1. 1. What happens over the ASB?

• Ozzie fired
    • Walker fired
    • KW fired
    • Cooper fired (lulz)
    • Someone resigns
    • Nothing happens
    • Unicorns appear on the south side, fart glitter

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
The only team that has the money to absorb Rios and another pitcher now is the Yankees.

Its such a big contract and they have no place for Rios anyway. I don't think the Yankees would take his contract if you just GAVE them Danks. I think the Yankees are over the threshold, so a guy like Rios would really cost almost $20 million a year. Boston can't add payroll for that very reason.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better just to get the best possible prospects back for Danks...and hope/pray Rios can rebound (AGAIN). With Gardner, Granderson, Swisher and Jones, I can't see how/why they'd actually have any need for Rios.

Mike Lowell was the 3B for the Marlins who had a very good run with the Red Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

You can fantasiza all you want but NO team is gonna take Rios, Dunn or Peavy off the Sox hands. That's ridiculous to even think of it.

First of all, Peavy isn't healthy. So, what bone-headed GM would make a trade for an enormously expensive injured pitcher? Oops!

Secondly, although Dunn will hit better eventually, he never would have been worth the contract the Sox gave him in the first place plus a number 1 draft pick? No team is gonna pick that up especially until he rakes for a while and then the Sox won't want to deal him.

Rios contract is just too long for any team to take that on. Not gonna happen.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
The more things change the more things stay the same. So nothing will change, but in response we will be better or worse in the second half. Because if things changed they'd stay the same, you see.

Hey Yogi, it's awesome that you post in ST!!

If something was going to happen it would've happened by now, so I guess we're stuck waiting to the trade deadline. Sounds like Reinsdorf has so far vetoed any firings that KW wanted to make, so not sure how much to blame kw for no movement.

While I'm hoping for a turnaround I seriously doubt that 4 days off is going to spin this team in a new direction.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
If something was going to happen it would've happened by now, so I guess we're stuck waiting to the trade deadline. Sounds like Reinsdorf has so far vetoed any firings that KW wanted to make, so not sure how much to blame kw for no movement.

While I'm hoping for a turnaround I seriously doubt that 4 days off is going to spin this team in a new direction.

Where did you hear/see that?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Actually the sentiment is not true. Usually there is a blackout on that stuff until after the ASG, so that nothing takes away from it.

Aha well that would make sense.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 03:15 AM)
Dunn had an awful stretch and he's shown signs of breaking out. Even if he does, there is a good chance he'll end up with a down season for power numbers and a career high K total just because he does that on a regular basis anyway, and he's already racked up quite a few of them, even if he remembers himself all of a sudden. I don't blame Williams for signing him, and people who call for KW's head based on this signing are lying to themselves. It just hasn't worked out yet for reasons no one foresaw.
Breaking out? 3 for his last 45, and most recently 1 for 23. He is shattering the very concept of the Mendoza line. This is more than just a little slump. I can't remember anything quite like it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
I'm not saying anything will happen mind you... Just that it isn't strange that nothing has happened yet.

Yeah I gotcha. I didnt even think about that possibility that there would be some sort of stoppage for moves. Makes sense though.

i doubt anything happens over the break. from a p.r. standpoint it's difficult to go from "all in" to folding your hand when your five games out.

don't get me wrong, i don't see this team going anywhere, but it's easy to see where a competitive gm finds a rationale for not blowing the thing up at this moment.

i think the 12 games after the break (detroit, kc, cleveland, detroit) probably determines his next move.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Where did you hear/see that?

Oh man, I'll have to dig it up, but it was something I read last week suggesting that KW wanted to fire a coach but Reinsdorf was reluctant. Let me look...

EDIT: Here it is, from Cowley of course:

Quentin rumors weren’t the only buzzards circling the Sox. There were whispers that it could be “Black Monday’’ for one or several coaches. According to a source, removing coaches still is not a path chairman Jerry Reinsdorf wants to walk down. Williams is a different story, but the chairman gets what the chairman wants.
Edited by The Ginger Kid

Tomorrow should be Judgement Day. Should.

It seems like it's been a loooooong time since we complained about Reinsdorf. If that statement is true, it's time to start b****ing again cause that is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Tomorrow should be Judgement Day. Should.

It seems like it's been a loooooong time since we complained about Reinsdorf. If that statement is true, it's time to start b****ing again cause that is ridiculous.

Agreed

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Oh man, I'll have to dig it up, but it was something I read last week suggesting that KW wanted to fire a coach but Reinsdorf was reluctant. Let me look...

EDIT: Here it is, from Cowley of course:

If you think about it, firing a coach is the biggest copout. Either fire the manager, fire the GM or change some players. Personally, I don't buy the Ozzie/KW relationship being patched up and I think its a weight on the organization. If I had my choice they both would go, but one, either one, I believe would do wonders for the organization. I'm leaning towards Ozzie because he can take Oney and Cowley for that matter with him, and there's no telling how big his head will get if he actually won the war vs. KW, but I will take KW going as well, and you better hire a GM who will be able to go toe to toe with Ozzie.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Well, they are losing mine for next year thats for sure. I already sent a letter.

This is actually a pretty smart idea. If every season ticketholder sent a letter, the "there's nothing to see here, move on" attitude towards change the Sox have shown this year would be a little different.

The sense I get and maybe because its true with me as well, season ticketholders are more incensed with the Sox non action this year than being brutal in 2007 or even getting rid of Jack McDowell in 1995 and trying to sell everyone on Sabo and Kruk or even the White Flag Trade. Maybe its the economy and dollars are more precious now, but spending money watching some players who play like they don't care for an organization that doesn't at least appear to care makes me and I suppose RockRaines and others think maybe its better I spend my money elsewhere.

The organization did put themselves on the spot and they have some guys performing miserably they couldn't give away, but that doesn't mean you have to bat Adam Dunn 3rd or 4th every game. You don't have to make out a line up with Dunn batting 4th and Rios 5th. The numbers Konerko have put up are unreal if you think about it. Theoretically, he should probably get less pitches to hit than anyone in baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
If you think about it, firing a coach is the biggest copout. Either fire the manager, fire the GM or change some players. Personally, I don't buy the Ozzie/KW relationship being patched up and I think its a weight on the organization. If I had my choice they both would go, but one, either one, I believe would do wonders for the organization. I'm leaning towards Ozzie because he can take Oney and Cowley for that matter with him, and there's no telling how big his head will get if he actually won the war vs. KW, but I will take KW going as well, and you better hire a GM who will be able to go toe to toe with Ozzie.

hard to argue with this logic. I've always felt like these kinds of firings are generally red meat thrown to fans, but there have been instances when a coaching change, even a pitching or hitting coach, can have an impact.

off topic, this from Cuddyer. Man I hate the Twins:

And the Twins were loving every minute of it.

“I don’t know what it is,’’ Twins outfielder Michael Cuddyer said with a big smile. “It’s almost like the way the Yankees have it over us, except we play [the Sox] 18 times a year. I don’t know. I wish we could figure it out because we would do it against every team. We just play well. Obviously, we have a lot of confidence playing against them. And we’ve seen their pitchers a lot.’’

Cuddyer also broke a baseball taboo in admitting there are some teams that just make others shrink. That pretty much describes the Sox whenever they see the TC on the hat.

“You don’t ever want to say there is, but you kind of wait around for something to happen,’’ Cuddyer said. “Even if you get out to an early jump, in the back of your mind, you’re still kind of like, ‘OK, we’ve got to keep this pressure on them because things usually end up bad.’ ’’