2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

Sucker Punch has been absolutely ravaged by the critics and is hovering around 20% at Rotten Tomatoes.

Some of the most scathing reviews I've ever seen, most of them directed at Zach Snyder, naturally, and a few at Emily Browning, the lead actress, if you can even use that term in this movie. The only kind words have been for Abbie Cornish.

Saw Battle LA and was actually suprised it wasn't QUITE as bad as some have stated, Aaron Eckhart's not a bad action hero type at all and I always like Michael Pena, even though he's only a bit player here. And Brady made the right choice on Bridget Moynahan....she's not nearly as appealing as she used to be.

Win, Win looks like one of the few movies on the scene I'd like to see...and I suppose I'll give Limitless a look on DVD. Thankfully we're only about another month or so from an uptick in summer movies, because the box office is down nearly 20% from 2010 and sinking even further after this weekend, when How to Train Your Dragon dominated a year ago. It will be interesting to see if Sucker Punch or Diary of a Wimpy Kid wins out.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Sucker Punch has been absolutely ravaged by the critics and is hovering around 20% at Rotten Tomatoes.

Some of the most scathing reviews I've ever seen, most of them directed at Zach Snyder, naturally, and a few at Emily Browning, the lead actress, if you can even use that term in this movie. The only kind words have been for Abbie Cornish.

Saw Battle LA and was actually suprised it wasn't QUITE as bad as some have stated, Aaron Eckhart's not a bad action hero type at all and I always like Michael Pena, even though he's only a bit player here. And Brady made the right choice on Bridget Moynahan....she's not nearly as appealing as she used to be.

Win, Win looks like one of the few movies on the scene I'd like to see...and I suppose I'll give Limitless a look on DVD. Thankfully we're only about another month or so from an uptick in summer movies, because the box office is down nearly 20% from 2010 and sinking even further after this weekend, when How to Train Your Dragon dominated a year ago. It will be interesting to see if Sucker Punch or Diary of a Wimpy Kid wins out.

We're planning on checking out Win, Win tomorrow night.

EDIT: Loved it.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
Sucker Punch was more boring than anything else. Zack Snyder wouldn't know how to write a decent script if Syd Field himself shared his body.

I'm worried about the Superman movie now.

I 'm slightly slightly worried too about that. Although David Goyer who scripted Batman Begins is doing the script so that gives me some hope.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
Makes it look like same move but moved to Thailand. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Not surprised. This might still be funny but not impressed at all by that trailer and comedy sequels are generally disappointing and unoriginal.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
Makes it look like same move but moved to Thailand. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

You'd think they'd have tried to make it a bit different, jesus, way to make something awesome seem annoying now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
You'd think they'd have tried to make it a bit different, jesus, way to make something awesome seem annoying now.

This could still end up being hilarious, but this just comes off as incredibly unoriginal and a complete money grab which is what I expected from the beginning. I wasn't excited about the sequel from the minute it was announced for this exact reason.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
This could still end up being hilarious, but this just comes off as incredibly unoriginal and a complete money grab which is what I expected from the beginning. I wasn't excited about the sequel from the minute it was announced for this exact reason.

Would be funnier if they lost the bride instead of her brother. Maybe put her in some bikinis because Jamie Chung is mega hot.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 06:59 AM)
Has anyone seen Insidious? I've been hearing positive reviews from several of my friends.

I was gonna go today, but I'm too tired and lazy to get it in before the Sox game. My buddy, whose opinion is usually gold in respect to horror movies, said it was worth seeing at the theater. The worst I've read so far is that the ending is sort of a letdown, but the rest of the movie is supposed to be great.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
Has anyone seen Insidious? I've been hearing positive reviews from several of my friends.

Saw it last night. The first eighty percent of the movie is great. About as good and as fun as scary movies get. The final act though is pretty ridiculous. Still definitely worth seeing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
Watched Cyrus last night, starring John C Reilly, Marissa Tomei and Jonah Hill. I'd give it a B.

I give it an F. It was hard to get through. Had my roommate and I not rented the actual DVD from Netflix, and watched it streaming instead, we would have never finished it.

Last month I went to the true false film festival in columbia, mo and was able to catch the interrupters, the new doc by steve james of hoop dreams fame. I can't endorse it enough. Especially in Chicago, it should be a very important film. Now that i think it's showing some places up here, I thought i'd give it a shout out. Not as long as hoop dreams, and very, very powerful.