Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
He has to have the greatest publicist in the world

He just annoys me now. We don't need your ass in the bullpen, jake. Just like we don't need you to try and be Leonardo Dicaprio and 'sacrifice' yourself and play hero when ultimately you're gonna end up on the DL again (has it been 4 times since we acquired him?), anyway.

Clearly, I am in the small minority that likes Peavy. He can really pitch, he has that burning desire we have all found lacking in others, and he does work his ass off. Yes, he should have been better about rest/rehab a few times, but usually we commend athletes who want to get back in the game and it is up to coaches and managers to make the right call as to when and how athletes are used in their sport. Yes, he is paid right now more than what any of us would think he is worth (financially or competitively), but who among us would tell whoever writes our check, "Sorry, but could you reduce that amount by 50%?" He had a negotiated contract to get paid to do his best at his profession. I don't think any of us think he is trying to do less than his best. Finally, he seems to me, as I have heard and read his comments, like a decent family guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
Of course, I'm of the opinion that in the long run this year, we're a better team without Jake Peavy on the roster.

I don't disagree with you often but wholeheartedly disagree here. We have no "ace" without the REAL JFP on the mound this year. My guess your thinking is we'd be better off knowing he won't be here so we can just focus on business at hand rather than consistently talk about when he's going to be back from the DL time and time again?

Come on. I have zero belief that Jake will be back in any helpful capacity, but giving him a shot in the pen if he comes back is a no lose situation. He clearly can't remain healthy with starter innings, so why not try something new? The money's a sunk cost regardless.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:07 AM)
No. No. No. We're paying him to start. Go back to 6 man, move Edwin to the pen, whatever.

I just hope this isn't an admission from Jake that he himself isn't sure he can stay healthy as a starter...

The problem with moving someone else to the bullpen in favor of Jake is that when he hurts himself again, you're going to have to move that bullpen pitcher back into the rotation again. Not a good idea to be bouncing someone back and forth like that.

Which means you basically have to put Jake there or stick with a 6 man rotation when Jake gets back.

For this reason, Fathom makes a really good point about whether or not JP actually helps us by being healthy at all.

Well, let's think about it rather than just getting angry.

It solves the "6 man rotation" and "Jackson stinks in the first inning" problems.

It hurts the team if they wind up needing a spot starter though, if they have to give up any offdays. And with his injury history, you don't want to be moving him back and forth and back and forth.

If he's willign to go out there, I'd probably do it. It probably gives us the best chance to win this season.

I don't get what is so wrong about this and why people are so upset with Jake. He is clearly dying to help the team in any capacity that he can. He wants to win and he wants to be a part of it, that much is evident. Is putting him in the bullpen the wisest decision? I'd say probably not. But it's hard for me to fault the guy for willing to perform in whatever capacity the club deems fit. Most pitchers would never offer to go to the bullpen no matter what. Complain all you want about his propensity to get injured (and it's a legitimate complaint), but at least to me there is nothing to say badly about his character. I really have no problem with him saying this at all.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
I don't get what is so wrong about this and why people are so upset with Jake. He is clearly dying to help the team in any capacity that he can. He wants to win and he wants to be a part of it, that much is evident. Is putting him in the bullpen the wisest decision? I'd say probably not. But it's hard for me to fault the guy for willing to perform in whatever capacity the club deems fit. Most pitchers would never offer to go to the bullpen no matter what. Complain all you want about his propensity to get injured (and it's a legitimate complaint), but at least to me there is nothing to say badly about his character. I really have no problem with him saying this at all.

At this point, regardless of what Peavy does, there is a group of posters who are going to dump on him for his contract and injuries. They've got a point, he is always hurt, so no matter what he says, it's bad because he's always hurt.