybe there's a real current of anger behind the scenes at Jenks that is on the verge of boiling over if Ozzie didn't say something, maybe there's some real divisions in this locker room already (all bad things IMO)...if things are so bad that Ozzie absolutely needed to address this issue regarding a player that isn't even there any more, then the team already has some much deeper issues developing.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, one of the worst things that Ozzie said was that his player's didnt even miss Jenks or his troubles, and I'm sure that he probably had at least a few friends on the team or teammates who cared for him and this will only prompt reporters to be asking around trying to fuel some internal feuds between Ozzie and his players.

I just want the players focused on getting ready for the season and not to be worried that the drama is starting already. Ozzie has done a fairly good job in the past with keeping the media on him and not his players and hopefully he can continue this and allow the players to focus on preparing for some baseball and bonding as a team.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Honest question, is there any other team in baseball that has a publicly bad separation from one of its players as often as the sox? It seems like every season there's one with us.

The Cubs seem to be a team that has some problems with players after they leave, but like the Sox it's more in the personalities of the players than anything.

Im not sure on anything specific, but almost every case I have seen or remember is more of a problem with the player than the organization, of course both sides probably had something to do with the matter but the player's character is usually the driving force.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
Honest question, is there any other team in baseball that has a publicly bad separation from one of its players as often as the sox? It seems like every season there's one with us.

Who else left here and bad mouthed the Sox? Seriously, it is way less than you make it out to be. Thome, Rowand, Garland, Blum, Garcia, Contreras, Linebrink, Iguchi, Crede, Uribe. As far as I know, none of them had a bad thing to say about the organization. OCab and Swish are the only 2 I know who had some issues and it was brought upon themselves. As for Dye, he was done and the rest of baseball agreed obviously and he was disgruntled with his declining skills more so than mad at the organization. Bobby is a sensitive prick and Ozzie is hot headed and defensive. I have no problem with Ozzie standing up for the organization. If Bobby plans on plunking a hitter, I guarentee their will be a brawl and it won't end pretty for Bobby.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Who else left here and bad mouthed the Sox? Seriously, it is way less than you make it out to be. Thome, Rowand, Garland, Blum, Garcia, Contreras, Linebrink, Iguchi, Crede, Uribe.

Frank Thomas, Ordonez, Carl Everett to some extent, some of the failed prospects (Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, I think McCarthy had a few words).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
Frank Thomas, Ordonez, Carl Everett to some extent, some of the failed prospects (Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, I think McCarthy had a few words).

All of those that left though had to go for one reason or another and most due to declining play. They couldn't handle being told they were not good enough. Maggs was coming off knee surgery and his departure allowed us to fill multiple holes and win a WS. Then you have professionals like I mentioned earlier who went about their business, found new jobs and had no problems.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
All of those that left though had to go for one reason or another and most due to declining play. They couldn't handle being told they were not good enough. Maggs was coming off knee surgery and his departure allowed us to fill multiple holes and win a WS. Then you have professionals like I mentioned earlier who went about their business, found new jobs and had no problems.

Thing is...lots of teams have guys who are let go either for contractual reasons, age reasons, or performance reasons, but I do struggle to think of any team that is ripped as regularly by its former players as the Sox are.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Thing is...lots of teams have guys who are let go either for contractual reasons, age reasons, or performance reasons, but I do struggle to think of any team that is ripped as regularly by its former players as the Sox are.

Our view is quite narrow since we digest White Sox news constantly. We are fans and we don't get a whole lot of news about other organizations. Also ESPN loves Ozzie for his no holds barred comments, thus our stories get blown up a bit more than most. I am sure if you look at other organizations, you will see each team probably has had some issues with disgruntled players. Look at the Cubs, Milton Bradley, Jacque Jones, Sammy Sosa etc all had issues with the Cubs letting them go, but it was all done for performance. Some of these athletes can't handle being told that their services aren't needed.

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/...illen-feud.html

Would have been nice if Ozzie had handled the issue as maturely as Francona did.

If so, this 'feud' would have been a non-issue 5 minutes after it started.

I wonder if Bobby is going to get boo'ed now when he comes back. Would love to see Paulie or AJ hand him a Blown Save.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
I wonder if Bobby is going to get boo'ed now when he comes back. Would love to see Paulie or AJ hand him a Blown Save.

I'd follow the same rule for anyone from the 2005 team.

First time out, he gets a standing ovation.

Every time after that, he's the guy we're trying to beat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)

I'm really on the fence about what my reaction would be. I would have surely given him a standing ovation prior to the comments he just made, but now I am not really sure. I think I would just sit quietly and not boo or cheer.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
Who else left here and bad mouthed the Sox? Seriously, it is way less than you make it out to be. Thome, Rowand, Garland, Blum, Garcia, Contreras, Linebrink, Iguchi, Crede, Uribe. As far as I know, none of them had a bad thing to say about the organization. OCab and Swish are the only 2 I know who had some issues and it was brought upon themselves. As for Dye, he was done and the rest of baseball agreed obviously and he was disgruntled with his declining skills more so than mad at the organization. Bobby is a sensitive prick and Ozzie is hot headed and defensive. I have no problem with Ozzie standing up for the organization. If Bobby plans on plunking a hitter, I guarentee their will be a brawl and it won't end pretty for Bobby.

Its not just players bad mouthing the Sox. The Sox are not unique when it comes to that. Players rip teams all the time. Its just rare teams have managers, GMs and manager's relatives who bad mouth the players right back. I know some will say good for them, but its pretty immature.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)

I hope the crowd gives him...

*crickets*

Honestly...this thing got way out of control...and Dad had to step in and say something.

"He showed up once a week to pitch," Guillen said. "We were loyal to him, played him. I was a very bad manager because I kept him as my closer when he couldn't (close).

This is from Gonzalez' article I think yesterday. I don't know whether to be pleased that Ozzie actually recognized that Jenks sucked last year and didn't just have blind faith that he'd turn it around, or to be pissed that he knew Jenks sucked and needed to be demoted but didn't do it for personal reasons.

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/...illen-feud.html

Would have been nice if Ozzie had handled the issue as maturely as Francona did.

If so, this 'feud' would have been a non-issue 5 minutes after it started.

I wonder if Francona would have been mature as you call it if one of his former pitchers said he couldn't manage a bullpen. It's easy to turn the other cheek when you have nothing personal involved.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
I wonder if Francona would have been mature as you call it if one of his former pitchers said he couldn't manage a bullpen. It's easy to turn the other cheek when you have nothing personal involved.

Good point, but we are blessed with Ozzie. I believe we can always assume he will react more quickly, honestly, with zero planning, and without any regard to PR.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 07:07 AM)
Man the season can't start soon enough. I'm tired of this story along with the "Carlos Quentin has learned to control his anger" story that is rehashed word for word every spring.

I especially enjoyed the "Lastings Milledge has grown up!" story.

"He showed up once a week to pitch," Guillen said. "We were loyal to him, played him. I was a very bad manager because I kept him as my closer when he couldn't (close). He's got to look himself in the mirror. Too bad. I still love his kids and wife. "

I think in this entire exchange this quote is the worst part. I always just asusmed Ozzie was crazy loyal but still felt that Jenks turning things around was crucial for our bullpen, not that he just threw a closer out there he knew had a 50% chance of blowing games.

Ozzie. Damn you for both making me love you and want to punch you.