Humber

Heads22

Can we wait until he fails for us until we pronounce him crap? I understand people are tentative about him as our fifth starter, but, god, it's not like we've ever turned around a former first round top prospect by getting him into our system.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
Can we wait until he fails for us until we pronounce him crap? I understand people are tentative about him as our fifth starter, but, god, it's not like we've ever turned around a former first round top prospect by getting him into our system.

If a crazy, suicidal f*** jumps off the top of the Sears Tower (I will never refer to it as the Willis Tower), I don't have to wait until he/she hits the ground to no that fool is dead. s***ty analogy. But same difference. I know you're an optimist. I have no problem with that. It's a natural tendency to think the team that you cheer for and love can do something with a player(s) that nobody else could. But those that are not drinking the kool-aid just because said player happens to be a White Sox shouldn't be looked upon as evil demons that just like to be negative for the sake of being negative. I've said this many times before. If the Cubs were set to insert Humber into their rotation EVERY single poster on this board, and that includes you SS2K5 and JoeCool, would be laughing their asses off. This is undeniable fact. Now if somehow, someway, Humber pulls a horseshoe out his ass and is even serviceable, great. It won't make me feel stupid for not expecting a thing from him this year. He's done nothing in his career, outside of being a high draft pick sever years ago, that warrants any type of faith.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
If a crazy, suicidal f*** jumps off the top of the Sears Tower (I will never refer to it as the Willis Tower), I don't have to wait until he/she hits the ground to no that fool is dead. s***ty analogy. But same difference. I know you're an optimist. I have no problem with that. It's a natural tendency to think the team that you cheer for and love can do something with a player(s) that nobody else could. But those that are not drinking the kool-aid just because said player happens to be a White Sox shouldn't be looked upon as evil demons that just like to be negative for the sake of being negative. I've said this many times before. If the Cubs were set to insert Humber into their rotation EVERY single poster on this board, and that includes you SS2K5 and JoeCool, would be laughing their asses off. This is undeniable fact. Now if somehow, someway, Humber pulls a horseshoe out his ass and is even serviceable, great. It won't make me feel stupid for not expecting a thing from him this year. He's done nothing in his career, outside of being a high draft pick sever years ago, that warrants any type of faith.

True, you don't need to have faith, but until he does something to prove that he's not serviceable, there's no reason to repeatedly s*** all over the guy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:19 AM)

it wouldn't make you stupid at all if he happened to succeed. just wrong.

I've been on with J4L on this one the whole time. There is nothing in the numbers nor scouting reports that has ever impressed me about Humber. I think he is going to be a poor man's DJ Carrasco at best, and DJ Carrasco wasn't exactly for the wealthy (or whatever). Maybe he's figured something out or maybe the coaching staff knows something I don't - well they know quite a few things I don't, so that much is very true - but I'm not counting on anything, and I'm not going to be excited about him.

For you though Heads, I will stop s***ting on him until/if he blows up.

Now, let's all do the same thing with Chris Sale in regards to him pitching out of the bullpen this year and the rotation next year, eh?

I think the reason that people think you should give him the benefit of the doubt is "Hes done nothing".

We are all Sox fans, we all want the Sox to win, regardless of how realistic or foolish that expectation may be. I remember years pre-2005 when we were excited about guys who never even had close to the reputation that Humber once did.

Ill go back to parts unknown, but its preseason now is the time to hope for the best. Youll have alll year to knock Humber if he sucks.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:22 AM)
True, you don't need to have faith, but until he does something to prove that he's not serviceable, there's no reason to repeatedly s*** all over the guy.

I really like the ignore feature on soxtalk but i wish it would remove their threads whenever someone is replying to them... as was the case here with Heads... Since you reply to the guy - I have to read his nonsense. Well, actually - not read - just denote as unworthy and move on from.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)

I hope you've included me because I think Humber can be a decent 5th starter, and not because you think I'm a Cubs hater of some sorts, because I'm not.

I said it when we signed him, and I still believe it. Humber can be a decent 5th starter while Jake is out. In my opinion, that means an ERA around 5.00 or less. I don't think that's out of reach at all.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
I really like the ignore feature on soxtalk but i wish it would remove their threads whenever someone is replying to them... as was the case here with Heads... Since you reply to the guy - I have to read his nonsense. Well, actually - not read - just denote as unworthy and move on from.

Why does this dude think anybody gives a s*** that he has me/us/them or whatever on ignore? He mentions it every 12 seconds.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
Why does this dude think anybody gives a s*** that he has me/us/them or whatever on ignore? He mentions it every 12 seconds.

The ignore feature is pathetic. Wahhhhhhh... i can't handle hearing something i don't like or disagree with. Wahhhhh... so and so is so vulgar... wahhhhhh... so and so is so annoying and stupid. Such is life. Deal with it and move on. Not everyone can coward into a corner and not deal with what is at hand. Well they could i suppose, but nothing would get resolved, and it would be nothing short of disgraceful.

Ignoring someone is just letting them get their way. You are being fed right into their hands. Hilarious.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
The ignore feature is pathetic. Wahhhhhhh... i can't handle hearing something i don't like or disagree with. Wahhhhh... so and so is so vulgar... wahhhhhh... so and so is so annoying and stupid. Such is life. Deal with it and move on. Not everyone can coward into a corner and not deal with what is at hand. Well they could i suppose, but nothing would get resolved, and it would be nothing short of disgraceful.

Ignoring someone is just letting them get their way. You are being fed right into their hands. Hilarious.

It's his right. You couldn't pay me to care. I just don't get why he keeps mentioning it. Like he thinks he's hurting somebody's feelings. Getting on Heads for quoting me because he has to see what I posted? Get a fricken life.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)

j4l and sqwerty = IGNORED

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
j4l and sqwerty = IGNORED

In the future i will make sure to make as many posts as possible in which i quote someone... so at the very least you can still see my avatar.

Btw, joemancool could come up with a wittier diss than sqwerty. At the very least you could have gotten in a better last jab than something as juvenile as that.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:15 AM)
In the future i will make sure to make as many posts as possible in which i quote someone... so at the very least you can still see my avatar.

Btw, joemancool could come up with a wittier diss than sqwerty. At the very least you could have gotten in a better last jab than something as juvenile as that.

:unsure:

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:15 AM)

I was j/k

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
The important part is to be the first to do it, so that you can say I told you so later on...

And always predict failure because many more players fail than succeed. This way you have a much better chance of being correct.

this is less about Humber than it is the atrocity that is the farm system right now. Theres absolutely nothing close to being ready on the bump that is even half promising....I don't have a problem really with the way kenny trades prospects, as long as the efflux is balanced by a solid influx of new talent. unfortunately, while we have produced a couple good prospects from recent drafts, there is absolutely 0 depth. Sale is a reliever now, and Hudson is gone. Its pathetic that the best option for the 5th spot in the rotation is a guy we picked up off the scrap heap who has a career 4.49 ERA in the minors.