2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

Q: Will players use two touchscreen controllers or will they use just one new controller and the original Wii controls with the new console?

Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system. If we got to an idea of having multiple (controllers) it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that.

That being said, we are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friends house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/gaming/n...0#ixzz1PBwv6zo5

So...you can only use one WiiU controller.

What.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Wii U will feature a custom ATI chip that will be similar to those on a Radeon HD 4870.

That's 2-3 years behind, basically. There's already a 6800 series.

It's a hell of a lot better than what's in the PS3 and 360 right now, but for a system that will come out in a year, that's bad.

Once again, Nintendo chooses to not go state of the art.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-gr...h-is-still-pre/

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
The new Wii U will feature a custom ATI chip that will be similar to those on a Radeon HD 4870.

That's 2-3 years behind, basically. There's already a 6800 series.

It's a hell of a lot better than what's in the PS3 and 360 right now, but for a system that will come out in a year, that's bad.

Once again, Nintendo chooses to not go state of the art.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-gr...h-is-still-pre/

That would be like the PS3's selling point being "More powerul than GameCube!"

That's actually a lot more powerful than expected (although you can really tell nothing from that article). You guys are kidding yourselves if you honestly believe anyone anymore would be including top of line tech to be a selling point anymore. In fact, it never really was. PS360 are the exception. Every console before them used years old tech and I'd expect we start seeing the same again. The potential tech in these consoles evolve at too fast a rate to keep up, and even developers cannot make games that fully utilize them. Not to mention graphics haven't been the major selling point of the last two gens, so there is no point include top of the line stuff from a business standpoint. That's all not even bringing up that consoles are powerful enough that they are potentially going to start seeing diminishing returns in terms of graphics.

The Wii U looks about at least 2x faster than the 360 ( I don't really know how to compare it to the PS3). That's a ton of power, and more than enough to run the two top engines out there now. That's the biggest thing. Essentially, look at it as a PS2. If will likely drag behind the competition due to being released first, but games can still scaled down for it. That was not possible for the Wii.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
That's actually a lot more powerful than expected (although you can really tell nothing from that article). You guys are kidding yourselves if you honestly believe anyone anymore would be including top of line tech to be a selling point anymore. In fact, it never really was. PS360 are the exception. Every console before them used years old tech and I'd expect we start seeing the same again. The potential tech in these consoles evolve at too fast a rate to keep up, and even developers cannot make games that fully utilize them. Not to mention graphics haven't been the major selling point of the last two gens, so there is no point include top of the line stuff from a business standpoint. That's all not even bringing up that consoles are powerful enough that they are potentially going to start seeing diminishing returns in terms of graphics.

The Wii U looks about at least 2x faster than the 360 ( I don't really know how to compare it to the PS3). That's a ton of power, and more than enough to run the two top engines out there now. That's the biggest thing. Essentially, look at it as a PS2. If will likely drag behind the competition due to being released first, but games can still scaled down for it. That was not possible for the Wii.

It all depends on what the next Playstation or Xbox will feature. The new Battlefield game will be one of the first games to really push the newer generation video cards on PC.

It is not economical for the Wii U to feature a new gen. card given its expensive controller, but I feel like Microsoft and Sony will definitely put something a lot more powerful in their next gen. machines.

Cleaning out my room at home in preparation to move back from college and found my original Playstation with Twisted Metal 4 inside. I got SO pumped. Also found my Dreamcast.

Just read that there's a new Twisted Metal coming out for PS3. f***ETH YES!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
It all depends on what the next Playstation or Xbox will feature. The new Battlefield game will be one of the first games to really push the newer generation video cards on PC.

It is not economical for the Wii U to feature a new gen. card given its expensive controller, but I feel like Microsoft and Sony will definitely put something a lot more powerful in their next gen. machines.

Battlefield looks absolutely gorgeous from everything ive seen.. that engine is incredible

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)

Um, no. I'm sorry, that's not true. Since the PS2 came out graphics have always been a major selling point, from Halo to Uncharted to Crysis to LA Noire. They just have to find new ways to make it more realistic.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)

Agreed,

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
Battlefield looks absolutely gorgeous from everything ive seen.. that engine is incredible

Double agreed. That engine may be the best I've ever seen.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
The Core has spoken. The WiiU has failed. lol

It's almost comical what to expect in this thread sometimes. Anything Nintendo will be feverishly hyped and backed by Kyle, and the rest will pretty much immediately denounce it.

I, personally, don't care about the new Nintendo, as they haven't launched a system since the 64 with which I've been pleased. The PS3, save all the fun network issues lately, has been the most surprisingly updated and useful piece of video gaming technology I've ever used, so I'll probably stick with Sony.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
It's almost comical what to expect in this thread sometimes. Anything Nintendo will be feverishly hyped and backed by Kyle, and the rest will pretty much immediately denounce it.

I, personally, don't care about the new Nintendo, as they haven't launched a system since the 64 with which I've been pleased. The PS3, save all the fun network issues lately, has been the most surprisingly updated and useful piece of video gaming technology I've ever used, so I'll probably stick with Sony.

whoa, there is no feverish here. I said I was excited about it, but thats about it. I see people killing this system a year before it even hits the shelves, and it seems like people like Quinarvy are almost threatened that this system is coming and cant step over themselves fast enough to tell everyone it sucks. It very well might suck, I can accept that. Nintendo has massively disappointed me in the past, they let gravy train pass them by at the end of N64 all the way through the gamecube, and struck gold with the Wii with the casual gamer and motion controls.

Now they want to appeal to the bigger market, and that is something I would love to see. There are so many things that are supposed to go into this system, I want to see what they have before I decide that I want it. But there has been no feverish about it, I have spent considerably less time defending it than cw42 and Quinarvy have done ripping it.

I barely hype anything Nintendo on this board, every once in a while I will talk about a game I get that i enjoy, like Lost in Shadow and De Blob2, but nobody here cares so there isnt much of a discussion.

I'd include my Xbox live ID in my profile but you guys all seem to have PS3s. :P

I'm looking forward to Skrim, but that not until Nov. As for right now, still grinding out the last 2 achievments for FFXiii. I spent entirely way too much of my time on Castlevania HOD. Probally going to continue doing so.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
whoa, there is no feverish here. I said I was excited about it, but thats about it. I see people killing this system a year before it even hits the shelves, and it seems like people like Quinarvy are almost threatened that this system is coming and cant step over themselves fast enough to tell everyone it sucks. It very well might suck, I can accept that. Nintendo has massively disappointed me in the past, they let gravy train pass them by at the end of N64 all the way through the gamecube, and struck gold with the Wii with the casual gamer and motion controls.

Now they want to appeal to the bigger market, and that is something I would love to see. There are so many things that are supposed to go into this system, I want to see what they have before I decide that I want it. But there has been no feverish about it, I have spent considerably less time defending it than cw42 and Quinarvy have done ripping it.

I barely hype anything Nintendo on this board, every once in a while I will talk about a game I get that i enjoy, like Lost in Shadow and De Blob2, but nobody here cares so there isnt much of a discussion.

I think you took more offense to that than intended. I look forward to reviews of other products, you are just the resident Nintendnerd. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
I think you took more offense to that than intended. I look forward to reviews of other products, you are just the resident Nintendnerd. :lolhitting

to that I fully admit to. I grew up on Mario and Zelda, hard to break it

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Good I was feeling a little alone in defending them. There are reasons to dislike Nintendo, but I feel people in this thread are picking the wrong ones.

You guys are all about the specs and hardware, I am about playing the game, i just want it to be fun for me. There are plenty of games I love on the Wii, and I know that there are plenty of games I would love on the 360 and PS3, but I have neither the money nor inclination to go and buy all of the different consoles and games to try everything out there. The Wii was 1. cost efficient for me, 2. good for the franchise games I love(Mario/Zelda/Kart/Party/Wiiplay) and 3. a company I grew up playing that allowed me to play the games I grew up playing through the virtual console. I understand I could download an emulator and play those games, but I enjoy playing the original Donkey Kong and Pac-man and SMB1 and 3 on the Wii with my daughter.

Hopefully WiiU knocks my socks off. I have reservations about it, there were plenty of moments of owning the Wii where I thought opportunities were completely missed and things could have been better, but it is what it is.

Plus, nobody stole my credit card info ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
to that I fully admit to. I grew up on Mario and Zelda, hard to break it

I grew up with the same games. There are some fun games on the Wii, no doubt, but I'm very much a controller in hand type. Hence why I have zero interest to pick up the Move. I also care way too much about graphics.

Edited by Steve9347

I just picked up Infamous 2, which has a promo code for early access to the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta. Since I've never played any of the Uncharted games and have no desire to, PM me if you're interested in using the code. I'll send the info to the first person who asks for it.

Edit: Taken, that didn't take long.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)

I barely hype anything Nintendo on this board, every once in a while I will talk about a game I get that i enjoy, like Lost in Shadow and De Blob2, but nobody here cares so there isnt much of a discussio

Side note: Part of my quick attacks (heh, nintendo pun) was because I am still waiting for a damn Star Fox. That and I felt burned by the Wii's whole "super casual fun!" approach. I've almost bought a Wii many times, but saw no point because it wouldn't support games I enjoy. That's why I'm a skeptic.

Also, because what has Nintendo done game-wise that's been different? Oh look, a new Zelda. Oh look, a new Metroid. Mario. Pokemon (biggest offender). Kirby. All same paper-thin story (Zelda gets more of a slide there) or same story rehashed. Could they try a new IP where the main character isn't a Mii?

I feel like Nintendo just really doesn't care about trying to do anything new game-wise, hence why I slammed the controller on first seeing it, because until Nintendo does something new and not safe (software wise), I can't get behind anything they do or say. When Nintendo releases their own Uncharted, I'll pay attention. While I'd love another Jak game (still would), Uncharted was something all new.

Also, stumbled upon this: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/8A48KG/www.e...lu-ray-playback

Edited by Quinarvy

You mention nintendo games having a paper thin story. Honestly, there hasn't been a single video game that I gave a s*** about the story. It's all about gameplay, and nintendo usually brings games that are extremely fun to play.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
You mention nintendo games having a paper thin story. Honestly, there hasn't been a single video game that I gave a s*** about the story. It's all about gameplay, and nintendo usually brings games that are extremely fun to play.

There in-lies a huge difference.

I love good stories in video games, that make me feel sympathy or anger or joy. Mass Effect, Jak and Daxter, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Gameplay is huge, but when you meld an actual storyline to great gameplay? You get not just games, but pieces of art at the same time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
You guys are all about the specs and hardware, I am about playing the game, i just want it to be fun for me. There are plenty of games I love on the Wii, and I know that there are plenty of games I would love on the 360 and PS3, but I have neither the money nor inclination to go and buy all of the different consoles and games to try everything out there. The Wii was 1. cost efficient for me, 2. good for the franchise games I love(Mario/Zelda/Kart/Party/Wiiplay) and 3. a company I grew up playing that allowed me to play the games I grew up playing through the virtual console. I understand I could download an emulator and play those games, but I enjoy playing the original Donkey Kong and Pac-man and SMB1 and 3 on the Wii with my daughter.

Hopefully WiiU knocks my socks off. I have reservations about it, there were plenty of moments of owning the Wii where I thought opportunities were completely missed and things could have been better, but it is what it is.

Plus, nobody stole my credit card info ;)

Hey, I don't disagree with you. Nintendo's 1st party stuff absolutely destroys what any other company can bring to the table. But it is clear their 3rd party stuff has been lacking for 3 generations now. That's why I'm adamant about defending the Wii U. They seem like they are focused on getting 3rd parties back. I don't see a reason to hate on the Wii U just yet, especially when we know very little about it. But the plans seem to be in place. (and on a side not, it's hardware is looking pretty damn good too...from what little we know of it).