Complete White Sox draft and signings list

southsider2k5

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
If there's not going to be a strict slotting system then there needs to at least be a luxury tax of some sort imposed on teams who spend, spend, spend on amateur players both in the Rule-4 and internationally. I don't know how such a system would work, but a team like the Red Sox should be forced to play by the same rules.

If there is no max slot per round or whatever, there should at least be a max total budget allowed for all the amateur signings combined, and the system should go based on record. For example, you finish 25-30th in the league the previous season and you get to spend up to the max, but if you finish with a top-5 record in baseball then you get the tiniest budget possible. And any team that goes over pays dollar-for-dollar to the rest of the league. Or maybe do something similar with picks instead of money.

Please explain how you would get this past the Players Association.

And yet again-White Sox spend the least amount of money in the draft this year. I know you didn't have a first round pick, so allocate that money to be used for tough signings and on the international front which we never do. What surprised me this year is that they went over MLB slot recommendations on 5 draft picks, but it wasn't a huge substantial amount. Also, we went below the slot recommendations on 5 of our draft picks including our 4th round draft pick which looks like to be a wasted pick on an injured reliever. Come on Jerry and Kenny change your philosophy on the farm system.

Edited by PolishPrince34

First, the Sox spending the least money is meaningless. Cut out the other teams' first round picks and then compare - then it actually tells you something.

Second, as in articles I have seen, I agree the Sox draft looks pretty decent on first glance. The last few seasons the Sox have been improving in their drafting, in my view. And good to see they signed so many of their picks this year as well.

Of course we won't really know how the draft was for another year or two.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
First, the Sox spending the least money is meaningless. Cut out the other teams' first round picks and then compare - then it actually tells you something.

Second, as in articles I have seen, I agree the Sox draft looks pretty decent on first glance. The last few seasons the Sox have been improving in their drafting, in my view. And good to see they signed so many of their picks this year as well.

I think the thought is that they could have still spent that money on the draft.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
I think the thought is that they could have still spent that money on the draft.

Why? You only spend the extra money when it gets you something. The Sox signed a remarkable percentage of their first 30+ picks (30 of 33), leaving only a couple notable ones out - one in the Top 10 (Gardeck at 8) and two in the next 10 (Krist, Ginther). So, the question really is, would the extra money have landed any of those? Has anyone seen any indication as such? Further, is the money better used on one of them, or on a player we acquired for this year on the major league roster? the fact that they signed 30 of their top 33 says they probably DID spread some extra money around.

Someone tell me about Gardeck or Krist, for example. Are they high potential, tough-sign guys that anyone has heard might have signed for a few more dollars?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)

We don't spend a lot on the draft in a good year. Add to that the payroll misery going on with the big club right now, and that was a recipe for cheapness. With the way the Sox run, you'd have to cut payroll at the major leageu level to get it for the draft.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Wow, Nats sign Purke! It makes me sad tonight to see all these teams spending money on these tough signs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
Wow, hell of a night for Pirates in signing Josh Bell

I had no idea either of these guys had signed. Wow indeed. I love what the Pirates are doing. And the Nats? Jesus. The potential (let me emphasize the word 'potential' so Balta and Shack can't accuse me of overrating every single non-White Sox prospect) of that team being a powerhouse in a few years is immense.

The Pirates set a draft record by spending $17,005,700 on bonuses. Counting money in big league deals, the Nationals spent more than that: $17,602,100. The White Sox spent the least of any team on the draft: $2,756,300 on bonuses. The Marlins came in 23rd in bonus spending at $4,135,000.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/...on-on-11-draft/

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
The Chicago papers should be blasting the White Sox for there lack of foresight and investment in the minor leagues.

I've sought the insight of many of the beat guys, and I receive such well thought out justifications as "they don't pick high in rounds, so they don't have to spend that much."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
The Chicago papers should be blasting the White Sox for there lack of foresight and investment in the minor leagues.

You need to remember that the everyday baseball fan doesn't follow nor care about the draft or 95% of the minor league system. Unless its a Viciedo type who can make a difference in Chicago, most people won't pay attention, so it gives no reason for the media to talk about it either.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
I've sought the insight of many of the beat guys, and I receive such well thought out justifications as "they don't pick high in rounds, so they don't have to spend that much."

Boston and the Yankees usually draft after the White Sox and they spend more money. I really don't have any issue with not spending money on signing bonuses as long as you're signing the guys you are drafting and you are not just drafting them because of signability. The only issues I would have is if some of these guys who other teams drafted in later rounds but signed for first round money were high on the Sox board but they didn't draft them because they didn't want to spend money. In other words, there are first round guys available who drop because of money. Its one way a team without a first round pick can actually draft one.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
Might be worth posting, but MLB teams spent $236 million total on this year's draft class. The White Sox accounted for only 1.2% of that total amount, spending a paltry $2.78 million.

Focus on the Sox all you want, but that's not the number that stands out to me. $236 million sounds like a broken system to me.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
Focus on the Sox all you want, but that's not the number that stands out to me. $236 million sounds like a broken system to me.

Indeed, and their is no clear-cut fix to the system. I'll be shocked if hard-slotting becomes a reality. I hope it doesn't in fact, as it will end up hurting many of the smaller market teams that have a huge need to be able to develop talent internally.