Ozzie Roast

PeavyTime

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Oney's girl did it so it's not a knock on Ozzie? Sure. Oney's "girl" is just following suit. Most people would never throw a brick through a store window and then come running out with a new TV, but when they see the rest of the city doing it suddenly there's no issue anymore. Same thing. Ozzie's lack of parental action has created a playground atmosphere for the Guillen family and all the little hangers-on that follow it. The punishment for Oney and his "girl" is probably to sit out of the kickball game at recess.

I'm tired of hearing this "he's responsible for his own life" stuff. Does anyone actually believe that? If your father or son had such an extremely prestigious and lucrative position would you really be so careless as to act like that, knowing it could be to his own detriment? And even if you didn't think of that at first, and you acted like an idiot and got your son/father in trouble, and then were told afterwards that you f***ed up big time and could have cost that person dearly, would you show up *again* and repeat the process? Clearly Ozzie's job is to take charge here. If this were Jay Marriotti saying these things you can bet your ass Ozzie would be all over him, but he's not, he's his little b**** son, so he lets it slide. Ozzie is the one with the power here, and if he wants to have Oney banned from the building because Oney needs to be banned from the building, then security will be happy to help. If Ozzie wants to have Oney stop running his little b**** mouth on Twitter then he can take away his allowance, his car, his cell, everything. But Ozzie doesn't care enough apparently. This is really getting annoying. It's not even ST yet and we've already had two Oney dramas ruining s***.

This ^

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
I just want to point out that 2 pages into this topic, and the next day after it was posted, I cannot find a single item anywhere on the web talking about this. Not one, other than here.

Source?

If Cowley was the only reporter there, he sure as heck isn't going to say anything. That is his bread and butter.

I was there - it happened right in front of me. The guy was a jerk. He said something disgusting to the girl and she justifiably slapped him. It was over in an instant and I didn't hear Ozzie say anything objectionable. That said - Oney is an embarrassment.

If a guy said to me what the jerk said to Oney's girlfriend, my husband would have hit him, very hard.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
you're oblivious to the world around you it seems

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
You mean like Konerko, Thornton, and Beckham all saying they're sick of the distractions and the soap opera?

Oblivious to the world around me? Because I don't think this was (is) a big deal? Why is this a big deal? Give me one reason.

And to Fathom's comment, Paulie would be long gone if he thought this was a problem. He had a chance to leave and didn't. That to me indicates he does not loathe Ozzie or the soap opera. I don't recall Thornton's quotes being outrageous. Didn't see Beckham's.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:46 AM)
Oblivious to the world around me? Because I don't think this was (is) a big deal? Why is this a big deal? Give me one reason.

And to Fathom's comment, Paulie would be long gone if he thought this was a problem. He had a chance to leave and didn't. That to me indicates he does not loathe Ozzie or the soap opera. I don't recall Thornton's quotes being outrageous. Didn't see Beckham's.

PAUL KONERKO SAID IT WAS A DISTRACTION! He said this on B&B the day he signed. Did you just choose to not read the comments everyone posted about the interview the day it was held? Thornton was furious about Oney's comments about Jenks. As Rock has said, Thornton is a pretty good indicator of what the clubhouse thinks as he's a great player, person, and teammate. Beckham in the last few weeks said that the team really needs the soap opera nonsense to stop so that they have no excuses if they don't get it done this year.

Edited by fathom

Maybe your points on Thornton and Beckham support your position on this.

But Paulie had the power to leave and didn't. That's an overall indicator that things in his world are fine.

I think this is all stupid. Most teams have placid managers.

Ozzie and Piniella are two of the rare ones who steal headlines with things they say. What's wrong with that? I'll take interesting over dull media bullies any day.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
Maybe your points on Thornton and Beckham support your position on this.

But Paulie had the power to leave and didn't. That's an overall indicator that things in his world are fine.

I think this is all stupid. Most teams have placid managers.

Ozzie and Piniella are two of the rare ones who steal headlines with things they say. What's wrong with that? I'll take interesting over dull media bullies any day.

PK also indicated it took him to get more money to get him to stay than it would've to leave to the DBacks. I think the quote was he was ready to settle for the Dbacks at 10 million until the Sox game him 13 mil a season. And PK's whole thing was the Ozzie sctick going on all season with KW. So PK stayed, but it was for the money more than it was for anything else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
PAUL KONERKO SAID IT WAS A DISTRACTION! He said this on B&B the day he signed. Did you just choose to not read the comments everyone posted about the interview the day it was held? Thornton was furious about Oney's comments about Jenks. As Rock has said, Thornton is a pretty good indicator of what the clubhouse thinks as he's a great player, person, and teammate. Beckham in the last few weeks said that the team really needs the soap opera nonsense to stop so that they have no excuses if they don't get it done this year.

For what it's worth, I know a few of these guys well enough that they tell me off the air exactly what they think about a lot of different situations (quite a bit of stuff would surprise you, quite truthfully). And I can honestly tell you that every one of them truly doesn't care about the "distraction" stuff with Ozzie/KW/Jerry etc. I mean, they know it happens, they're aware of it, but it doesn't really affect them.

Also, I need to hear that Konerko conversation again, because I didn't take it as dramatically as a lot of people seem to. At the time of the interview, I remember thinking that he wasn't trying to say exactly the way it was perceived, but now I can't remember everything he said or the entire context. Like I said, I need to hear the whole thing again and maybe I'll remember.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:24 AM)
For what it's worth, I know a few of these guys well enough that they tell me off the air exactly what they think about a lot of different situations (quite a bit of stuff would surprise you, quite truthfully). And I can honestly tell you that every one of them truly doesn't care about the "distraction" stuff with Ozzie/KW/Jerry etc. I mean, they know it happens, they're aware of it, but it doesn't really affect them.

In the end I think people who are so outspoken in their dislike for Guillen are just pissed that he put Mark Kotsay in the lineup on a regular basis.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
In the end I think people who are so outspoken in their dislike for Guillen are just pissed that he put Mark Kotsay in the lineup on a regular basis.

That's a perfect way to describe my disliking for Ozzie. I'm no longer outspoken about it though. I've learned to just live with the fact that he's our manager and he's probably here to stay for a while.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
That's a perfect way to describe my disliking for Ozzie. I'm no longer outspoken about it though. I've learned to just live with the fact that he's our manager and he's probably here to stay for a while.

The thing is, I'm fine with it too....as long as he keeps Oney away from everything relating to the organization.

I don't think Oney challenging people to a fight on twitter and his girlfriend hitting some guy in the face is a distraction at all FWIW, so this isn't a big story to me. The issue is when the Guillen family madness gets into baseball related stuff. I think Ozzie and KW will keep quiet and play nice this season (unless it goes badly, which I don't anticipate since I really like this team), but it's clear you cant put a muzzle on Oney so in his case, just hold your breath.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
I just want to point out that 2 pages into this topic, and the next day after it was posted, I cannot find a single item anywhere on the web talking about this. Not one, other than here.

Source?

They are talking about it on the Score this morning.

It is kind of funny that no one seems to have noticed that Ozzie might have learned his lesson or at least that Oney went so far this time that even his dad didn't have his back.

Since the whole Jenks Oney thing started, Ozzie has kept his mouth shut. Even when asked fairly direct questions, he took the high road regarding Jenks's comments and has been very tight lipped about Oney, only going so far as saying that the twitter comments crossed the line. Beyond that, he has been persona non grata on this whole fiasco. Maybe he is letting Oney be his mouth or maybe he knows he needs to keep Oney at arms length and just keep his comments related to managing the team.

As far as the roast goes, Oney is still his son and was going to at least be invited and possibly have a part of the evening's events. It is not as if Ozzie would ban him from such a social event. I am not sure if Ozzie even planned the roast lineup. I am catiously optimistic that Ozzie has handled this behind closed doors and it will stay there.

Everafan just posted of being right there and seeing the whole thing and that the heckler deserved it so I'm unclear what the controversy here is. I don't think anybody agrees that Oney's a tool, but I'm not sure why this incident is being used to indict Ozzie.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
Everafan just posted of being right there and seeing the whole thing and that the heckler deserved it so I'm unclear what the controversy here is. I don't think anybody agrees that Oney's a tool, but I'm not sure why this incident is being used to indict Ozzie.

You don't?

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE thinks Oney's a f***ing tool, because he is.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)

A poster on WSI says he was there sitting right next to the kid who got slapped. Here's how he described it: "I sat right next to the kid that got slapped by Oney's skank and tossed out for doing almost nothing."

So we have a descrepancy as to how bad whatever the heckler said was. But there's no disputing the facts that a guy was heckling Oney at a roast when Oney's girlfriend went out of her way to walk across the room and confront, then slap the guy. Then he gets thrown out but apparently not her. Oney then tweets in what I guess was supposed to be a threat that he's waiting outside for anyone that had the audacity to boo him at a roast.

Then apparently Ozzie, instead of ignoring the incident uses the microphone to curse at the heckler then call him a "Southsider" in a derogatory manner.

It wouldn't be too big a deal if this was an isolated incident but it's just one more time that Oney/Ozzie have been involved in a public display of poor behavior.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
A poster on WSI says he was there sitting right next to the kid who got slapped. Here's how he described it: "I sat right next to the kid that got slapped by Oney's skank and tossed out for doing almost nothing."

So we have a descrepancy as to how bad whatever the heckler said was. But there's no disputing the facts that a guy was heckling Oney at a roast when Oney's girlfriend went out of her way to walk across the room and confront, then slap the guy. Then he gets thrown out but apparently not her. Oney then tweets in what I guess was supposed to be a threat that he's waiting outside for anyone that had the audacity to boo him at a roast.

Then apparently Ozzie, instead of ignoring the incident uses the microphone to curse at the heckler then call him a "Southsider" in a derogatory manner.

It wouldn't be too big a deal if this was an isolated incident but it's just one more time that Oney/Ozzie have been involved in a public display of poor behavior.